• Please log in to reply
184 replies to this topic

staticwow

staticwow

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

The people who are going to build a Hackintosh for their own purposes are very much not disposed to buy an off-the-shelf Mac. Apple is not losing a sale it would have already gotten.

Been using Macs for awhile now. My Mac died and I really wanted to buy another mac. But I don't have any money. If I had the cash, I'd be typing away on a new Macbook. I don't so I went with a Dell instead of a Mac.

I can deal with not having a cool looking computer. But I do not want to go back to windows. Hence my newfound interest in OSx86.

It will be fun to tinker with OSx86, and it will be cool to show my friends my new Dell with its newly installed "Mojave" OS. That ;) is baller, son!

niteman1969

niteman1969

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Hmm, great question about macs vs hacks...

Having myself come from an IT background and being a bit
of a tech freak I relish something new to get my teeth into.

I have done some pretty idiotic stuff with computers in the past
just to make them do something that they were not meant to,
such as getting dos 6.22 defrag to work on a windows 98 machine.

This was because i felt the dos defrag was more efficient, and it
very efficiently killed my start menu items, but the stuff that was
still there worked very fast........ :blink:

I first stumbled on the OSx86 project as it was in 10.4.5 days
and found myself a new challenge to get it working on my PC.

Spent much time reading the forums and finally worked out that
I would need an upgrade to get it working properly so bought the
components needed and happily got lots of help on the irc channel
from the great JaS man to get it working.

Not once did he laugh at my dumb questions or stupid mistakes
and had nothing but time and patience, and finally i had a working
OSx86 10.4.5 install and was very happy.

Then came updates to 10.4.6 , 10.4.7 , 10.4.8 etc and along with
minor kext editing and tweaks etc I had a machine that worked flawlessly.

The problem with that is I became bored with no fixes etc needed to
maintain the system, and upgraded to another machine which at first
had problems installing OSx86 and because of time constraints I dropped
mac os until recently, when a rogue virus killed a lot of my media library.

Now i am running mac os almost exclusively apart from a few key
programs that i run in my xp partition.

I think the whole mac vs hack thing doesn't do justice to the amount
us hackintosh users actually learn about the operating system through
owning a hackintosh. It takes much time and patience and a stubborn
streak to keep it going through all the updates etc.

Also I'm sure that the whole OSx86 thing has brought a lot more people
to apple hardware, that have had only a partially working hack and decided
to stop their problems by going for the real thing.

Myself now I have decided to minimise my huge electrical draw and actually
downgraded to a samsung nc10 laptop from a huge dual core overclocked
desktop and have never been happier, especially after swapping the internal
wireless card with one that works.

I have also bought the samsung usb dvd writer and am soon replacing
the inbuilt 160gb hdd with a 500gb and have a personal internet and media
machine which far outperforms an ipod touch or archos.

Also with modifications in the future (adding internal usb broadband dongle)
It will be an ideal machine for what i need it for.

If Apple made a 10.2 inch netbook with the samsungs battery life then I would
be very , very tempted.

I'm only guessing but i think the atom may be about as fast as a 1.6 core solo
mac mini ?????

Regards

Niteman1969

PS .... will probably also be getting an intel atom dual core desktop board and
getting a friendly engineer to swap the processor into the samsung (if even possible).

He has proper reflow and bga an other soldering stations and will be interesting to try
but not sure I want him near my beloved Sambook / MacSung .... lol

Results 44.25
System Info
Xbench Version 1.3
System Version 10.5.5 (9F33)
Physical RAM 2048 MB
Model MacBookAir1,1
Drive Type Hitachi HTS543216L9A300 Hitachi HTS543216L9A300
CPU Test 28.81
GCD Loop 61.48 3.24 Mops/sec
Floating Point Basic 18.60 441.99 Mflop/sec
vecLib FFT 24.54 809.72 Mflop/sec
Floating Point Library 35.64 6.21 Mops/sec
Thread Test 50.60
Computation 42.71 865.17 Kops/sec, 4 threads
Lock Contention 62.07 2.67 Mlocks/sec, 4 threads
Memory Test 76.24
System 66.49
Allocate 100.07 367.48 Kalloc/sec
Fill 84.78 4121.99 MB/sec
Copy 42.86 885.28 MB/sec
Stream 89.33
Copy 88.28 1823.46 MB/sec
Scale 86.41 1785.12 MB/sec
Add 101.35 2159.04 MB/sec
Triad 83.26 1781.07 MB/sec
Quartz Graphics Test 62.57
Line 58.51 3.90 Klines/sec [50% alpha]
Rectangle 55.14 16.46 Krects/sec [50% alpha]
Circle 48.94 3.99 Kcircles/sec [50% alpha]
Bezier 59.06 1.49 Kbeziers/sec [50% alpha]
Text 136.67 8.55 Kchars/sec
OpenGL Graphics Test 58.73
Spinning Squares 58.73 74.50 frames/sec
User Interface Test 29.29
Elements 29.29 134.43 refresh/sec
Disk Test 42.64
Sequential 87.12
Uncached Write 101.75 62.48 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Write 100.36 56.78 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Uncached Read 55.93 16.37 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Read 121.31 60.97 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Random 28.23
Uncached Write 9.59 1.02 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Write 75.87 24.29 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Uncached Read 65.64 0.47 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Read 110.59 20.52 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Guest: cavallo_*

