Wine+X11 Update

136 posts in this topic

Can someone test of games like Solitaire and FreeCell work in Wine/Darwine? This could determine if the parents next computer is a Mac or not.

thanks,

Solitaire

FreeCell

Pinball

Minesweep

.. all work just fine.

Wordpad doesn't seem to

Nothing more complicated than those seems to work, but this is a great start :)

I have a feeling some of the libraries needed are either missing, or not working properly. Would it help at all to have a folder with the original Windows .dlls in them somewhere to redirect the calls to? I got this error message with Wordpad for example:

err:module:import_dll Library MFC42u.DLL (which is needed by L"H:\\Desktop\\NEW WINE\\Program Files\\Accessories\\Games\\Accessories\\wordpad.exe") not found

If OpenOffice is ported to Mac I would buy a copy to be able to run Office 2003 and Codega would be nice to play Windows Games.... The real holy grail though is being able to just boot XP or Vista and use it when I need to run these Applications.

I would like to feel as though buying a MacBook will actually expand my operating system library and not decrease it (with lack of virtual pc).

Here's a screenshot of my desktop running:

Pinball

Solitaire

Minesweep

I tried it under 10.4.3 the version 1111. I got an error

wine: failed to initialize: dlopen(/Library/Wine/lib/wine/ntdll.dll.so, 2): Symbol not found: _i386_set_ldt

Referenced from: /Library/Wine/lib//libwine.1.dylib

Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib

Are the succesful people using 10.4.4 ?

I tried it under 10.4.3 the version 1111. I got an error

wine: failed to initialize: dlopen(/Library/Wine/lib/wine/ntdll.dll.so, 2): Symbol not found: _i386_set_ldt

Referenced from: /Library/Wine/lib//libwine.1.dylib

Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib

Are the succesful people using 10.4.4 ?

Yep.. Core Duo iMac 20" running the standard 10.4.4

Yep.. Core Duo iMac 20" running the standard 10.4.4

I tried to compile the sources but had a problem

make[2]: Nothing to be done for `all'.

make[2]: Nothing to be done for `all'.

gcc -c -I. -I. -I../../include -I../../include -D__WINESRC__ -DBINDIR="\"/usr/local/bin\"" -DDLLDIR="\"/usr/local/lib/wine\"" -D_REENTRANT -fPIC -Wall -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing -gstabs+ -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wpointer-arith -g -O2 -o ldt.o ldt.c

ldt.c:120:27: error: i386/user_ldt.h: No such file or directory

make[2]: *** [ldt.o] Error 1

make[1]: *** [wine] Error 2

make: *** [libs] Error 2

So I took the compiled version. I am using a normal PC for testing. I plan a buy a real one without a monitor. My Mac is a Mini. Perhaps the next Intel Mini.

VirtualDub is a pretty good windows program that hasn't been made available on any other OS, could you try that ?

Actually, i believe VirtualDub can be compiled directly against libwine...

-D

.. whenever I try to run any .exe file, the WineHelper app starts, and the log window opens - all I get are a string of errors starting with:

wine: creating configuration directory '/Users/guestuser/.wine'...

cp: /lib/wine/start.exe.so: No such file or directory

.. and going on like that for a bit and then:

wine: wineprefixcreate failed while creating '/Users/guestuser/.wine'.

Warning: failed to create /Users/guestuser/.wine-PIlR3y/dosdevices/c:/ windows/notepad.exe

Warning: failed to create /Users/guestuser/.wine-PIlR3y/dosdevices/c:/ windows/regedit.exe

Any tips from anyone about what I'm doing wrong?

Try using the Winehelper I built, or in the one you have, tell it the wine is @ /Library/Wine/bin not /us/local/bin or wherever it thinks it is

-D

hi, i was hoping that one day everything would be completely perfect in regards to running os x on pc hardware but it doesnt seem that fantasy of mine will come to fruition.

wine seems like an incredible alternative and i guess i wouldnt mind paying for apples hardware if this program could run everything i needed.

besides open gl, do you know of other things that might limit support? i dont care much for games, just mostly about applications; specifically windows-only applications (or windows only k'able) like 3d studio max, cubase sx 3, or various windows only VSTs. do you know if the windows applications will truly take advantage of all the hardware and/or peripherals a mac might be equipped with?

i see that youre still testing and i dont know when this thing came out or how its progressed, but maybe you can make a wiki? that would be pretty convenient.

hi, i was hoping that one day everything would be completely perfect in regards to running os x on pc hardware but it doesnt seem that fantasy of mine will come to fruition.

wine seems like an incredible alternative and i guess i wouldnt mind paying for apples hardware if this program could run everything i needed.

besides open gl, do you know of other things that might limit support? i dont care much for games, just mostly about applications; specifically windows-only applications (or windows only k'able) like 3d studio max, cubase sx 3, or various windows only VSTs. do you know if the windows applications will truly take advantage of all the hardware and/or peripherals a mac might be equipped with?

i see that youre still testing and i dont know when this thing came out or how its progressed, but maybe you can make a wiki? that would be pretty convenient.

