[Guide] Dell Optiplex GX280 installation of iATKOS v1.0 R2

sarfa777

15 posts in this topic

I am currently dual-booting XP Pro and OSx86 10.5.1 without having to use the DVD in the drive to boot. Here is my process. The version of OSx86 that I use is the iATKOS v1.0i R2 of 10.5.1.

First is start out with a clean hdd. I installed Windows XP Pro. Once I had XP setup and running the way I wanted, I use the Acronis Disk Director application to make the XP partition smaller. In my case I am working with a 40gb hdd so my current XP partition is now 20gb. I also creat a new partition using the left over free space and format it to FAT32 primary.

Once this is done, I put in the iATKOS v1.0i R2 version of OSx86 10.5.1 DVD in the drive and boot from it. Darwin will load up. Imediatly hit F8 and at the prompt type the following

boot: -v cpus=1

For some reason if you do not use these switched, the mouse will not work during OSX install. Now click the Next button on the bottom right. The new screen will come up as well as the Mac OS X Installer menu at the top. Go to the Utilities menu and click Disk Utility.

Now the Disk Utility app opens. In the left window pane, click on the partition you just formated to FAT32. In the right window pane, click on Erase at the top. Change the Volume Format: to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and change the name of your partiton to whatever you want. In my case I named it OSx86. Click Erase... button at the bottom right. It will ask if you are sure, click Erase. This will only take a few seconds to do. Now you can close the Disk Utility app.

Now you are back at the Welcome window. Click the continue button. Then click Agree. Select a Destination. This will show you the partition you just erased. Click continue. Now you are at the Install Summary screen. Click the Customize button at the bottom left. Click the arrow next to Bootloader and check the box that is next to Darwin X86 Bootloader. Click Done. Then click install.

After OSx86 install, take the DVD out of the drive and see if the Darwin bootloader will come up. If it does you have two choices here. You can either do nothing and it should boot into OSX or you can hit enter and it will list the partitons you can boot to.

On the first boot you have to do some setting up. Once this is complete. You will need the file I have attached. Burn it to a cd or stick it on a usb disk for access. Get to the zip file and extract the .kext to your desktop. Now open your installed partition (the top hdd icon at the right). Then double click on System, then double click on Library, and finally double click on the folder called Extensions. Drag and drop the AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext from your desktop top to the Extensions folder. When you do this it will ask you to authenticate the file. Click Authenticate and then put in your password. You can now cloce your Extensions folder.

You will get an error at this point. System Extension cannot be used. Don't worry about this it will be taken care in a minute. Just click OK. From the Finder menu on Go and then on Utilities. Scroll down and double click on Terminal. In the terminal window that opens type the following

sudo -s

it will now ask you for your password, enter it here and how you are at the bash-3.2# prompt. Type in the following...

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/

cd /System/Library/Extensions

chmod -R 755 AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext

Now would be a good time to repair your disk permissions. To do that click on Go > Utilities > Disk Utility, and in that screen select your hard drive/partition with OS X installed.

At this point, click the Apple menu and reboot the computer. Once you are back into to OSX, you will see that your ethernet card works... sorta. Restart your computer one more time and it will work. The only real problem now is you have no mac address for the nic. And the commands to manually define the mac address will lock up OSX. I manage to run without needing a mac address for my purposes.

One other issue I have found, do not let your computer go to sleep. Otherwise you will have to hard shut down restart the system. To avoid this. Go to your System preferences and click on Energy Saver. Move both sliders to Never and uncheck the box next to "Put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible. Now another flaw is you have to set this, then reboot the system, set it again and reboot the system one more time for the settings to stick.

By now you should be up and running and everything show work just fine. Now you can start installing apps and customizing you hackintosh or Mell, which ever you call it :wacko: .

If anyone can tell me a fix for the sleep issue I would love to know what it is.

AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I followed the instructions correctly. But when the installation completes 5%. there's an error somewhat like "the folder intel sse2, sse3 packages could not be loaded". What to do?

My configuration is:

Intel Pentium D 102GGC2

ATi Radeon Xpress 200 chipset

1.5 GB RAM

Windows Vista Ultimate

I used iATKOS 1.0 first. But when the loading darwin comes it used to reboot continuously. So i patched it to r2 then the installation screen came. But the installation wasn't successful. Please tell me what to do?

• 2 weeks later...

