Updating to 10.5.2 breaks install. Do not update

djrbx

25 posts in this topic

Just putting it out there for the people who has not yet updated to the new 10.5.2.

The new 10.5.2 has broken peoples install running both non efi and efi machines. Do not update.

And for the people who has been using the update trick from http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=45283 all the way up to 10.5.1, it does not work for 10.5.2.

Well, it broke mine! ...which is why I run 2 HackToshs... saves me a lot of trouble in the longrun! First, 10.5.1 messed up my User priv., now this just freezes the boot-up. However, since it will install on some machines, I'm simply assuming it's an issue with some hardware (motherboards) and a patch of some sort will be out soon. A patch you can just applyy to Apple's download would be great, as this is one motha' up an update.

If it wasn't for the fact that Leopard is true 64bit and soars on my machine, I'd have rather stuck with Tiger... cleaner OS, with UNO. Leopard = looks like Vista took a visual dump all over Tiger. Plus, my hardware choices for things like network cards was bigger. Damn, you Apple :)

You can fix the HPET but booting with an installation CD and then removing the following:

/Volumes/{drive name}/System/Libraries/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPower*.kext

Though that didn't really bring the Hackintosh back. Just it just sits at the Apple logo.

I have the same problem. I believe that the trick is to use the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext from a working OSx86 installation. The computer won't boot without it, and will do kernel panics with one from a real Mac... My problem right now is that I have no working installation of OSx86 from which to boot EXCEPT the Install DVD, which does have a working Intel CPU Management extension somewhere but I have absolutely no friggin' idea how to install it from the terminal or Windows... So until I figure that out, I think I'm stuck.

Well, I'm using PC_EFI from Kalyway disk.

I ran the update, it crashed about 30% in with a kernel panic, and I get the nice happy kernel panic message at boot, so I booted with -v and got this.

I have exact the same kernel panic (AppleACPI...).

Pentium D 825, EFI MBR

I found a new (not in 10.5.1) .kext:

ApplePlatformEnabler.kext !

Ok, about recovering from the stupidity of just doing the automatic update with no research beforehand:

The update (as we know) caused a kernel panic. On reboot I got the "No HPET found" error.

-> Replaced AppleIntelCPUPowerManagment.kext with previous version.

Next, the boot process simply stopped pretty soon with no apparent error.

-> Realised that the update had deleted my dmdos.kext. Replaced it and edited the update's startup script as suggested in netkas' howto.

Next, the boot process gets quite a bit further (loads graphics and ethernet drivers, etc.), but then just plain stops again. One of the last interesting messages is "dmdos is starting" or similar. Also, the update's startup script has gone - it's probably run fine and been removed.

Is anyone with me so far? Have you managed to recover completely? The only thing that makes me think it might NOT be possible, is that only a small part of the update initially runs before the kernel panic, so things might be in a very incosistent state...

Hah, I did manage to recover from blindly installing the automated update. In case it may help someone:

The problem is that the update bails out somewhere in the middle and you're left with an inconsistent state (e.g. some new kexts but still the old kernel, etc.).

Boot your Leopard install DVD (or in my case: the install partition). Start Terminal.app and find your damaged partition (e.g. /Volumes/Lepard). Start the following command (it's a single line - make use of tab-completion...):

/Volumes/Leopard/usr/sbin/installer -pkg "/Volumes/Leopard/Library/Updates/Mac OS X Update/Packages/MacOSXUpd10.5.2.pkg" -target /Volumes/Leopard

After it's finished (hopefully you get a success message), delete /Volumes/Leopard/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagment.kext, reboot, and enjoy.

Hey, I have the same problem, and I want to know if anyone has had success following yorkey's fix. I'm hesitant to fry my new re-install again.

I used this to repair a machine that could not use the vanilla kernel and was crashing on bootup, it might help.

Use the kalyway kernel zip, and unzip it. I opened up a terminal, went to the directory it was in and typed

#tar zcvf kalyway.tar.gz kalyway_10.5.2_kernels.mpkg

I then put kalyway.tar.gz on a usb drive

Next, boot from CD. Open up the terminal once the installer loads Find the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext in the /Volumes/Leopard/System/Library/Extensions folder and remove it. Copy the kalyway.tar.gz file to /Volumes/Leopard. Then use the commands

#chroot /Volumes/Leopard

#tar zxvf kalyway.tar.gz

#installer -pkg kalyway_10.5.2_kernels.mpkg -target /

I then hit the reset button. This installed a working non-vanilla kernel onto the machine. If you can use the vanilla kernel it is probably simpler, but that worked.

for /Volumes/Leopard, you can replace 'Leopard' with the name of the hard drive you are using.

