[HowTo] Leopard 10.5.1 On ASUS A8N/A8N-SLI/A8N32-SLI/Deluxe motherboard installation guide

• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

apreichner

apreichner

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Well thank you for your help. Sorry I'm kind of a noob at it, I'll try those tips.

Maniac10

Maniac10

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts
I'm downloading the iso right now, do you know it's hash? I've seen a 2.44 GB iso and a 2.08 zip I guess it's the same but just in case I would like to check.

Thanks for the time you spend explaining.

My PC is almost identical to yours:

Motherboard: ASUS A8N-SLI
Chipset: nForce4-SLI
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (up to 2400Mhz)
RAM: 1.25Gb DDR2
Video: nVidia GeForce 7300 GS PCI-E 256Mb
Ethernet: Realtek RTL8139
Hard drives: 80 gb IDE windows xp and Leopard
40 gb backup
Display: Viewsonic 2021nwm-2

apreichner

apreichner

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Well I think my best bet is to try and go back and install it using GUID. For some reason Linux doesn't want to work and the GRUB boot cd is a lost cause. If I can't do that then ill try linux again, but let's hope GUID works.

SP1950

SP1950

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

(6)Ok, it's all installed, and the computer should have rebooted itself. At boot time press any key to enter boot option menu, and type "-f -v -s". This will put you in single user mode.

thanks for your guide first! :blush:
i got the leo installed, but my comp reboots after running the above cmd...
how can i fix it?

thanks

r12

r12

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
hi

i have a problem at installing.

first it went only have an inch (the loading bar) also over night

now it does 3/4 and then nothing. hdd an dvd donothing. when reseting and looking at the hdd there are 5gb but it doesn't starte. says something about power off or reset. also when i move the mouse evere 2-3 min....

i patched the image.

LohnenNicht

LohnenNicht

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
make sure yuou hvae the latest bios installed for your motherboard. It wouldn't install or boot from the dvd until I updated my bios.

freshhh

freshhh

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
Any of you have a8n sli premium with alc850 working?

Maniac10

Maniac10

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts
Ok, I managed to make my own extensions.kext with the nforce kext, although I don't have a sata disk it wouldn't install at all without it.

So, I finished the installation, rebooted into Tiger, changed the kernel and extensions and repaired permissions, but when it starts I cannot run the patch because it hangs at boot time. It loads the extensions and when it changes the terminal resolution it reboots without an error code.

If Someone knows why it does that please tell me. I'm gonna try a couple of things now... Wish me luck!

BTW, if anyone needs the Extensions.kext that has medevil's nforce kext just ask.

EDIT: still getting the reboot problem, I'm gonna try the iATKOS_v1.0i_AMD_Test2.ppf later, they say it fixes this issues.

LohnenNicht

LohnenNicht

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
for those of you getting the blinking cursor issue, MAKE SURE YOU INSTALL THIS ON MASTER BOOT RECORD.... NOT GUID.

r12

r12

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
... i used your manual and install now finished. but i have a problem with post install.

i have windows vista at one hdd and mac os at another. i can get into terminal.

but my problem is how i copy the patch files to root. i have the things at an usb stick formated with fat32....

edit//
is the information
disk2sr:device is write locked
normal?

apreichner

apreichner

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
I have one question. If I am following your directions and I want to put the efi folder onto a boot partition, what should the file system be for that boot partition? Does it not matter? Right now I think I'm going to format it Fat32.

Also, for the previous poster. I think what I am going to do is just transfer the files over using linux and then repair the permissions following his directions. You could replace the files using something called MacDrive on windows. It will allow you to read and write to HFS.

LohnenNicht

LohnenNicht

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
no, best to make it ext2, like my instructions tell you.

apreichner

apreichner

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Alright, so I actually was able to add it to GRUB and i have gotten to the point where I need to start copying and replacing files and chmodding. Since I am kind of new at this, how would I go about copying the files from a thumb drive or something and then chmodding them? I think someone asked this a minute ago.

r12

r12

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
i just managed to install it at an usb drive at my notebook.

there it starts perfekt.

but when i plug it in my nforce pc darwin boot pops up and then it just restarts. when using -v it loads a lot thing and then restarts. what am i doin wrong?

at the notebook everything works

apreichner

apreichner

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
So I tried looking the stuff up, but I want to verify to make sure it is the right way. Would it be okay if I found my thumb drive mounted in the /volumes/ folder and then use the CP command to copy the files and folders? Or is there a different command I am supposed to use? Any help on how to copy and replace would be much appreciated; I feel like I am so close to finishing it, but I just need a little more help. Sorry.

-Edit-

Alright so I just tried it, but I keep getting this error that the root is a read-only file system and I can't copy or move any of the files to it. I tried doing the command under sudo also but I keep getting the same error. How did you copy the files and folder to your drive when you did it? I also tried to do it under linux, but I can't get permission to copy or change anything in linux. Any help would be much appreciated.

r12

r12

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
i used mv instead of cp

Spol

Spol

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Interests:Audio
I'm a total noob but I decided to go ahead with these patches because I have the exact same hardware as OP, but mine hangs forever in the white screen with the apple in the middle after I boot the DVD. Any ideas? Do I need to tweak the bios or anything?

Team Scream

Team Scream

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Ok i tried to follow this guide and was NOT able to install using the iAtkos DVD.
So I downloaded the Zephyroth 10.5.2 DVD from the newsgroups and burned it on a PC.
I tried several times to install using the GUID partition scheme but got the blinking cursor at reboot.
THen I re partitioned the drive as MBR and installed Zephyroth with nVinject, and nothing else but the MBR bootloader and I was able to boot right onto Leopard 10.5.2 .

Now here are the problems and what is working.

Networking worked right away no problems

My Video card works but will only allow 1024x768 resolution

Sound does NOT work.

Firefox freezes up if i leave the system siting for more than about 10 minutes with a browser window open and requires a hard reboot.

Software Update works fine, I updated QuickTime and iTunes with no problem at all.

So, If anyone has a working ALC850 kext so I can get sound sorted out and if someone can help me figure out the video issue, this will be a nice little Hackintosh.

System Specs are:

Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
AMD Athlon X2 4800
EVGA 7900 GT-KO
2 Gig Crucial DDR Memory
(2) WD Raptor-X 150GB SATA drives

System is water cooled with CPU, GPU and Memory Water Blocks.
No Overclock at this time everything back to stock speeds for this test.

shealock

shealock

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Team Scream, in the installation of Zephyroth 10.5.2 AMD you need to install AppleAC97Audio. I have the same Motherboard...with Sound!

Team Scream

Team Scream

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Team Scream, in the installation of Zephyroth 10.5.2 AMD you need to install AppleAC97Audio. I have the same Motherboard...with Sound!

Thank you Shealock, I will do that.
What about my video card tho?
It is an EVGA 7900-GT-KO
I am stuck on 1024x768 and I know this cant be right.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy