OSx86: The Ultimate Gateway Drug *long post warning*

Andrey

35 posts in this topic

Yeah you're right. I was being a bit too sure by saying "it doesn't hurt them". :hysterical:

It certainly helps them though. A lot of people including myself have OS X running on their PC's and love it. and much like the orginal poster I too started off with OSX86 only to buy a real mac.

I just got tired of all the problems I was having and worrying about updating and kernel panics. I dont get much of it anymore but having a real mac is better

How many people go away cursing OS X because they couldn't install OSx86 or some update killed their system?

A large majority of the population isn't discerning enough to separate the OS X from OSx86 and myths/lies about Macs and OS X get perpetuated.

Probably not that many get these two confused. Anyone coming here and learning about this stuff, etc. has to be at least somewhat computer savvy, which means they can discern. I'm sure there's exceptions, but I would say they are few. Most people who attempt this either give up and lose interest, not thinking more or less of OS X; the others who succeed, the vast majority of them seem to grow to love it.

If it wasn't for OSx86 I would have never switched. Apple has made thousands from me personally because of this, and will continue to make much more in the future. I've also converted 4 of my friends, and probably "planted seeds" with many more.

I would say the positive impact FAR outweighs the negative.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Moderator, you should get royalties or something from Apple because I'm sure plenty of people here started out with Hackintoshes and eventually moved up to the real deal. I stared out with an old 17" Sager monster laptop in 2005 where I had installed OSX86 on an external drive so I could see what the big hubbub was about with this OSX. Boy did I fall for it. I first bought a MacBook Pro a few months later (like 6 months) and then in the end of 2006 I bought my pride and joy, a MacPro 2.66ghz which I now have with 8gigs of RAM, ATI X1900XT, 1tb of storage, a ton of cool software, plus Vista Ultimate in Boot Camp as well as a ton of cool Windows games. Am now eagerly awaiting my nVidia 8800GT for 1st Gen MacPros to replace the ATI card. This MacPro kicks ass! It's happy with everything I throw at it and will be even happier once I get that updated video card. I was actually planning on selling my MacPro on eBay and using that money to buy the new 2008 MacPro but really, it didn't make sense to me since this 2006 MacPro is so good. Oh, it also helps that I have the Gateway XHD3000 30" LCD with this.

Thanks to everyone here. I know my post count is low but I do a lot of reading and only post when compelled to reply to topics like this one. Again, Apple should be happy of insanelymac.com because I'm sure it's contributed to the recent upsurge in PC market share. It's not just the iPod. Well, perhaps for the non-technically savvy it is the iPod, but for the likes of us it's sites like this one that lead us in a path of enlightenment.

Interesting Discussion.

I too am hooked on osx. It only took a few weeks for me -happy to be "dll free". I really like the way you can use the cool osx GUI and then in a second drop to terminal and start tearing into the guts of the machine.

I have spent years surounded by hardcore media mac addicts & was always impressed by their hardware. But I hate to buy things, particularly expensive things. I like to start at the free but lame/barely working level & then work my way up. Think how much you have learnt by using/configuring osx. I dont know any mac users that know the first thing about darwin or kexts or even hardware.

Personally I dont think that Mac are bothered by osx86, as long as it's not on a manufacturing/commercial basis -or they would have moved against it. read an interesting post from someone who called Mac Helpline & said they wanted to buy a leopard dvd & install it on their windows machine. Story was: the advice was to go ahead by all means,not illegal -but they wouldn't be getting any support for it.

Been looking at hardware to build a good everyday desktop & the mac mini is looking good in comparison -suitably hacked of course. The graphics capabilities look rather underwhelming, built in graphics :unsure: . still -im on a budget & my everyday desktop has intel 82845GL onboard, cant be any worse!

Threres no doubt about how good their OS is, but the prices/choice of hardware and corporate policies are very unnatractive to me.

example, plan to encode the buyers zip code into tunes bought on iTunes wtf?

I'm back to

running a NEW Dell Dimension 9200...... 10.5.2

running an NEW HP DV6716EZ......10.5.2

no more G4's......

SticMAN

7 Months, running an old HPnx7010........

5 Months, running a NEW Dell Dimension 9200......

3 Weeks, running a G4 AGP 450MHz Graphite.....

4 Days, running a G4 AGP 1.33GHz Graphite.....

see where this is going?

I'm a convert

SticMAN

ps I mailed a copy of the first post to my wife the other day, NOW she understands, she says!

• 2 months later...
It also Xbenches 18% better and GeekBenches 12% better than my Hackintosh, despite its faster hard drive and processors.

Andrey, glad you like your Mac but wanted to point out an inaccuracy to you. Although the X2s clock speed is indeed higher, an X2 is actually a significantly slower processor than a Core2 Duo. An X2 would have to run at about 3GHz to xbench the same as a 2GHz Core2. So your higher xbench is to be expected. Just thought I'd point this out.

I myself too, am a recent convert from the 10.4.8 days. I've been through every distro out there, and settled with leo4all for a good year, before i gave in last week and picked up myself a 24 inch iMac . Definitely a gateway drug.

Started with a Dell Dimension 9100, everything worked perfect but the video card that was an 8800GTS, later on drivers came out and i had a fully functional hackingtosh, and for over a year i used multi boot with Vista, on May of this year, i sold that PC with everything it had, including spare vista and XP installation discs, soon after, i bought an Apple imac AL 20" and not planning on going back to windows anytime soon.

Interestingly I started with a Hackintosh, still have it and use it as my main computer. (It's a laptop, and I can't afford a MacBook atm - however my next computer will be a MBP).

However I didn't run and buy new. When my desktop PC died I went and got a 1999 vintage PowerMac G4. And I must say I love it. It runs Tiger just great and with a few cheap tweaks here and there, I will have it screaming along with Leopard soon :)

• 3 weeks later...

Have to agree. I started with a Dell XPS 1710 from work and loved it. Tax free weekend here in GA starts Thursday and we'll be picking up a 20" iMac for now with an eye on getting my wife a macbook around Christmas time. When the mini finally gets redesigned we may purchase one of those for the kids. Of course, I could always give them the iMac and get myself a Mac Pro..... Gateway drug indeed.