• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

pedro_sandchez

pedro_sandchez

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
I'm going to be getting a new appartment in the fall (moving out of the fraternity house...I can't wait) and I plan on building a kickass new entertainment system when I move, for watching moves and the like.
I would like to have it all computer based.
Is it possible, using a mac (which I plan on purchasing soon) to have a TV tuner and be able watch TV and even have the functionality of DVR on it?
what about remote control functionality?
and HDTV?

thanks guy
pedro

Wayland

Wayland

Broadcast Engineer

• Gurus
  • 421 posts

I'm going to be getting a new appartment in the fall (moving out of the fraternity house...I can't wait) and I plan on building a kickass new entertainment system when I move, for watching moves and the like.
I would like to have it all computer based.
Is it possible, using a mac (which I plan on purchasing soon) to have a TV tuner and be able watch TV and even have the functionality of DVR on it?
what about remote control functionality?
and HDTV?

thanks guy
pedro

I heard a rumor that Apple is developing a stand alone system that will do all those sorts of things. Good bye Windows Media Center! :happymac:

EDIT: Here is a little link to check out:
http://apple.slashdo...438206&from=rss

EDit2: Can't wait that long? Check out this:
http://www.miglia.co...ontv/index.html

Khama

Khama

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
You will have to piece something together I believe.

You can use a New Mac and Front Row ( Comes with a remote ) for iTunes / DVD / Picture playback

For TV check out Elgato's Eye TV

www.elgato.com

With Eye TV2 and a large HD you can set up for TIVO like recording of your shows for playback later, or watch live on your Mac.

I can give more specifics on the setup when I know what hardware you plan on using.

pedro_sandchez

pedro_sandchez

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
If I got this
http://store.apple.c.....plm=TC295LL/A

and the eyetv software
would I need anything else?
also, does the eyetv software work with the intel based macs or not?

another question
As far as displays are concerned, could I use a standard pc projector like this
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16824006081

and watch the hi def channels or do I need a special project for it to work properly?

Eggman

Eggman

I've got the master plan!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
EDIT

Sorry, didn't read the entire topic first. But yeah, you could get HD out of that EyeTV thing. I don't know if it would work; to the best of my knowledge PPC-based drivers don't work at all with Intel Macs.

pedro_sandchez

pedro_sandchez

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
another question then
will the most powerful mac mini available be enough to do all I want to do or will the video quality amungst other things suffer do to not having a powerful enough system?

pedro_sandchez

pedro_sandchez

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
bump to get my last question answered...

Eggman

Eggman

I've got the master plan!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
First, don't bump. Bumps bother me. ;)

Yeah, you should be fine with a Mac Mini. Video Capture doesn't really use that much processor power; the hard drive is probably doing more than your processor. Even if it uses a lot of power, the quality is determined by the TV Tuner card, not the processor (you'll get the same picture if you replaced a Pentium Extreme with a Pentium 2, essentially...).

pedro_sandchez

pedro_sandchez

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
thanks for the response

sorry for the bump, but appartently it worked... ;)

hmm...i've got lots of ideas running around in my head..
this whole apple switching to intel thing is causing me some great confusion because I cant decide what I want to buy because I dont want it to be out of date in a month...but at the same time, I want to wait for all the kinks to be worked out and the software I want to be ported before buying a new intel mac.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy