[HOWTO] Dual-Boot Kalyway 10.5.1 & Windows XP

31 posts in this topic

I have a question:

XP kept having a hal.dll error when I did the install as stated. I did the following instead:

Booted XP Install disk. Partitioned HD in two. I formatted both partitions to NTFS.

I then installed XP on one of the partitions. Then, I popped in my Kalyway and did all that jazz. OS X boots fine when I flag that partition, but there is not an option for XP.

So, I tried flagging that partition using fdisk. That did not work either. The system would not boot to anything but CD then. No hint of a bootloader or anything.

So, I currently stand with a valid xp install, and a valid leopard install but I cannot get it to boot into Windows. For what its worth, I would use GParted but I have an IP35-e and there are a ton of issues with sata drives and the linux kernels on the live CDs. That is not a viable option for me unfortunately or it would solve this problem!

What options do I have?!?

Bump.

I have tried to the chain0 method, and OS X will show up in the boot loader, but when you select it the screen refreshes and displays the option to boot to both again.

I have seriously put in like 15 hours on this trying different tutorials. Nothing seems to work.

One problem I have is that I have an ip35-e and thus most linux kernels won't boot, including GParted.

• 6 months later...
Cheers, I'll use NTFS I reckon.

Thanks for the link, knew there had to be some software somewhere !

First Off The App Ipartition doesn't resize partitions on its own, unless its the Ipartition Live cd thats Boots from

DOS That can resize a partition without wiping it,

Good luck finding that, all i god was the program itself not the live cd it come with thats cuz i downloaded via the

Bay with pirates

you're better off Wiping it clean and partitioning it with Disk Utility

2 partitions chose the size u'reself

and you're wrong again no mac app including Disk Utility partitions in NTFS

They Only got FAT32

If you're able to Partition it to NTFS with Disk Utility then its a Modified File format and the windows CD won't recognize it

read the previous post before your and use that

I have a question:

XP kept having a hal.dll error when I did the install as stated. I did the following instead:

Booted XP Install disk. Partitioned HD in two. I formatted both partitions to NTFS.

I then installed XP on one of the partitions. Then, I popped in my Kalyway and did all that jazz. OS X boots fine when I flag that partition, but there is not an option for XP.

So, I tried flagging that partition using fdisk. That did not work either. The system would not boot to anything but CD then. No hint of a bootloader or anything.

So, I currently stand with a valid xp install, and a valid leopard install but I cannot get it to boot into Windows. For what its worth, I would use GParted but I have an IP35-e and there are a ton of issues with sata drives and the linux kernels on the live CDs. That is not a viable option for me unfortunately or it would solve this problem!

What options do I have?!?

I think the live CD would work

but what you're experiencing is simple Leopard has made its partion active to boot,

as windows would have done the same leaving you with onel 1 os to see and boot at a time,

u could use any1 of those acronics, hirens boots cd, choose partition tools and select an Fdisk program

and just make the partion you want the os from active!!!

you can make a boot loader with most of those programs with a menu for both os's thats the desired solution good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed, lonerdj your multiboot how worked great for me can I suggest though instead of : flag <#>

simply : flag #

and then add where #equals your partition number, thats the only place I got hung up at

But thanks for your guide couldn't have gotten this far with the help of yoru post and this forum. :thumbsup_anim:

• 3 months later...