Mac OS X : How to Set the MAc Address During Startup

Follow these steps to create a script that sets the MAC Address each time the computer restarts:

1. Open Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/).

2. Type: cd /Library

3. Press Return.

4. Type: mkdir StartupItems

5. Press Return. (If you encounter an error, continue to step 6.)

6. Type: cd StartupItems

7. Press Return.

8. Type: mkdir MACADD

9. Press Return.

10. Type: cd MACADD

11. Press Return.

12. Type: pico MACADD

13. Press Return.

14. In the pico editor, paste in the following text.

Begin copying below this line.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#!/bin/sh

. /etc/rc.common

##

# Configure a network interface MAC Address setting

##

#

# This script will set the MAC Address setting for the specified interface(s)

#

# The name of the interface (ex. en0) must be edited to match the interface

# to which the MACADD setting should be applied

#

##

StartService ()

{

ConsoleMessage "Configuring MACADD"

### uncomment lines and change the value following 'MACADD' as appropriate mac address

if [ "${MACADD:=-NO-}" = "-YES-" ]; then

# /sbin/ifconfig en0 lladdr xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

# /sbin/ifconfig en1 lladdr xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

fi

}

StopService ()

{

return 0

}

RestartService ()

{

return 0

}

RunService "$1"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

End copying above this line.

15. Uncomment the /sbin/ifconfig line(s) to set the MACADD for a particular interface.

Note: Removing the number sign (#) from the beginning of a line uncomments it. Typically, en0 is the interface name for the Built-in Ethernet port and en1 is interface name for the AirPort Card. This is not always the case, though. To confirm that a network port is associated with a particular interface name, open the Network Utility (/Applications/Utilities/), and click the Info tab.

16. When you have finished customizing the file, save it (press Control-O), press Return, and exit pico (press Control-X).

17. Type: chmod 755 MACADD

18. Press Return.

19. Type: pico StartupParameters.plist

20. Press Return.

21. In the pico editor paste in the following text.

Begin copying below this line.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Description</key>

<string>Can set MACADD</string>

<key>OrderPreference</key>

<string>None</string>

<key>Provides</key>

<array>

<string>MACADD</string>

</array>

<key>Requires</key>

<array>

<string>Network Configuration</string>

</array>

</dict>

</plist>

End copying above this line.

22. When you have finished customizing the file, save it (Control-O), press Return, and exit pico (Control-X).

23. Type: chmod 755 StartupParameters.plist

24. Press Return.

25. Type: sudo pico /etc/hostconfig

26. When prompted, enter your password.

27. Press Return.

28. In the pico editor, add this line at the bottom:

MACADD=-YES-

29. Save it (Control-O), press Return, and exit pico (Control-X).

When you restart the computer, MACADD is set for the interface that you specified.

Notes

1. The MACADD will be reset after changing a Location, waking the computer from sleep, or changing the state of the network interface. To use the script again without having to restart, enter the following command:

sudo SystemStarter start MACADD

2. If you experience any issues or wish to not set MACADD during startup, you can turn off the new script by changing the MACADD line in /etc/hostconfig to:

MACADD=-NO-

Awsome. I managed to get iatkos installed onto a 280 right before this thread was posted. I didnt have to use the -v cpus=1 to install though all I did to get it working was just select the standard x86 darwin bootloader and the sse2/3 kernel. The networking now works and sound works as well I am happy.

• 4 months later...

Hi,

After numerous fits and starts of trying and giving up i got as far as i have ever gotten, I installed the bootloader and am given the option to start either the OS X partition or the windows partition, but as soon as i choose the OS X one i get an instant reboot. anyone else know what i'm missing. this is an optiplex 280 clamshell, installing on a 30 gb partition on a PATA drive.

• 2 weeks later...
I am currently dual-booting XP Pro and OSx86 10.5.1 without having to use the DVD in the drive to boot. Here is my process. The version of OSx86 that I use is the iATKOS v1.0i R2 of 10.5.1.

First is start out with a clean hdd. I installed Windows XP Pro. Once I had XP setup and running the way I wanted, I use the Acronis Disk Director application to make the XP partition smaller. In my case I am working with a 40gb hdd so my current XP partition is now 20gb. I also creat a new partition using the left over free space and format it to FAT32 primary.

Once this is done, I put in the iATKOS v1.0i R2 version of OSx86 10.5.1 DVD in the drive and boot from it. Darwin will load up. Imediatly hit F8 and at the prompt type the following

boot: -v cpus=1

For some reason if you do not use these switched, the mouse will not work during OSX install. Now click the Next button on the bottom right. The new screen will come up as well as the Mac OS X Installer menu at the top. Go to the Utilities menu and click Disk Utility.

Now the Disk Utility app opens. In the left window pane, click on the partition you just formated to FAT32. In the right window pane, click on Erase at the top. Change the Volume Format: to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and change the name of your partiton to whatever you want. In my case I named it OSx86. Click Erase... button at the bottom right. It will ask if you are sure, click Erase. This will only take a few seconds to do. Now you can close the Disk Utility app.

Now you are back at the Welcome window. Click the continue button. Then click Agree. Select a Destination. This will show you the partition you just erased. Click continue. Now you are at the Install Summary screen. Click the Customize button at the bottom left. Click the arrow next to Bootloader and check the box that is next to Darwin X86 Bootloader. Click Done. Then click install.

After OSx86 install, take the DVD out of the drive and see if the Darwin bootloader will come up. If it does you have two choices here. You can either do nothing and it should boot into OSX or you can hit enter and it will list the partitons you can boot to.