Guest: cavallo_*
  • Guests

Well said: I find that almost always the Mac user that is always huffing away about the quality of Apple components wouldn't know a quality component if it ran over him. Mac users are, as a group, the most hardware ignorant group on the planet. That's usually why they bought a Mac in the first place! So they didn't have to learn anything. So they think the hardware is just "little over what a PC cost". Then I break down their precious iMac and show them how to replace it for less than 50% of the price. That shuts them up in a hurry. The only people that defend Mac prices are people that don't know hardware prices. Whenever I'm selling off computer parts and Mac people phone me, inevitably they don't have a clue as to what they are doing, and you have to dumb down everything for them. What a pain. On a good note though, they tend to me more generous than the typical PC buyer. :blink:

Real efi, real dsdt, apic (acpi platform) and installation process, those are some of the great differences that let be better, with worst and more expensive Apple hardware, in any case a Mac computer.
My friend if a cpu on pin 935 as always the correct power supply will in any case work better than one that now has 1 mv less an in one second 2 more.
You can pray you can mount and overclock a cpu 2 ghz faster on a pc than a mac one, the mac one will work in any case better cause the power distribution.

lenesu

lenesu

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
Why don't you take into account the time spent on building the hack and making it fully compatible and stable? I've spent about 50 hours on making my hack and it would have cost me a thousand dollars if my salary was about 20$ per hour.

Stylez

Stylez

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
i love my macbook, and i loved my powerbook before and my g4 powermac also. and i also love my linux fileserver and i even love windows sometimes :D a windows user will possibly switch to osx after testing, i guess a hardcore linux user wont.
original apple hardware is too expensive (at least here in europe). if you take a look at the prices of an apple macbook in the US apple store and compare it with DE apple store you'll see what i mean. an apple would be much more affordable if apple would bring their prices on the same level everywhere. (apple macbook 1199euro in DE, 1299 usd in US, thats a difference of 220euro..)
but i am an apple user for some years now and i dont want to miss the powerful OS again..
i think its great to give non-apple users the opportionity to try OSX on their pcs. some try linux to test if they can handle it, so why shouldnt they be able to try osx before they spend lots of money for apple hardware and an OS that might not fit their interests?
i owned a few 'windows' machines as well (i remember my dell latitude d505, 1,7ghz centrino, 1gb ram running kalyway, booting time was 2x faster than my original macbook and stability was absolutely the same..) and tried to get osx86 working on them. of course its still a lot of reading and trying to get your hardware full enabled, but you learn a lot while trying.
i would not say osx is the best OS ever, it really depends what you are using your machine for. but it definitly is easy to use and very very stable. for my usage i had to compile some linux tools that i missed on osx, so no os is perfect ;)
my girlfriend bought an sony vaio for about 1000euro and i really tried to get her to buy a macbook. but she's a windows user and dislikes the handling of osx. on the one hand she wants to tried it, but on the other she already knows that she would switch back to windows again. so do i.
i think osx86 project is a great opportunity for interested users to test osx and to show what is possible with an intel/amd comp running osx. some of my friends already asked me to install osx on their windows machines, but i denied. if they really want to give it a try, they should read and learn for themselves. i guess many 'standard' apple users even dont know the possibilitys of their macs, but everyone here that is trying and trying and trying does. because you have to look behind the system, learning the unix tree, using the terminal, settings attributes or whatever.
but if you are not interested in trying yourself to install osx86 and do lots of reading in the forums, then you better get a real mac or keep using windows. sometimes its just frustrating when you tried something for hours and it didnt work.
a big thx to all of those that are spending much time in coding, compiling, creating patches or whatever to make all this possible!

Harvey Dent

Harvey Dent

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
Well for me i think a osx86 machine is great especially with the advent of voodoo kernel and boot321 innovations I have a msi wind that i use primarilly for office and world of goo its virus free stable and (yes i purchased retail) It cost 450 and another 20 for ram runs fast and well you cant beat it for the price (wind overpriced). I will probably never buy a mac because i'm to much of a tinkerer and love the frustration/reward of getting something to work when its not supposed to like fta recievers and the rest of pirate/ hacking communities. There is a marketplace for tinkerers like myself not looking at getting it for free but it's enjoyable to show my co workers osx on mah wind. bext goal is buildiing a core i7 monster with osx but i will wait on 10.6 snow leo for that. Not to mention i learned alot about efi and osx from osx86

Then there were none.

