[HowTo] Leopard 10.5.1 On ASUS A8N/A8N-SLI/A8N32-SLI/Deluxe motherboard installation guide

LohnenNicht

125 posts in this topic

slowly i'm understanding nothing more thx to my bad english :(

I have already prepared a partition on my internal HDD. the drive assembly letter is "F" and i called it "Leopard".

Also i have a external USB-HDD Drive. I had mounted the iATKOS v1.0i.iso with Daemontools and also Nero Image Drive. Both shows me only about 540kb large file  :blink:

I will try your way to installation!

But what i need to restore Mac conform files using a Windows OS to the preferred partition???

When you talk about "patche the iso" you always mean "patch the iATKOS v1.0i with iATKOS_v1.0i_AMD_Test.ppf", right???

After restoring the iso i can boot Leopard only by using pc_efi_v80 right?

Sorry guy for my uncertainly and noobish questions, but i would like to understand correctly!

In the german section nobody want's to help ... damn arrogantly guys  :censored2:

Yes, patch the iso with the PPF patch. Then restore the ISO to the partition you made for it.

Yes, to boot it, you must use the EFI boot loader. I gave you instructions on how to do that in my initial post.

Btw, I don't know of another utility that can restore an ISO image to a partition other than Disk Utility in Mac.

slowly i'm understanding nothing more thx to my bad english :(

I have already prepared a partition on my internal HDD. the drive assembly letter is "F" and i called it "Leopard".

Also i have a external USB-HDD Drive. I had mounted the iATKOS v1.0i.iso with Daemontools and also Nero Image Drive. Both shows me only about 540kb large file :blink:

I will try your way to installation!

But what i need to restore Mac conform files using a Windows OS to the preferred partition???

When you talk about "patche the iso" you always mean "patch the iATKOS v1.0i with iATKOS_v1.0i_AMD_Test.ppf", right???

After restoring the iso i can boot Leopard only by using pc_efi_v80 right?

Sorry guy for my insecuring and noobish questions, but i would like to understand correctly!

In the german section nobody want's to help ... damn arrogantly guys :censored2:

OK, but in your initial post you talk about using linux. I have WinXP.

I don't know how to make bootable my F:\ Partition under WinXP above all to boot iATKOS from it.

I give it up, cause i don't know how to continue. The difficulty level is to much for me.

Thx for your patient and help mate!!!

Propably will save some money and get a original system. The easiest way for myself.

Thx again guy!

here's a guide to help you set up EFI on your hard drive withOUT mac. http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=73952

You'll have to get GRUB though to make it boot if you don't have a bootable hackintosh DVD to use disk utility and startupfiletool. Grub is the better choice if you want to dual boot your system. Get grub from here: http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/

Hey,

i need windows vista or XP 64bit for it. Both supports EFI. (according the Thread).

Assumed i can procure one of them, the problem remains - with my english knowledge and the difficulty level, i have no chance.

I don't know what is GNU GRUB, how to use it, what meaning some instructions and anything else. In the german section you find only stupid arrogantly guys ... cause nobody shows interesting to help me out.

against, thx a lot. I'll wait for better releases or decide me to purchase a Mac Pro!

After 4 days and only 3,5 hours of sleep, my head is f :censored2: d up!

Have fun with your system :thumbsup_anim:

Installing as I type this. I just realised that because I erased my linux partition to install Leopard to that grub will be gone. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it >.>

Ive got some grub boot discs lying around so hopefully I can fix it. Ideally I will want to dual boot with Windows XP.

Alright well I'll tell you what I did.

My motherboard is an Asus A8N5X with an AMD Athlon 64 3200 processor.

I was in Windows vista the whole time. I downloaded the ISO, PPF O Matic, and the Patch. I used PPF to patch the iso and then I went into Nero Burning ROM. Selected Recorder, Burn Image. I then burned the iso to a DVD-R. I restarted my computer and booted the DVD. I am in the process of installing it as I type this.

So I can't yet guarantee if it will work or not, but I didn't bother with the restoring the iso to a hard disk, etc. So if anybody is having any trouble I guess they can try what I did and see what happens.

However, I am also a little confused about the post installation steps. I have a thumb drive I can store the patch folder on, but I do not know how to replace or move the files to the directories from the command line view. Is there something else I should be doing?

command line view in what? Are you trying to do it from within linux or the terminal from within the installation?

Just move the pc_efi_v80 loader to the hard drive of your choice. You CAN use the link to the EFI guide I posted that will show you how to install the pc_efi_v80 loader onto your MBR and you could boot directly from that, but the steps I used was for grub, as I prefer to use grub as my boot loader, even without a linux installation. For grub, just put the pc_efi_v80 loader into your /boot linux partition and edit your menu.plist or if you have leopard on another hard drive you could put it on there and then specify which hard drive it's on, but you'll have to make sure it's an ext2 file system. Grub cannot boot directly from HFS+ file system. Of course ff leopard is on the same hard drive as your grub install, you won't have to specify a hard drive number at boot time.

Alright this is what i have done so far...

