Screensaver not starting +/- not requesting password after monitor sleep

GmRg

27 posts in this topic

Hey hackintosh owners. Been using Leopard on my Gateway laptop for a week now and I am absolutely loving it. I am however aware that I am not running it on a Mac and hence some issues are bound to come up. My only issue at the moment is that for some reason my screensaver doesn't start after the time I assigned for it. It does start however, when I test it or use the hot corners. Before that it often didn't request the password after coming out of monitor sleep or screensaver and now it doesn't request a password after I open the laptop lid also. So can anyone shed some light on this issue.

My Laptop specs are as follows:

Gateway P-6825 Laptop

Intel Core2Duo T5250 @1.5GHz

2 GB RAM 667MHz

Intel G965/960 Motherboard with onboard integrated X3100 Graphics Accelerator

My Leopard Installation:

iAtkos 10.5.1 v1.0i r2

EFI

Intel X3100 patch

Thank You.

Can some body just point out the kext or some other file that controls the screensaver and the request for password after the screensaver. Thank you.

Update:

OK at this moment I have updated to 10.5.2 combo update (netkas method) and updated Graphics drivers for 10.5.2. Display sleep starts after the assigned idle and I get the password request. BUT, when the display wakes up the screen is fuzzy with green horizontal lines that won't go away until I restart. Screensaver still isn't starting after idle time. So as temp solution I turned off the sleep display option (to avoid the fuzzy lines after wakeup) and now the monitor only goes to sleep when I close the laptop lid. Still need a way to start the screensaver and request password afterwards. I am anxiously waiting for a solution.

• 2 weeks later...

I edited the screensaver plist file to solve this. I forgot exactly how I did it, so your'll have to search for the info. I can tell you where the file is, though:

~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.screensaver.<MAC address to currently active interface>plist

To all of you a question:If you logout and then login again, then does screensaver start after idle time????If yes, then i can provide a possible solutionAnd something else...If you boot with -f option then does screensaver start after idle time?

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I can confirm that, using Kalyway 10.5.2 updated to 10.5.4 with modbin kernel 9.4.0, the same symptoms are experienced, ie. screensaver doesn't start when it should although works in test and the log out/log in trick rectifies functionality.

[i also posted this response here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry874376]

• 2 weeks later...

Im having the same problem, my screensaver wont start either. log out/in does work, but if you shutdown or restart the problem comes back up for me.

I tried deleting the ~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.screensaver.... file previously mentioned and the file was replaced when i went into the screensaver settings, although that didnt do anything.

I tried repairing permissions, nothing

I did some looking around and it looks like real macs might have this problem too. Although I could have sworn my screensaver worked when i installed iatkos 10.5.4, maybe i just imagined it. I recently reinstalled osx starting from a brazilmac installation and thats when i noticed this issue.

I can confirm that deleting all com.apple.screensaver files in /Users/(your username)/Library/Preferences/ByHost restores automatic screen saver initialization and password prompt.

My sleep also wasn't asking for a password after wake but that was fixed after I installed the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext with the IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext.

If anyone is still having trouble with their automatic screensaver function try editing this file (may be in a slightly different location for others)

/System/Library/Frameworks/ScreenSaver.framework/Versions/A/Resources/EngineDefaults.plist

the value under the key "idleTime" is the default time setting for the screensaver in seconds, the default value is - 1200

the value under the key "moduleName"is the default screensaver name, you may change the screensaver to whatever you like, the default value is - Flurry

This worked for me - Hope this helps some you out there too

• 4 weeks later...

I experience the same issue using iDeneb v1.3 (10.5.5). After following the instruction below and restarting, system prompts for password after monitor sleep as well as for screensaver exit. I hope it works for you guys.

"SOLUTION: Browse to Home>Library>Preferences and drag com.apple.systempreferences.plist to the desktop.

Caused by a corrupt user preferences file. On restart, you may find user settings have defaulted. Set up as desired."

Reference:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=6016105

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=7974248

• 3 months later...