Then there were none.

"Insert witty pop culture reference here"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts
I used OS X x86 back on my custom build computer, but in my opinion its just too much hassle. I really loved using the OS mind, so I got enough money together and bought an iMac 17" Core duo and it was one of the best computers I had ever used, which I later sold to fund the purchase of a Macbook pro I am currently using. The Macbook pro is the best computer i have ever used. My personal opinion on hackintosh computers are that basically, its a good thing as it opens up more users to the apple experience, and shows people that mac computers are fantastic.

Konami®

Konami®

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 956 posts
Well I want to add my two cents, I consider myself a Mac user because I completely switched my preference to run in OS X. I don't own a Mac but after using my hackintosh, it blowed my mind and I think Apple computers are the best for graphic design, business or college use. I don't know really if Apple hate us (Hackintosh users) but one thing I know for sure is that we are Apple switchers and we really are going to be real future Apple customers and I am very glad and happy with OS X than ever before.

manta

manta

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
In my personal opinion, as someone who's used Macs and PCs quite extensively over the years, the Mac hardware has been going down in quality recently. I have an Intel Mac Mini which has deteriorated quite badly - audio dies randomly, DVD drive is long dead. The iMacs are terrible if you need to do any maintenance - for example if the hard drive dies out of warranty... have you ever tried to take apart an iMac? I've seen people do it and I can assure you it's not fun.

Likewise the latest laptops continue the trend of really weird hardware decisions. New untested chipset, dropping of firewire in all but one model.

Personally I think if Apple came out with a mid-range desktop machine, easy to open and upgrade, with just a Core2 Quad chip (most people don't need and don't want to pay for an 8-core xeon!!), then most people wouldn't consider hacks. I just don't think they are going to do this though, they are too devoted to the iMac market.

From my angle, a hack made perfect sense - I can spec my own easily and cheaply replaceable parts, I can put the computer under the desk where it belongs, I can upgrade the hard drives easily, I can run proper PCI audio cards instead of crappy USB/firewire ones. I don't have all manner of {censored} hanging off leads from the computer.

I have a machine that kills iMac performance and is way more functional and upgradeable, for a 2/3 of the price. When Apple offers such a machine, I'll buy it!

And by the way I have many Mac-owning friends who, like me, are more into *getting work done* than admiring their shiny new digital lifestyle accessory - they are all pretty jealous of my machine's performance.

You may think I'm hating on Apple - and in some ways you'd be right as I really dislike their recent approach. But I have to say they make a really great OS, which I happily purchased. I hate a lot more things about Windows :(

Maurits

Maurits

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
I think it's a good way of checking out the Mac OS, check out all the programs and check if you like it, I did, I'd liked the whole OS X look and feel and I was very comfortable with it, and that's why I bought my MBP 2 weeks ago, I'm very happy with it and I hope that pleasure will last long! :)
So, I think it's okay to use OSX86, not on a commercial base but for private use it's okay.
If you like the Mac OS than go save/work harder to buy a real one, that's a whole lot better and you can just click update all, that's a lovely feeling :D

gnalc

gnalc

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:motion design, motion picture
i'm a proud hackintosh user (Q9300, P35-DS3P, 4gb DDR800 RAM) but i do have a real machintosh (my old 17" powerbook). obviously, i am not a mac purist -- i just go for what's efficient and what's readily available to me based on resources and my technical know-how.

i love how the way mac's os behaves, because it doesnt really get in the way of your work. but i also love having to tinker and play with the hardware. having a hackintosh satisfies all of these things for me -- having a zen-like, easy to use operating system AND the joy of having to be able to open up your computer anytime and put/remove things :(

.ShadowFox

.ShadowFox

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
As a Proud mac user since age 7. (I am currently 16 ;) )
I have to say the following:
-Apple prices their computers in fair manners.
-Apple doesn't make a lot of mistakes like Microsoft does. And if they do, they let it go and don't try to fix every single thing that goes wrong. They learn to accept the past.
-OS X86 is alright. But for a gamer to use OS X86 for anything? Come on!

marshallnoise

marshallnoise

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
I am new to Hackintoshes but Apple has always been an elitist company in my opinion. They have been about exclusivity from the onset. This makes them look pompous in a way that is just offensive. On the other hand, Gates and company have been outstanding at business modeling and expansion. He isn't interested in exclusivity, rather he is interested in domination. That reeks of piety in another way, but much more "American" than Jobs has gone with Apple.

