AppleHDA.kext from Mac OS X 10.5.2

tom3q

11 posts in this topic

Hi.

I've looked at the new AppleHDA extension from 10.5.2 update and that's what i found:

- layouts and path maps are not anymore located in AppleHDA.kext\Contents\Info.plist - they can be found in new plugin - AppleHDAPlatformDriver.kext

- AppleHDAController.kext is matching devices by IOPCIClassMatch, but there is also an additional protection, which checks IORegistry entry of audio device - its name must begin with HDEF not AZAL or something else

I will add more information if i find something interesting.

EDIT:

Device name protection can be bypassed by patching the extension. (I don't know whether i can put here the patched version) Also this version in my opinion gives slightly better sound quality and on my ALC889A, especially with iTunes' sound processing enabled.

EDIT 2:

As Taruga has found some time ago, 10.5.2 extension supports some new codecs. Refer to that post: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=77191

At the moment i'm working on universal patch for AZAL* and HDEF* (my current patch only works with AZAL codecs).

EDIT 3:

(EXPERIMENTAL) Universal patched version (on AZAL* codecs it throws some assertions, but it shouldn't matter). Extension contains layout and path maps for ALC889A:

AppleHDA.tar.bz2

EDIT 4:

This kext is not for normal/usual use. It's experimental and should be used for making support for these new codecs only. Maybe in future it will be as functional as previous kexts patched with Taruga's patcher, but not now.

Hi.

I've looked at the new AppleHDA extension from 10.5.2 update and that's what i found:

- layouts and path maps are not anymore located in AppleHDA.kext\Contents\Info.plist - they can be found in new plugin - AppleHDAPlatformDriver.kext

- AppleHDAController.kext is matching devices by IOPCIClassMatch, but there is also an additional protection, which checks IORegistry entry of audio device - its name must begin with HDEF not AZAL or something else

I will add more information if i find something interesting.

EDIT:

Device name protection can be bypassed by patching the extension. (I don't know whether i can put here the patched version) Also this version in my opinion gives slightly better sound quality and on my ALC889A, especially with iTunes' sound processing enabled.

I don't think posting it would harm... :wacko:

Are there any NEW entries in the kext: e.g. 198x support?

Take care,

Tek_No

Good new, there are mentions of AD1988, so if anybody has some feedback about how it works, you're welcome. I'll try to test myself ASAP, unless I see in the mean time final testimonies saying it doesn't work.

About posting it here, unless sources are available, this is probably under copyright of apple, and shouldn't be modified/posted here.

however, this is not the only place...

I looked at your link, alas it seems to be a very invasive way of downloading (needs email, private infos, client software...)

Couldn't you upload it to a "lighter" and well known host ?

Thanks fot it anyway :D

I think I had clicked the wrong place ! Sorry about that :D

Hi, I've just taken your kext, and manually inserted the info from my 10.4.11 AppleHDA.kext patched kext into AppleHDAPlatformDriver.kext info.plist and voilà, it´s working :), being the main point mine is an ALC883 from an Asus P5KR.

At the moment I've just tested the line output cause I don't need anything else.

On the other hand I think I've heard a "pop" like sound when I first opened iTunes... apart from that it seems being working just fine.

AppleHDA.kext.zip