Apple G5 Case Mod (Suggestions, please)

stellarola

33 posts in this topic

Alright, I'll admit it. PC cases are fugly. :whistle: There.... (exhale)... it's out in the open. I think it's time for me to "think different". I want to mod a G5 case so I can get the great looks of an Apple machine and also hopefully grate some cheese while I'm at it... Parmesan anyone? :)

I just bought myself the case and should be expecting it toward the end of the week. However, I want to do this right. When I mean "right", I mean within my abilities of little to no modding experience. I'm lucky to have friends with the tools, so that won't be a problem in that department. I suppose I plan on doing a minimally intrusive install of a PC mobo. I don't think I'm going to hack up another PC case to steal the mobo tray. I do however have some PCB standoffs. So I guess I'll just glue them down and set the mobo on those.

Sort of in the same style that macmaniac did his...

casemod11.gif

^ NOT MY PICTURE!

So I guess that's how I plan on doing that.

Lemme give a break down of the parts that will be going in this system...

MOBO: DFI LANPARTY DK P35-T2RS

MEMORY: 4GB DDR2 memory (I'm stealing this from my current build until I get x4 2GB for a total of 8GB)

VIDEO: Nvidia 7900GS 256MB (Stealing this as well until I get an 8800GT 512MB)

PSU: I'll figure it out 500watt PSU :whistle:

HDD: 1 WD Raptor 160GB, 1 Seagate Barracuda 320GB

------------------------------------------------------------------

Alright so here is a little mock up I did. Please forgive the terrible drawing. I need a little help with the layout, I just can't see to get a good grasp on what would be best. I'm not sure if I should swap the positions of the HDDs and PSU. What do you guys think? :D

2251402611_bfdd3c7d46_b.jpg

Alright, so let me know what you all think and of course be as harsh as possible. :tomato:

-Stell

good luck stell, all im gonna say is it is not as hard as some people make it out to be. since your gonna use a full size atx mobo, just buy a mobo tray and use a dremel. its a great solution that looks pretty good

I think I'll take you up on that idea. How exactly is the back of the atx mobo tray staying in place? Also, do you have any pictures of your setup?

Thanks,

-Stell

i have one picture of my set up,and im not sure how people have the trays in. i originally had a full size atx board but because of os x compatibility went back to my matx and cut out one of my atx boards case and took out the tray. and screwed it into the top tray where the dvd drive goes in. the back of my case looks TERRIBLE compared to some people. i might be doing a new mod for my friend and im gonna try not to cut the case at all. my case stays tucked into my desk so no one sees the back.

IMG_0012.jpg

Closed shot.

IMG_0011.jpg

Open Shot.

there's a thread stickied at the top of this subforum that has a lot of good info too

personally, i'm gonna try to make mine as close to factory as possible. inside and out

optical and hard drives up top, bottom mounted psu

there's a thread stickied at the top of this subforum that has a lot of good info too

personally, i'm gonna try to make mine as close to factory as possible. inside and out

optical and hard drives up top, bottom mounted psu

Yea, I've read the sticky, but I'm just looking for another method of doing this mod. I want to do the same as you though. Minimal mod to the case.

-Stell

Yea, I've read the sticky, but I'm just looking for another method of doing this mod. I want to do the same as you though. Minimal mod to the case.

-Stell

I just bought my ATX Tray and going to put it in soon. Also, Their is post with Diagrams which show you how to use the G5 fans if you got them, and the front Panel.

I reused the standoffs from the original G5 case and glued them to the case. Check my report in the sticky thread!

BUT.... you're not going to be able to fit the PSU where you have drawn it, there's not enough room. Also, you're using a full-sized ATX mobo (like me). If you're not using an ATX tray like above, you'll not be able to use some of the PCI/PCIe slots (like me).

Hey guys. So I got the case in and it's in OK condition. A little more scratched than I had imagined it would be, but not terrible. So when I got it in, I went to work right away. I have to change my plans as this case has a rather small inside. Here are some pictures of some starting work I've done. Not much to look at really.

dscf1851fp7.jpg

and

dscf1852ap3.jpg

As you can see the dvd drive barely misses the motherboard, but I can still access everything I need to on the mobo. Also I can fit 1 hdd bay above the motherboard as well. PSU will likely be mounted to the front area along with some fans. I haven't quite decided what I will do with the backpanel...

-Stell

• 2 weeks later...

How's it coming along Stell?

I'm new to this forum and you guys have inspired me to also to do the G5 mod for my PC. Don't skimp on details or pictures please.

Keep up the great work and good luck!

-Cliff