I installed it to a different hdd than my windows hard drive. I rebooted my computer, removed the cd, and attempted to boot the hard drive I installed it to. It showed my bios booting screen but all I see is the little flashing _ sign at the bottom. I'm not sure exactly what to do now, seeing as how I can't boot into the hard drive I installed it to. I made sure I selected Master Boot Record, but I haven't patched any of the post-installation files yet as you stated to do in the tutorial

Post Install:

(6)Ok, it's all installed, and the computer should have rebooted itself. At boot time press any key to enter boot option menu, and type "-f -v -s". This will put you in single user mode.

ok, did a menu come up saying "press any key to enter bootup options" before the flashing cursor or something like that?

Try to boot it again just to make sure it doesn't say that.

Btw, yo'ure going to have to install grub on there if you want to dual boot your system like that. But you could also use the link to the EFI guide I posted. I'd advise to use grub though.

No, there is a thing for my bios that says Press F8 for Boot List, but that is what I used to choose to boot the Leopard hard drive. If I keep the cd in the drive there is a message that says press any key for boot options, but that is booting from the cd and not the actual hard drive it is installed to.

ok, make sure you have the latest BIOS installed for one. SEcondly, if you installed leopard in the way that it would overwrite your windows MBR, then you have to install grub. The DVD doesn't have EFI so it doesn't install a boot loader. You have to use grub. That's the easiest way. Google for grub boot floppy images. There are plenty out there. You could even use a redhat install disk. Anything that has grub could be used to boot your system.

Btw, I wrote this guide to show you how I installed it on my system. You have to use EFI to load the iATKOS install.

The flashing underscore is still at my bios screen. Like it shows my hard drives and my usb drives, and my pci device listing, but at the bottom of the screen is shows a flashing underscore. Usually if I am booting windows, the screen will flash for a few seconds, and then go into the windows startup process. But on here I just see the flashing underscore.I don't have GRUB installed, i guess I could try to install linux on a partition on my external hard drive. I don't have a floppy disk drive in my computer. I think I'll install Ubuntu to a 11gb partition on my external hdd. After I do that, are there any steps I have to take to add it to GRUB, or do I just restart and GRUB will detect it?

If you had picked GUID to install iATKOS, you could have booted from your hard drive, but then you wouldn't have been able to use GRUB to boot it.

The flashing underscore is still at my bios screen. Like it shows my hard drives and my usb drives, and my pci device listing, but at the bottom of the screen is shows a flashing underscore. Usually if I am booting windows, the screen will flash for a few seconds, and then go into the windows startup process. But on here I just see the flashing underscore.I don't have GRUB installed, i guess I could try to install linux on a partition on my external hard drive. I don't have a floppy disk drive in my computer. I think I'll install Ubuntu to a 11gb partition on my external hdd. After I do that, are there any steps I have to take to add it to GRUB, or do I just restart and GRUB will detect it?
You can look up the grub docs. Basically just go into grub and while in the command line in grub select your root device (where your grub files are located) by :
root (hd0,1)

THen you can just type

setup (hd0)

and it will setup grub on that hard drive's MBR. Of course, if you want to add Entries into your grub for booting windows/linux/leopard you can just look up the docs for that. It's not hard. An easier way of doing it though since you're installing linux would be to just get into linux first and then edit your /boot/grub/menu.plist file with something like the entries I showed you for leopard. I don't remember what it takes to boot windows but I do have it bootable from my grub menu. You can google that.

I'm downloading the iso right now, do you know it's hash? I've seen a 2.44 GB iso and a 2.08 zip I guess it's the same but just in case I would like to check.

Thanks for the time you spend explaining.

My PC is almost identical to yours:

Motherboard: ASUS A8N-SLI

Chipset: nForce4-SLI

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (up to 2400Mhz)

RAM: 1.25Gb DDR2

Video: nVidia GeForce 7300 GS PCI-E 256Mb

Ethernet: Realtek RTL8139

Hard drives: 80 gb IDE windows xp and Leopard

40 gb backup

Display: Viewsonic 2021nwm-2

(6)Ok, it's all installed, and the computer should have rebooted itself. At boot time press any key to enter boot option menu, and type "-f -v -s". This will put you in single user mode.

thanks for your guide first! :blush:

i got the leo installed, but my comp reboots after running the above cmd...

how can i fix it?

thanks

hi

i have a problem at installing.

first it went only have an inch (the loading bar) also over night

now it does 3/4 and then nothing. hdd an dvd donothing. when reseting and looking at the hdd there are 5gb but it doesn't starte. says something about power off or reset. also when i move the mouse evere 2-3 min....

i patched the image.

Ok, I managed to make my own extensions.kext with the nforce kext, although I don't have a sata disk it wouldn't install at all without it.

So, I finished the installation, rebooted into Tiger, changed the kernel and extensions and repaired permissions, but when it starts I cannot run the patch because it hangs at boot time. It loads the extensions and when it changes the terminal resolution it reboots without an error code.

If Someone knows why it does that please tell me. I'm gonna try a couple of things now... Wish me luck!

BTW, if anyone needs the Extensions.kext that has medevil's nforce kext just ask.

EDIT: still getting the reboot problem, I'm gonna try the iATKOS_v1.0i_AMD_Test2.ppf later, they say it fixes this issues.

... i used your manual and install now finished. but i have a problem with post install.

i have windows vista at one hdd and mac os at another. i can get into terminal.

but my problem is how i copy the patch files to root. i have the things at an usb stick formated with fat32....

edit//

is the information

disk2sr:device is write locked

normal?