Wine, in and of itself, is quite capable, and in its Codega and CrossOffice commercial incarnations are quite nice indeed.

The problem isn't really Wine, per se.

The problem is WINE on OS X.

And it isn't *really* a problem, more so than there is a bit of apathy I think surrounding it. Perhaps now that Maillard's patches to the current Wine build are out there, the will be a fire lit under the butts of *Mac OS X* developers to get this thing working on *our* platform.

From what me and the boys here have seen, there are a could anomalies in the code that makes Wine "GPF" more than it does on other platforms.

The Darwine project is *not* focused on Wine on Intel; the focus there is to make Wine a "quasi-emulator"...which pretty much goes against what the Wine project is about.

You want Wine to work better? Write to developers, and ask them to donate some of their time to help making the software work better on MacOSX, just like the Linux and BSD people do. Pontificating about how great it might be ain't enough.

Sorry for the rant :(

The wine configure script doesn't "do" opengl on os x, like a great many other things.

Also, note that i've not included *anything* from the Darwine tree as a lot of their stuff is presently set up to *not* work on i386. So i'm going thru, a little bit at a time, and dealing with issues one at a time. Once I think I have a Wine built will all of the normal dependencies in place, I plane to see what I can do about OpenGL, then sound.

On OpenGL: the X11 install has OpenGL libs, but the config script doesn't recognize them, and I'd personally rather use the OpenGL.framework and the GLUT.framework

The OpenGL fix is easy. The configure script does find OpenGL, but also finds another lib it doesn't expect to because, lord forbid, one assumes Linux OpenGL weirdness in a configure script.

Anyway, if you remove the check (or just insert a '!' in the script), it'll compile with OpenGL. After that, you have to load the library which requires setting DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH as I've explained in the other WINE thread. I can run D3D and OpenGL apps fine.

Wine, in and of itself, is quite capable, and in its Codega and CrossOffice commercial incarnations are quite nice indeed.

And it isn't *really* a problem, more so than there is a bit of apathy I think surrounding it. Perhaps now that Maillard's patches to the current Wine build are out there, the will be a fire lit under the butts of *Mac OS X* developers to get this thing working on *our* platform.

From what me and the boys here have seen, there are a could anomalies in the code that makes Wine "GPF" more than it does on other platforms.

The Darwine project is *not* focused on Wine on Intel; the focus there is to make Wine a "quasi-emulator"...which pretty much goes against what the Wine project is about.

You want Wine to work better? Write to developers, and ask them to donate some of their time to help making the software work better on MacOSX, just like the Linux and BSD people do. Pontificating about how great it might be ain't enough.

Sorry for the rant :)

sorry, but i guess you misunderstood the intent of my post and fabricated a tone for it. allow me to rephrase it for those with marginal awareness and interpretational skills while beginning my re-post with the proclamation that ive never used darwine or wine and know nothing of either.

with that said... have you or anyone tested any production applications like 3d studio max, vegas, etc? have you or anyone been able to [k] apps only k'able on windows, like cubase sx 3? have you or anyone used peripherals successfully with windows applications such as a midi controller with reason or a wacom tablet with illustrator?

oh yea... ****ON OS X**** (just to make it clear to those who are blessed with the malevolent attitude)

The OpenGL fix is easy. The configure script does find OpenGL, but also finds another lib it doesn't expect to because, lord forbid, one assumes Linux OpenGL weirdness in a configure script.

Anyway, if you remove the check (or just insert a '!' in the script), it'll compile with OpenGL. After that, you have to load the library which requires setting DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH as I've explained in the other WINE thread. I can run D3D and OpenGL apps fine.

I'm on it.

BTW, Would you like a nice Core Duo iMac? :)

The effort can use your help. Not sure about the internet tho.

msg me.

-D

Sorry for the rant :)

Uuuh, speaking as someone who rewrote quartzdrv from scratch a couple times, :)

Don't write me and don't ask me to donate my time. If I had the time, and the money, and the hardware, and internet access, and the...sure I would.

You people aren't my hobby and I'm not your sugar daddy. If you want something to work either DO IT YOURSELF or hire someone to do it for you.