Marvell 88E1116

DTPHawk

3 posts in this topic

Biostar TForce 550 SE Mobo

Leopard 10.5.1 AMD

I followed this guide to install the drivers for my Marvell 88E1116 (shows up nForce Networking Controller in windows xp) built in lan. I know it's not written for Leopard but it works great for me so far. Everything was working perfectly for a week or so.

At the time (being very new to the osx86 scene) i was having problems booting into normal mode so i was using -x switch to get into safe mode. After doing some research i found out i was having a common problem, the "com.apple.GeForce Kernel Panic Issue." So i went ahead and followed these steps to resolve it.

boot with -s
mount -uw /
rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/GeForce.kext
rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/Ge*.kext
rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/NV*kext
<code>exit
</code>

Everything went just fine and i now found myself in normal mode for the first time. It was awesome, i was able to get my sound and video working nicely and everything! Then i went to get online and i noticed that my nic was no longer functioning. So i did a power reset like the driver guide above said to do. That did nothing. Then i tried reinstalling the drivers again. Still nothing. It's like the nic stopped getting power. My router didn't recognize it was plugged in and there were no power or activity light on the lan port itself. So i booted back into safe mode and lone behold... all is well again. Very strange...

So making a long story short, my nic works in safe mode but not in normal mode. What could possibly be causing this issue? I have a feeling it have something to do with me deleting all those kexts to fix the panic problem. Anyways, thanks in advance

***SOLVED***

For those that might be having the same problem. It seems that my os x iso came preinstalled with a forcedeth-d.kext file that was conflicting with my new nForceEthernetController.kext. The solution was easy just remove the forcedeth-d.kext file and use diskutil to run a repairpermissions / command and voila! everything is back to normal.

• 2 months later...