Graphics card, where is the sweet spot?

legendariske_harehjort

14 posts in this topic

Hi,

I presume it is worth getting a graphics card, rather than onboard graphics for leopard?

I also doubt that I can fully use a Geeforce8800Ultra1GBGTXSXFXTurbo with regular leopard use?

So where does that leave me if I want a MacPro fast machine for reasonable money,...?

I have only decided on a GA P35-DS3 so far,...

Thank you,

walther

Thank you for the replies,

I need it for everyday use mostly, lots of application switching, but I also write some OpenGL once in a while.

Apps I use in order: TexShop, XCode, Photoshop, ImageJ, iPhoto, Premiere, GarageBand, Safari,...

I would just hate to buy a card, and afterwards regret i did not go for a better model or more ram or whatever,...

I can find lots of reviews for cards (most in relation to gaming), but im not sure how much of what I do is done by the graphics card.

In short: I'm looking for a card, not the cheapest and not an insane watercooledoverclocked gaming card, unless it gives a really sweet leopard experience :D and it should be supported well without much tinkering

Thank you,

Walther

I got a Asus 8600GT 256MB Silent. Runs really well so far and has lots of horsepower left just in case. Everyday Leopard is smooth as silk. I also tested some gaming (WinXP on separate HD, also OS X native) - very good, max res and full details possible. I especially like the silent version 'cuz it's -uuh- silent. :-) Keeps me concentrated during everyday work.

i love my old crt screen

ATI generally has better RAMDAC quality (even 10bit for quite a while). Plus Apple's OpenGL implementation has favored ATI, though the opposite is true in other OS's.

The 8600GT is pretty nice Windows gaming card for <$80. The stock heatsink/fan on most 8600GTs are complete noisy garbage. If you care about what you hear you might want to be careful about which one of those you choose. Otherwise I'd think a cheap fanless ATI HD 2400 would be fine--pretty much what Apple has in the low-end iMac. (AMD is actually integrating the same GPU core in their newest chipsets--not that it is useful for us.)

IMHO, the Geforce 7x00s are all pretty overpriced for what you get. The 7600GT and 7900GS are the best of the lot, but they tend to have the same crappy fans as the 8600GT. Some versions are better, and you should be able to get a used one more reasonably.

excellent, thx,

Has either of you tried using VGA, or is it only DVI that is working? (i love my old crt screen)

And have you tried a dual monitor setup?

Thank you,

walther

Both work here on my main machine I'm only using the VGA via a DVI to VGA adapter as my second monitor for watching video on, there is nothing like an old VGA monitor for good colour have not seen a LCD match one yet my 2007WFP comes close but its still not entirely there. Oh used the NVInstallerV.31.pkg to install the graphics driver using a 7900GS KO from E-VGA.