I can confirm that deleting all com.apple.screensaver files in /Users/(your username)/Library/Preferences/ByHost restores automatic screen saver initialization and password prompt.

I run iDeneb 10.5.5 on Intel Core2Duo 2GHz, 5PK Motherboard, ATI Radeon 2600 HD, Audigy 2 soundcard, 4 GB DDR2 667.

Edit: bt only until restart. Restaring the system or modifying screensaver settings recreates the .plist file in ByHost folder and the thing doesn't start again.

• 1 month later...

I run iDeneb 10.5.5 on Intel Core2Duo 2GHz, 5PK Motherboard, ATI Radeon 2600 HD, Audigy 2 soundcard, 4 GB DDR2 667.

Edit: bt only until restart. Restaring the system or modifying screensaver settings recreates the .plist file in ByHost folder and the thing doesn't start again.

No luck with password and screensaver or password and sleep even when removing the files. I can't figure out whay when I make a new account it works untill the first time I reboot.

• 8 months later...

Has this issue been resolved? I'm having this problem too... I'm on an Acer Aspire one (Atom 270, 1GB RAM) with iAtkos v7 and Voodoo kernel 9.5.0

The strage thing is: it has worked for me, but stopped when I tried out fakesmc.kext, and removed dsmos.kext. It didn't work, so I deleted fakesmc.kext, and kextloaded dsmos.kext, after which I chmod -R 755 and chown -R root:wheel it. Everything went back t normal, except... the screensaver. Only after logout/login. I can't figure it out. Anyone?

• 3 months later...
Hey hackintosh owners. Been using Leopard on my Gateway laptop for a week now and I am absolutely loving it. I am however aware that I am not running it on a Mac and hence some issues are bound to come up. My only issue at the moment is that for some reason my screensaver doesn't start after the time I assigned for it. It does start however, when I test it or use the hot corners. Before that it often didn't request the password after coming out of monitor sleep or screensaver and now it doesn't request a password after I open the laptop lid also. So can anyone shed some light on this issue.

My Laptop specs are as follows:

Gateway P-6825 Laptop

Intel Core2Duo T5250 @1.5GHz

2 GB RAM 667MHz

Intel G965/960 Motherboard with onboard integrated X3100 Graphics Accelerator

My Leopard Installation:

iAtkos 10.5.1 v1.0i r2

EFI

Intel X3100 patch

Thank You.

hi all

I also had the same problems (sleep and screensaver) and as mentioned above:logout and login again fixes my screensaver issue. after switching from vanilla kernel to voodoo kernel I solved my screensaver issue. which leaves only the sleep issue....

osx details:

iatkos 7

pc_efi 10.6

voodoo kernel

compter:

dell 760 optiplex:

• Intel® Q43 Express Chipset w/ICH10D
  • E8000 series Intel® Coreâ„¢2 Duo 6M, 1333 FSB

hi all

I also had the same problems (sleep and screensaver) and as mentioned above:logout and login again fixes my screensaver issue. after switching from vanilla kernel to voodoo kernel I solved my screensaver issue. which leaves only the sleep issue....

osx details:

iatkos 7

pc_efi 10.6

voodoo kernel

compter:

dell 760 optiplex:

• Intel® Q43 Express Chipset w/ICH10D
  • E8000 series Intel® Coreâ„¢2 Duo 6M, 1333 FSB

how to switch the kernal? Do I need to re-install OS?

• 4 months later...

Was having the same problem recently on an Asus eee 900 running iDeneb 10.5.8 and it seems that /System/Library/Frameworks/ScreenSaver.framework/Versions/A/Resources/EngineDefaults.plist was taking precedence over anything you set in System Preferences

So...

sudo nano /System/Library/Frameworks/ScreenSaver.framework/Versions/A/Resources/EngineDefaults.plist

will sort this out.

You just need to edit the value under the key "idleTime" in seconds i.e 600 to set it to 10 minutes before the screensaver kicks in. It seems the screensaver itself can still be set in System Prefs so no more editing is needed.

Should work in Snow Leopard as well, and also on real Macs.

Hope this helps

Cheers :)

Hugh