OSX86 Dreamweaver and Photoshop.

Escape311

28 posts in this topic

2 of the programs I use the most in Windows is Dreamweaver MX and Photoshop CS as I am a webdesigner. I would like to find something comparable if possible to both of them for OSX86 10.4.3. I do need FTP access as well.

Does anybody know what programs would be somewhat comparable to those? I know there is The Gimp for replacing Photoshop but haven't been able to find it for OSX86. And what about Dreamweaver?

Thanks.

Both programs work, and work very well. One issue you may run into though is performance. As you have an SSE2 CPU, some performance issues might occur. Also, you didn't state if you had an ATI or something else that allows you to get CI & QE. If this is the case, both programs are pretty snappy - I've used both to do actual client work.

I have issues with dreamweaver. when I type text into it, the font goes all... grungy... messed up. I think its due to the fact my gfx card has no driver. or that I'm running SSE2. dunno, but it means that although DW runs fast, its pretty unusable.

(I don't have the font thing with any other program, just DW. wierd)

Although it's hard to find a photoshop replacement, there are a few apps that might be able to take it's place - one has something quartz in the name (forgot the name) but it's native and easy to do basic (and some advanced) image editing.

You might also consider switching to another web development app - I've found most of Dreamweaver's features to be available elsewhere (without the bloat!) and you could probably find some unibin versions.

You may not be looking to change your workflow, but these things might tide you over. :|

Mashugly, the application you're referring to is called Live Quartz, I think you should be able to find it if you google.

Another great app (though it's not free) is GraphicConverter. It's also available in the unibin format, and it has the closest features to photoshop that I've seen on a unibin app for the Mac.

Sweet! You guys have answered just about every question I might have. I probably should have noted that I have a GeForce 4 MX420 and a Radeon 9000 Pro gfx card, which unfortunatly for now are practically useless until macvidia releases their new driver for 10.4.3. Plus, I couldn't for the life of me get my radeon 9000 working very well. Of course it's an ass old card too! ;) Otherwise, I may build a new system with the GMA950 Graphics as that seems to be one of the best supported graphics chipsets right now.

Mashugly: What other apps do you think would be suuficient for web development? Honestly, Dreamweaver has been the only thing I have ever used and while it's fine for editing source and uploading through FTP, the preview pane is completely pointless for ANY CSS design. Nothing ever displays properly. So if you have any good suggestions on different apps, I would be more than willing to make a switch. :)

And thanks again guys for the responses.

Sweet! You guys have answered just about every question I might have. I probably should have noted that I have a GeForce 4 MX420 and a Radeon 9000 Pro gfx card, which unfortunatly for now are practically useless until macvidia releases their new driver for 10.4.3. Plus, I couldn't for the life of me get my radeon 9000 working very well. Of course it's an ass old card too! :happymac: Otherwise, I may build a new system with the GMA950 Graphics as that seems to be one of the best supported graphics chipsets right now.

Mashugly: What other apps do you think would be suuficient for web development? Honestly, Dreamweaver has been the only thing I have ever used and while it's fine for editing source and uploading through FTP, the preview pane is completely pointless for ANY CSS design. Nothing ever displays properly. So if you have any good suggestions on different apps, I would be more than willing to make a switch. :D

And thanks again guys for the responses.

How about iWeb? It does css layout perfectly, BUT as far as I know it's only a visual editor, not a code direct editor, but I'm hoping it will be a good visual tool to go along with a good syntax checking, code-reminding web code editor.

Ok so Photoshop works rather beautifully but Dreamweaver is a no-go. I try to install and it crashes the system big time. It's Macromedia Suite 8. Is there a different one that works?

Also, I checked out Nvu and that seems VERY promising. PLUS, I can use it on all 3 of my machines(Mac, Windows, Linux). Thanks for that link.

I only have a SSE2 CPU and DrwamWeaver works fine.

How about iWeb? It does css layout perfectly, BUT as far as I know it's only a visual editor, not a code direct editor, but I'm hoping it will be a good visual tool to go along with a good syntax checking, code-reminding web code editor.

iWeb is really not that great. Its a good Web App for someone's Grandmother or a totally computer illiterate family member who just wants a web site to show off their latest vacation pics. but in no means is it good for someone looking for a Dreamweaver alternative. Which is a real shame cause thats what I was hoping for. Maybe Apple will release a iWeb Pro later on.

i have full adobe cs2 and macromedia studio 8 on my machine installed...

what can i say: emulation is emulation. sometimes, when trying to edit large files in photoshop it crashes without any messages. inDesign works great, can't say something bad about it... mm flash and dreamweaver works stable, but slowly than windows analogs...

what about dreamweaver analogs... adobe goLive ;) throught rosetta (but is there a sence?)

i have full adobe cs2 and macromedia studio 8 on my machine installed...

what can i say: emulation is emulation. sometimes, when trying to edit large files in photoshop it crashes without any messages. inDesign works great, can't say something bad about it... mm flash and dreamweaver works stable, but slowly than windows analogs...

what about dreamweaver analogs... adobe goLive :happymac: throught rosetta (but is there a sence?)

ummm... analogs? analog is similar to meaning "not digital" in english. by analogs do you mean non-native (non-intel osx) versions of applications?

I use photoshop extensively on my sse3 system (CS2, fully updated) and it's great. not even that slow, just that it takes about one minute to startup (like all of the adobe programs). indesign, illustrator, photoshop, all working perfectly. But I'd PREFER a faster graphic editing suite.

Style Master is a great CSS editor, with a ton of contextual help.

http://www.westciv.com/style_master/

It's not a unibin yet that I'm aware of. You might check the Apple site for a unibin editor. Your best bet may be to go with BBEdit and then just use Firefox for previewing. Style Master is also cross platform (Windows) which is nice.

ummm... analogs? analog is similar to meaning "not digital" in english. by analogs do you mean non-native (non-intel osx) versions of applications?

i've forgot to sorry for my bad English... :happymac:

in russian "analog (аналог)" has several meanings. one of them is that one thing can be used except of another... similar to it... do you understand me? what word is used to say that?