Wine+X11 Update

136 posts in this topic

Ok. I've got the latest Wine beta, v 0.9.7 that i pulled from cvs a few hours ago running on 10.4.4 8G1171 running and working.

Attacking Dawine projuects Wine helper and such next.

-D

Sounds great! 10.4.4? Hopefully it will also work in 10.4.3! Keep up the work! I can setup hosting if you want it. You might also want to give all your code to the Darwine project so then can improve it also.

Sam Krupa

Nothing to give...its all there.

What I did:

1. Pulled current wine from cvs

2. Applied the patches located on the darwine del mailing list today. Will probably be on the archive web page tomorrow

3. ran config, but did --prefix=/Library/Wine

4. Had Chris build Winehelp while that chugged along

5. Done

It works.

-D

I'm presently re-re-re-recompiling wine, heheh as I forgot to do libXML.

As for games...let's scale it back a bit...kay? :thumbsdown_anim:

The wine configure script doesn't "do" opengl on os x, like a great many other things.

Also, note that i've not included *anything* from the Darwine tree as a lot of their stuff is presently set up to *not* work on i386. So i'm going thru, a little bit at a time, and dealing with issues one at a time. Once I think I have a Wine built will all of the normal dependencies in place, I plane to see what I can do about OpenGL, then sound.

On OpenGL: the X11 install has OpenGL libs, but the config script doesn't recognize them, and I'd personally rather use the OpenGL.framework and the GLUT.framework

So basically you can only run simple .exe applications? I personally didn't think anyone would get anywhere for atleast another few weeks when the new version of Vista comes out that according to Micro$oft is supposed to be feature complete. Kudos to you for figuring this much out. Plus thanks to everyone working on WINE and Darwine for helping make this possible. Keep up the good work. Do you have a compiled version you can send out for others to test and maybe speed things up?

Personally I love the windows version of MSN better than the Mac version due to more features in the windows one. I still use and love the Mac version and it runs nicely under Rosetta on my Intel Mac, but would it be possible to run the windows edition?

Utilities? We all want games! Games! GAMES!!! Okay, joking... Here are some good testing programs:

1. AOL's AIM (I know there is iChat, but some people like AIM)

2. IE 6

3. Google Desktop (joking, this would never ever ever work (-: )

4. Ad-Aware (this should be an interesting test)

Just for laughs:

1. IE 7 Beta

2. VMware

3. Magic Partition

4. Google Earth (uses OpenGL or DirectX, will never work under Darwine's current state, unfortunately)

I'm not really sure what the extent of what one can run is. I believe Wine is able to use the actual .dlls and such from windows installation.

I don't have said dlls handy, so I don't know, but I believe all of this info is online

-D

Sure.

I warn you. There is nothing to get excited about.

What I mean by this is, while this does in fact run windows apps, it *doesn't* seem to be running things that I *know* worked with the stuff that was floating around last summer. Its perplexing as to why this is.

There haven't been any responses on the list since my posts earlier today. I *know* there are os x specific issues that have been addressed in wine that aren't in the main tree, and probably not in these patches.

at any rate, these are the patches that were uploaded to the list earlier today:

-D

Archive.zip

None of these things installed. I tried grabbing old versions off oldversions.com...same result.

Utilities? We all want games! Games! GAMES!!! Okay, joking... Here are some good testing programs:

1. AOL's AIM (I know there is iChat, but some people like AIM)

2. IE 6

3. Google Desktop (joking, this would never ever ever work (-: )

4. Ad-Aware (this should be an interesting test)

Just for laughs:

1. IE 7 Beta

2. VMware

3. Magic Partition

4. Google Earth (uses OpenGL or DirectX, will never work under Darwine's current state, unfortunately)

I would like to mention one really good use of Wine is to run office. I mean you could use Rosetta and run mac:office or you could skip the emulating and run win office at near native speeds, and since the UI is all hardware accelerated (apple version of X11 is from what i am told), it will be fairly snappy.

similarly photoshop and other apps of its type may be used

I would like to mention one really good use of Wine is to run office. I mean you could use Rosetta and run mac:office or you could skip the emulating and run win office at near native speeds, and since the UI is all hardware accelerated (apple version of X11 is from what i am told), it will be fairly snappy.

similarly photoshop and other apps of its type may be used

Yes, I use Photoshop 7, Office 2003 (PP, word, and excel), and UltraIso.

please post the compiled file and all required additional files in a zip archive in a free file download site or in a torrent, or even to this site in a link (assuming the file is less than I think 100megs).

We'd all love to be able to use darwine again since it's been broken for osx versions greater than 10.4.1 intel.

cheers!

good job darkten. This is a reply to one of your previous posts of what we'd like to see, it's be awesome to see the windows MSN Messenger working on a mac, since the mac verson isn;t the greated thing i;ve ever seen, plus kinda slow, adium kinda blows too. Would that be a relatively easy project?

good job darkten. This is a reply to one of your previous posts of what we'd like to see, it's be awesome to see the windows MSN Messenger working on a mac, since the mac verson isn;t the greated thing i;ve ever seen, plus kinda slow, adium kinda blows too. Would that be a relatively easy project?

heh. if I know M$, MSNM "needs" ie, so i dunno.