This solution, I think, is similar to yorkey's fix

Successfully upgraded to 10.5.2 with Kalaway Combo Updater and Kernel updater from BrazilMac 10.5.1 EFI & Vanilla.

Just thought I would post my results for anyone who was concerned about upgrading. It went off without a hitch for me, everything still works. About to try Graphics Update.

Hi Yorkey

Troy here mate. Thanks for the instructions and info on how to successfully install the 10.5.3 update. The instructions worked fine for me with one difference.

I actually didnt install the update first and then wait for the kernel panic after reboot - i just did what you said and installed the update for the first time using that method - not installing it for the second time after the kernel panic / reboot.

Also one thing I have noticed with the 10.5.2 update for those of us using ps/2 keyboards and mice (or for those of us on notebooks) 10.5.2 seems to no longer utilise ps/2 mice or keyboards. (I guess this makes sense since neither does the actual mac). So if you find that your installation works but you can't use your ps/2 keyboard and mouse anymore, just use a usb mouse and keyboard instead and everything is fine.

Many thanks mate and cheers from Australia

Troy

PS I forgot to mention that I am running iATKOS v1.0i with stock kernel and EFI boot and it is working fine with the update except for the ps/2 issue mentioned above

Has anyone else had their ATA drives disappear when updating to 10.5.2? I have performed a retail install using this thread:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=86167

I installed 10.5.2 and graphics update successfully but now the system doesn't find my PATA/IDE/ATA DVD-R drive or my memory. The ATA tab generates an error - "The system does not contain any ATA devices. If you have any ATA devices installed, please check that they are connected and powered on."

The memory tab generates this error - "There was an error while gathering this information."

Hardware:

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 F8

Q6600 Oc'ed to 3GHz

G-Skill 2x2GB OC'ed to 1GHz

H-L GDR-8161B IDE DVD-ROM

LITE-ON LH-20A1S DVD-RW

Any help would be appreciated - seems like I am just missing a couple kexts but I don't know enough yet to know which ones are used for ATA and RAM...

I installed a separate, but similar os to my main one on a usb hdd. Then I updated it in similar steps to my main system, and applied first the kaly patch for 10.5.2, and then the 9.2 update. It seems to run ok so far. One thing that I noticed is that youtube videos (flash) don't have the freeze problem when the system is first installed unlike 10.5.1 which took a qt update to fix. So far so good with my simulation system, and when I'm happy with it, I'll update my main os. I did all the Apple updates at the end, and the first time it panic'd. so then I started over with the usb install, but did NOT update with the graphics update. I did not get the panic, so that's good to know.

I just tried timing startup and shutdown on both 10.5.1 and 10.5.2. I timed about 20 seconds from the start of the grey apple screen to desktop and around 50 seconds to shutdown using the restart command for 10.5.1 (with some software installed). My 10.5.2 is almost a new install and took the same time to startup but only around 25 seconds to shutdown. That may go up to the 50 seconds if it had the same amount of apps installed. Not much difference overall.

I also tested time machine, which worked normally, letting me recover deleted files.

I tried sharing my usb printer, and file sharing. It won't share the printer to my ibook G4 10.5.2, where it appeared temporarily and suddenly dropped out of sight. File sharing also shows up, but doesn't connect. My old G3 powerbook 10.3.9 shares files successfully with the ibook, but does not share the usb printer, which worked when the ibook was on Tiger. Also the hack won't connect to the shared powerbook while the ibook does connect to the shared powerbook. The file sharing on the ibook doesn't seem to work very well, as I can't see it either on the powerbook, or the hack.

Hah, I did manage to recover from blindly installing the automated update. In case it may help someone:

The problem is that the update bails out somewhere in the middle and you're left with an inconsistent state (e.g. some new kexts but still the old kernel, etc.).

Boot your Leopard install DVD (or in my case: the install partition). Start Terminal.app and find your damaged partition (e.g. /Volumes/Lepard). Start the following command (it's a single line - make use of tab-completion...):

/Volumes/Leopard/usr/sbin/installer -pkg "/Volumes/Leopard/Library/Updates/Mac OS X Update/Packages/MacOSXUpd10.5.2.pkg" -target /Volumes/Leopard

After it's finished (hopefully you get a success message), delete /Volumes/Leopard/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagment.kext, reboot, and enjoy.

Hi there,

Thanks for the steps... I accidently installed 10.5.2 and now got stuck at at "dsmos starting..."

Can I try to install using your method from Tiger? Coz I have Tiger and Leopard in different partitions...

Need help...