The only way Jobs could keep Mac exclusive is charge out the ass for the product and make damn sure no one could build it. Fortunately for us, even Apple can't deny economics anymore. So his profit margin went up because he can use the same chips as everyone else, but still charge incredulous sums of money for the same hardware.

Not any more Steve. There is no way I will buy a new Mac when I can build it better, faster, and to my specs.

Headrush69

Headrush69

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

I am new to Hackintoshes but Apple has always been an elitist company in my opinion. They have been about exclusivity from the onset. This makes them look pompous in a way that is just offensive.

So maximizing profit = pompous and offensive?

Comparing business models between MS and Apple is pointless as they aren't even selling the same products/services.
Additionally, simple comparisons ignore all other factors and assume everything works in a void.

The only way Jobs could keep Mac exclusive is charge out the ass for the product and make damn sure no one could build it. Fortunately for us, even Apple can't deny economics anymore. So his profit margin went up because he can use the same chips as everyone else, but still charge incredulous sums of money for the same hardware.

Not any more Steve. There is no way I will buy a new Mac when I can build it better, faster, and to my specs.

So you admit that the product itself is worthwhile, but hardware costs are ridiculous?
So is it safe to assume you at least bought a legal copy of OS X to compensate them for that work which isn't over priced?

Sure some people do but a lot more people don't.
No matter what excuses or reasoning we may come up to justify this, simple fact is many people are cheap and if they weren't using a pirated OS X, they'd be using a pirated Windows OS.

marshallnoise

marshallnoise

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

So maximizing profit = pompous and offensive?

Comparing business models between MS and Apple is pointless as they aren't even selling the same products/services.
Additionally, simple comparisons ignore all other factors and assume everything works in a void.

So you admit that the product itself is worthwhile, but hardware costs are ridiculous?
So is it safe to assume you at least bought a legal copy of OS X to compensate them for that work which isn't over priced?

Sure some people do but a lot more people don't.
No matter what excuses or reasoning we may come up to justify this, simple fact is many people are cheap and if they weren't using a pirated OS X, they'd be using a pirated Windows OS.

Elitist = Pompous. Not maximizing profit. But some companies charge a reasonable amount for their product; Apple doesn't. It relies on that name just like Mercedes does. That is all I am saying.

And no, I have not purchased a legit copy of OSX yet but I plan to. The product is worthwhile to someone who relies on that software to make a living. At least that is how I see it. Windows is worthwhile to 90% of the business world because without it, they wouldn't be able to function. Well, the same can be said for music/video people who rely on Mac Stuff.

For me, I just think it is cool to have a triple boot system.

gengstapo

gengstapo

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
i really like apple product, but really, it IS expensive. so, i have to opted into hacintoshes as i only could afford that. beside, running retailed os x is fun, u could easily get update patched release officially w/out breakin' the system itself. plus, some HacPro do have better spec compared to real MacPro.

Tony Conte

Tony Conte

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Interests:Aikido, Music, Drawing and Mac :)
As an old X86 user, I have to say it's a really good way to learn mac os x.
And what is cooler? After you experience you buy a macbook and live happily ever after! B)

Master Chief

Master Chief

Just Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
I like Apple, but having to cash out a hefty 849 euro for a 24" LED monitor, which I cannot even connect/use on all my hardware is in my view ridiculous.

TIP: Some of the prices in the UK store are a lot cheaper, so I am getting my hardware from the UK these days (tickets and a nice day for free).

macm31

macm31

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Mac users are arrogants, they think that you are the kind of computer you use, and i think, that is {censored}. So i dont give a F#@% Steve Jobs or Bill Gates, they don't pay my bills and i simply do with my software or hardware whatever i want, so F%#$ the EULA and all regulations, that just protecs the economical interest of MS and Apple and dont give a F$#%@ about education and the freedom of software utilization. I dont want to mean that we have rights to do piracy i think that this is a personal decition we all have to take, is like the abortion isue, I think is not right, but i don't give a f$%#@ if a woman decide to do it, is not my problem, so let be tolerant. And that the problem with your friend, he just licks Steve Job's balls like all Apple fans ( the same for some MS fanatics).

.ShadowFox

.ShadowFox

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Mac users are arrogants, they think that you are the kind of computer you use, and i think, that is {censored}. So i dont give a F#@% Steve Jobs or Bill Gates, they don't pay my bills and i simply do with my software or hardware whatever i want, so F%#$ the EULA and all regulations, that just protecs the economical interest of MS and Apple and dont give a F$#%@ about education and the freedom of software utilization. I dont want to mean that we have rights to do piracy i think that this is a personal decition we all have to take, is like the abortion isue, I think is not right, but i don't give a f$%#@ if a woman decide to do it, is not my problem, so let be tolerant. And that the problem with your friend, he just licks Steve Job's balls like all Apple fans ( the same for some MS fanatics).

Then why are you on here?
Dumbass.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy