Lenovo ThinkPad X61 Tablet

575 posts in this topic

Hi. I'm an X61 tablet owner and would like to try this out. However, the first post of this thread says the instructions are out of date. Are there more recent instructions for installation anywhere? I'm a little confused about where to start.

Thanks.

Can anyone help? I've tried to get the tablet to workwith iATKos 5i like this -

TabletMagic - http://sourceforge.net/projects/tabletmagic/ (tried b14 and b15)

ThinkPadTabletEnabler.kext from above.

Copied /System/Library/Extensions/Apple16X50Serial.kext out to somewhere i didn't need elevated permissions to edit it.

view contents - went to /Contents/PlugIns/Apple16X50ACPI.kext viewed contents on that and went to /Contents/Info.plist double clicked to open in property list editor.

in that browse to Information Property List - > IOKitPersonalities -> ACPI 16X50 Serial Port -> IONameMatch : changed it to an array and added strings PNP0501 to WACF004, saved the file. (it looks identical to the one on offer to download here)

use kext helper to load the newly modified kext, also hit the kext permissions button and ran the script.

to all accounts this should have worked, but it has not for me, it has added serial0 to the dropdown in tabletmagic, but no tablet is detected :-(

I have tried with the serial port in the BIOS listed enabled and disabled it seems to make no difference to the number of serial ports TabletMagic lists.

x61t SXGA+.

checking ioreg -l it confirms that WACF004 is the correct string.

All i get is 'no tablet found' in TabletMagic.

I had a little bit of trouble getting my x61 to recognize the 38400 baud rate, so i downloaded the table magic source and replaced 19200 with 38400 everywhere. After compiling, it works perfectly! I attached the necessary replacement here:

Just follow the steps below

0) unzip TabletMagicDaemon.zip

1) In Tablet Magic, under "Extras" select "Kill Daemon"

2) In terminal, type

sudo cp /Library/PreferencePanes/TabletMagic.prefPane/Contents/Resources/TabletMagicDaemon /Library/PreferencePanes/TabletMagic.prefPane/Contents/Resources/TabletMagicDaemon.old

sudo cp /path/to/TabletMagicDaemon /Library/PreferencePanes/TabletMagic.prefPane/Contents/Resources/TabletMagicDaemon

3) In Tablet Magic, select "Enabled"

Note that under "Setup", the baud rate will appear as 2400. It will work anyway.

Hope this helps someone,

Cheers.

TabletMagicDaemon.zip

I had a little bit of trouble getting my x61 to recognize the 38400 baud rate, so i downloaded the table magic source and replaced 19200 with 38400 everywhere. After compiling, it works perfectly! I attached the necessary replacement here:

Just follow the steps below

0) unzip TabletMagicDaemon.zip

1) In Tablet Magic, under "Extras" select "Kill Daemon"

2) In terminal, type

sudo cp /Library/PreferencePanes/TabletMagic.prefPane/Contents/Resources/TabletMagicDaemon /Library/PreferencePanes/TabletMagic.prefPane/Contents/Resources/TabletMagicDaemon.old

sudo cp /path/to/TabletMagicDaemon /Library/PreferencePanes/TabletMagic.prefPane/Contents/Resources/TabletMagicDaemon

3) In Tablet Magic, select "Enabled"

Note that under "Setup", the baud rate will appear as 2400. It will work anyway.

Hope this helps someone,

Cheers.

TabletMagicDaemon.zip

Hi Guffin!

Were you able to have your X61T touchscreen working?

I would presume your X61T is the Multi-Touch Multi-View screen as you are using 38400.

I downloaded your daemon and followed your procedure but i'm not getting positive results. And when i reboot the computer, it shows that Apple16X50Serial.kext cannot be used and was wrongly installed. Re-install/repaired permissions but tablet still not working. BTW i have changed WACF004 to WACF008 on the info.plist of Apple16X50ACPI.kext.

Appreciate if you can perhaps post your entire procedure here.

Have been working over a month to have my touchscreen work but still zero outcome.

Can anybody connect to secured wireless access points? I purchased the atheros based ibm card from the first post, I can connect to unsecured access points fine but my system will not connect to secured. Does anyone know if there is a fix for this? Also can the the screen be rotated in mac osx?

I followed the original advice of outZider and bought a $29.99 Atheros Mini PCI-E adapter in the hopes of having working internal wireless.... no go :thumbsup_anim:

The reason for my problem is really stupid, but quite the showstopper. Unlike 99% of Mini PCI-E chips, my X61T's 4965ABGN is screwed in. And these are insanely tiny screws, tightened down to the point of appearing to be a part of the PCB itself, made of extremely soft metal. I tried to use a Phillips screwdriver that fit the slots perfectly, but I just ended up stripping the screws - now I'm guaranteed never to be able to replace my wifi card, even if it goes kaput.

On the upshot, however, I got everything back together, cleaned a bit of dirt out of the machine, and got Ubuntu running great on it, all without any risk of being sued by Apple. Time to RMA my Atheros card. A shame... it could have actually worked.

Next time, Lenovo, please -- for the love of god -- go easy on the power drill you use to tighten down the screws.

I recently got Leopard running on my x60 Tablet. I'm trying to get TabletMagic working, but it doesn't seem to recognize my tablet. I installed the enabler and TabletMagic, but the only Port that's listed is Automatic. I tried everything I can think of, but it never seems to do anything.