On the first boot you have to do some setting up. Once this is complete. You will need the file I have attached. Burn it to a cd or stick it on a usb disk for access. Get to the zip file and extract the .kext to your desktop. Now open your installed partition (the top hdd icon at the right). Then double click on System, then double click on Library, and finally double click on the folder called Extensions. Drag and drop the AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext from your desktop top to the Extensions folder. When you do this it will ask you to authenticate the file. Click Authenticate and then put in your password. You can now cloce your Extensions folder.

You will get an error at this point. System Extension cannot be used. Don't worry about this it will be taken care in a minute. Just click OK. From the Finder menu on Go and then on Utilities. Scroll down and double click on Terminal. In the terminal window that opens type the following

sudo -s

it will now ask you for your password, enter it here and how you are at the bash-3.2# prompt. Type in the following...

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/

cd /System/Library/Extensions

chmod -R 755 AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext

Now would be a good time to repair your disk permissions. To do that click on Go > Utilities > Disk Utility, and in that screen select your hard drive/partition with OS X installed.

At this point, click the Apple menu and reboot the computer. Once you are back into to OSX, you will see that your ethernet card works... sorta. Restart your computer one more time and it will work. The only real problem now is you have no mac address for the nic. And the commands to manually define the mac address will lock up OSX. I manage to run without needing a mac address for my purposes.

One other issue I have found, do not let your computer go to sleep. Otherwise you will have to hard shut down restart the system. To avoid this. Go to your System preferences and click on Energy Saver. Move both sliders to Never and uncheck the box next to "Put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible. Now another flaw is you have to set this, then reboot the system, set it again and reboot the system one more time for the settings to stick.

By now you should be up and running and everything show work just fine. Now you can start installing apps and customizing you hackintosh or Mell, which ever you call it :mellow: .

If anyone can tell me a fix for the sleep issue I would love to know what it is.

I have an Dell Optiplex GX 280 and am trying to install iATKOS v1.0i v2 and it doesn't complete the installation, it just stalls (freezes) at 13~14 minutes. Could I be doing something wrong or selected the wrong drivers or something in the customized part.

The hard drive is completely wiped out and there is no OS on the system right now. So I decided to try install Leopard. Any help on this.

• 2 weeks later...

Installed my GX280 using JaS, but still the same problem.

I installed the Ethernet patch in this post, fine.

I'm now trying to set the MAC address. Ofc manually doing so freezes the OS. I've also tried the start-up patch included in this post, but this also crashes the OS, about a minute after boot.

Is there any other solutions to assigning a MAC address?

[Edit 1]

I found my mac address via Ubuntu Live CD thanks to a more clear write-up of this guide.

I unplugged the Ethernet (important! This is what causes the freezing), then typed in terminal;

ifconfig en0 ether [mac address]

All is now well! :)

[/Edit 1]

[Edit 2 & 3]

Okay so I made a booboo by installing an update (airport), and couldn't boot. So i've reinstalled, and now I cannot for the life of me get the Ethernet working again. Pain in the backside.

The ifconfig command is crashing my pc, no matter if I unplug the ethernet or not :s

... This was fixed by re-installing the ktext file (make sure you actually extract it in OS X).

[/Edit 2 & 3]

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi guys!

I have a very interesting problem.

I made 2 partitions, one for Windows XP Professional and one for iAtkos. I installed XP first, it works fine. After that, I successfully installed iAtkos (it said), however after rebooting .it boots Windows!!!

Any suggestions, what could be the problem?

In the installing process I checked the BootLoader box, so don't know what is the problem.

I have an original Dell Optiplex GX280, and installed iAtkos 10.5.7.

• 10 months later...

I have a similar issue iAtkos.v7 installed on gx280 with no hiccups didn't even needed the -v cpus=1 but when it goes for the first reboot it kinda stays there for a sec and brings back the BIOs and goes thru this cycle

I do get to the Darwin bootloader and it shows the OSx and the Xp(which works if I need to boot here)

Tried the Chameleon 2, the chain0, the BootCD generic.iso but they all come to the same it seems like when it tries to boot it doesn't find something and jumps back to the DELL BIOS.

Any hints???????

I had a the Kalyway working fine even wrote a couple of Apps for iPhone and Mac but my MB fried and I'm not using that crappy MB(Intel Atom) so that is why I'm back. Cheers

Thanks

OK since a lot of people seemed to have gone thru this successfully I'm keeping at it

I thought it wouldn't boot because I had 2 drives so I had a spare drive and went thru the process

with a single SATA drive and same problem it installs but it does not boot.

tried all of the bootloaders and there is where the problem seems to be. After taking a closer look at the Chameleon 2 install I see first it gets 4 warnings

_s5D unknown reserved name

Then at the end it gets

UNEXPECTED ERROR(-35) on DSDT.aml boot and .Chameleon

Obviously something is not going here. Anybody has some pointers??? I cannot be the only one with this issue. I'm looking at patchers and stuff but will take any hint.

Cheers