People with fully functional ethernet/wireless (no drops), post your setups please!

b16a2

26 posts in this topic

Hi All,

Ive been posting quite a bit in the thread to do with dropped ethernet connections, and so I was curious how large of a percentage of people in this forums have a setup which works perfectly.

So if your network connections (wired or wireless) work perfectly with no drops, please throw in a reply listing your machine's setup, and what brand and model network card you are using (built-in or add-on). Also, if you had to apply any sort of fix to get it working, or stable, please do include what you did.

Im hoping this can lead to some sort of pattern forming and maybe those of us suffering from eternal network drops can figure out some way around it.

Just to kick things off, I have Kalyway 10.5.2 on a Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 running on the on-board Marvell Yukon 8056 ethernet port, and I have tried tons of different things to no avail. I still get drops when the machine is sitting idle and downloading a large torrent, however I dont get drops if Im sitting actively at the machine and surfing the web.

Thanks guys!

Both my desktop and notebook system seem to be working well. I don't experience drops at all.

That said, my wireless connection for my notebook seems to be VERY slow under the new update. I'm gonig to have to poke around and see if I can't restore the 10.5.1 kexts to see if it makes a difference.

• 2 months later...

Just got kalyway 10.5.2 running 'almost perfectly' (kalyway and others i stand in awe) on an hp dv2570 triple boot vista ubuntu setup using grub booter and darwin 'silenced'. needless to say my inbuilt 3945abg doesnt work (neither does card reader) and the experimental driver caused it to crash (and seem to have have screwed my vista boot at the same time but thats a separate issue) so i took it off. Howver just on the ofchance i pulled out an old belkin g fd5070 usb dongle.

...works perfectly instant airport recognition sharing with my pc network, no drops...looks a tad ugly bu heyho

anywayone know of a card wifi that works..

anyway back to before i cant belioeve how well its installed :D (ok it took all weekend but still nothing like what i expected :rolleyes: )

Is that the Belkin Wireless G adapter your talking about? I have one and I'll see if the PC reconizes it, if it did that would be awesome and save me $30 from buying a stupid Ethernet adapter.

I have the Belkin F5D7000 (Ralink RT2500 chipset) and it worked by installed the Ralink drivers . Although DHCP would not work for some reason and had to use a static IP. My card also does not show up in network utility as wireless, only ethernet on en1.

Other then that, it is fast and zero disconnects with my d-link dir-555 router.

If anyone else who has a Belkin with this chipset and has a different solution, I would love to hear it as the wireless utility for this card seems to be instable (as it when it loads , I have to sometimes relaunch) .. word. :)

Jay

I have my Ethernet w/ NIC working perfectly and detected in the Apple Networking preference tab, and my Belkin Wireless G USB Adaper working too. For the wireless adapter installation please look here:

Find the Version you are on here: http://web.belkin.com/support/article/?lid=en&aid=5381

Download the drivers here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=541488

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=541524

Just find what one you need download and install, and restart and you have wireless. :)

im running kalaway 10.5.2 on a cheap Compaq Pesario SR217ONX. 3ghz single processor and 2 gigs of ram. I cant say much for my onboard ethernet card, because it blew out during a power surge, but i have a Via Rhine III ethernet card running off a driver from this thread http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;hl=via+rhine made for Via Rhine II. Completely stable. everything else works great hardware wise. The only problems i have is my os is sluggish both in the boot time and actual use of the os. i believe its because of how i have my hard drive set up. My motherboard is made to have hard drives connected via sata but i used a spare hard drive from my other computer to put osx on, and it only hooks up via IDE, So i just plugged it in to my spare IDE connection thats meant for another CD/DVD drive. Im sure this is the reason why its so slow because when i installed the os it took about 3 hours, where as it only took about 45 min when i first installed it on one of my hard drives thats connected via sata. Despite how slow my os is, it doesnt seem to effect my internet, still have above average speeds. i have one other ethernet card connected to this computer from walmart (think its called networkeverywhere or something like that) havent tested that one out yet, ill keep you updated.

My Belkin F5D7000 works flawlessly, plug and play, no drivers and I'm getting a great signal from a router 8 floors below me.

BUT, It must be version 4 or less, I think mine was Version 2. (v2000) - My v6000 of this did not work AT ALL, and was unfixable.

Working for the past year or so. I still use the 10.4.8 Jas install DVD, and I update via straight up Apple Update (but of course backing up system kexts). Had to apply VIARhine.kext for ethernet, and a modified AppleAC97Audio.kext for sound. See specs in sig...

• 1 month later...
My Belkin F5D7000 works flawlessly, plug and play, no drivers and I'm getting a great signal from a router 8 floors below me.

BUT, It must be version 4 or less, I think mine was Version 2. (v2000) - My v6000 of this did not work AT ALL, and was unfixable.

Here is my personal experience:

I have the same wireless PCI card.

I bought it some time ago, for a Tiger 10.4.4 install.

At the time it was one of the very few chances to get a working wi-fi adapter for an hackintosh.

I had to edit the plist adding the right vendor/device numbers.

It worked flawlessly for some time, and many updates...until the install got corrupted.

I waited for some time, and built a new computer (keeping the same wi-fi card), this time for Leopard.

The Leo4All v3 install DVD provides a choice for Broadcom 43xx wi-fi chipsets, and now the card is recognized as third party chipset Airport.

The only small problem i experienced (and only sometimes) was that i had to manually choose the wireless network to connect to.

After installing a QE/CI compatible video card the problem disappeared, it remembers the last SSID iot was connected to.

Not a single hiccup, no dropped packets.

Only one strange thing:

working perfectly with a cheap Netgear access point (WG602 v4), but almost incompatible with a Zyxel ADSL2 router (Prestige 660HW-61):

sometimes the Zyxel SSID goes away, not working with DHCP server (no address), and bad performance when it happens to work (albeit the Zyxel signal is better!).

I will try again now, as i have just updated to 10.5.3 with Kalyway 10.5.3 Combo Update, and then installed the new Airport support package from Apple Software Update.

For anybody looking for the same PCI wi-fi adapter:

look for the fine print on the Belkin box, the newer versions of the card bear the same name but not the same chipset!

Better to do a search on the Web (Broadcom support for Linux) and find a list of all the cards based on 43xx Broadcom chipset family.

ciao

CJ