Any ideas? Anyone got this working on an x60 Tablet?

I haven't really tried any of the other hardware besides WiFi, which works after a few hours of work, yay.

Not sure if you put the enabler in your EFI partition or somewhere else other than S/L/E, for me this kext has to be in S/L/E and doesnt work from any boot132 folders.

If you manage to have the serial0 port available and sitll cant have the tablet detected you can try my hacked tabletmagic http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...948&st=400#

i have mine in S/L/E and still no luck. I'm wondering if there's some other hardware I need to get working first...

I followed the original advice of outZider and bought a $29.99 Atheros Mini PCI-E adapter in the hopes of having working internal wireless.... no go ;)

The reason for my problem is really stupid, but quite the showstopper. Unlike 99% of Mini PCI-E chips, my X61T's 4965ABGN is screwed in. And these are insanely tiny screws, tightened down to the point of appearing to be a part of the PCB itself, made of extremely soft metal. I tried to use a Phillips screwdriver that fit the slots perfectly, but I just ended up stripping the screws - now I'm guaranteed never to be able to replace my wifi card, even if it goes kaput.

On the upshot, however, I got everything back together, cleaned a bit of dirt out of the machine, and got Ubuntu running great on it, all without any risk of being sued by Apple. Time to RMA my Atheros card. A shame... it could have actually worked.

Next time, Lenovo, please -- for the love of god -- go easy on the power drill you use to tighten down the screws.

I feel you man...in the same hole now...tiny screws made of very soft material...easily stripped...

what to do now...

update: drilled the stripped screw out, phooh~

I miss my X61 tablet.

Any ideas? Anyone got this working on an x60 Tablet?

As far as I remember, the X60 tablet worked without the enabler. Remove the enabler, as it'll screw with it, and just change the Apple16X50ACPI.kext to WACF004 from PNP0501 , and it should start right up. It almost made me trade in my X61 for the X60 before figuring out how to make the enabler.

I followed the original advice of outZider and bought a $29.99 Atheros Mini PCI-E adapter in the hopes of having working internal wireless.... no go ;)

Had the same problem here. Tried everything up to the point my nerves got wrecked. One screw was VERY tight. I finally managed to get it out by using a Dremel and literally cut a new "line" in the head of the screw (the crosshead was damadged anyway). This new made screwhead helped me to get the little devil out. Maybe the heat that my Dremel produced helped also to loosen the screw.

But BE VERY CAREFUL !!! if you try this.

for those wondering which components are _NOT_ working

1) screen brightness

2) multitouch

3) intel 4965 wireless card

4) rotation buttons on the tablet (toolbox as well)

5) integrated SD card; pci framework -- however i am writing a kext for this.

3) intel 4965 wireless card AND STACK (bluetooth is part of this wireless stack)

Bluetooth is a completely different card, connection, and manufacturer on the X61, so no, it is not part of the same stack. When did it stop working? I remember reading something about 10.5.6 breaking bluetooth on this machine, but I would imagine that a kext import from a previous version would fix this.

Bluetooth is a completely different card, connection, and manufacturer on the X61, so no, it is not part of the same stack. When did it stop working? I remember reading something about 10.5.6 breaking bluetooth on this machine, but I would imagine that a kext import from a previous version would fix this.

alright -- well it has never worked for me -- i understand that its a different card -- but i imagine that its initialized via the "wireless radio" off / on switch -- the same way the wireless card is. AFAICT there is no way to turn it on -- if you provide me a method i'll be happy to test it; however, seeing as there is no proprietary bluetooth on switch and no initialization on kernel load it doesn't exist to the machine. :)

alright -- well it has never worked for me -- i understand that its a different card -- but i imagine that its initialized via the "wireless radio" off / on switch -- the same way the wireless card is. AFAICT there is no way to turn it on -- if you provide me a method i'll be happy to test it; however, seeing as there is no proprietary bluetooth on switch and no initialization on kernel load it doesn't exist to the machine. :)

True, the wireless switch is connected through there. This usually means that the bluetooth was shut off in windows before shut down, which sets a boot flag. Boot into Windows, activate bluetooth, reboot into OS X, turn on the wireless switch, and bluetooth will work. Double check in System Profiler under USB devices.

Can somebody help me. I purchased an atheros card mentioned in the 1st thread and tried to follow this

"To get your Atheros card working, pop into a terminal, and go to /System/Library/Extensions/IO802.11Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros.kext/Contents. Edit Info.plist with vi, nano, pico, or your editor or choice. Go down to IOPCIMatch, and under that, with all the <string> entries, add <string>pci168c,1014</string>. Save and exit, and manually load it by entering "kextload /System/Library/Extensions/IO802.11Family.kext" You'll be able to head into System Preferences, Network, and watch as it adds an AirPort option. Hit the 'Turn AirPort On' button, and you're in business.

If you can't get it to turn on, go to "Advanced", and click some checkbox, like "Disconnect when user logs out". Hit Okay, and hit Apply at the main Networking window. The Apply button will turn your card on, and it will work from then on out. Have fun!"

Problem is when it Says Go down to IOPCIMatch and under that.... I don't see that anywhere. What am I doing wrong. I've never edited a Kext before so I'm a noob at this. Been playin with this for over 2 weeks trying to get it going. I'm on a lenovo T60, Kalyway 10.5.2. I had to use Zenders bios to get my system to boot with the card installed.

HELP PLEASE.