Changing hard drive icons.

25 posts in this topic

You cannot change on the desktop only. they will change everywhere.

It's easy. Pick up an icon (from another app/module/etc). Get Info on that app/module.

Click on the small icon on top until you get a blue halo. Copy it (with Alt-C or Apple-C or what is named). "Get Info" on the specific hard drive. Click on the hard-drive icon on top until you get the halo. Do Paste (Alt-V) and you're set.

I don't see why not, I can see my WindowsXP HDD on OSX and I can save files to it. I try not to... Cuz I don't want anything to mess up, but as far as pics and music, I've been making beats with GarageBand and saving the mp3 to my music folder in Windows

NTFS is a Microsoft secret. Its encryption or something :( is so advanced that no one other than Microsoft knows how to write to it. Some people are attempting to make a writing driver for Linux, but it's dangerous and sometimes destroys the drive. Apple decided to not be liable for suing and only including a reading driver for NTFS.

You can convert your NTFS to FAT32 using Norton PartitionMagic. It's dangerous, though, so backup your data first.

Yeah I did try to copy a file to it and sure enough it wouldn't happen. That's crazy, I swore I did it before. Maybe it was my imagination. Or maybe I am thinking of Linux. Who knows. So I guess there's just no way to change the hdd icons on the desktop then eh? Besides converting to FAT32.

Yeah I did try to copy a file to it and sure enough it wouldn't happen. That's crazy, I swore I did it before. Maybe it was my imagination. Or maybe I am thinking of Linux. Who knows. So I guess there's just no way to change the hdd icons on the desktop then eh? Besides converting to FAT32.

It can be done see my screen shot.. All you have to do is open CandyBar and go to System Icons / Then on the Internal Volumes, change that icon to the icon you want.. Then Apply, then go to Volumes and change you Mac Volume Icon to what you want, apply, quit, restart. BINGO.

post-21112-1139547988_thumb.png

Kevlar, where are those beautiful icons in your dock from? Is that an effect from CandyBar or did you create them yourself? I haven't played with CandyBar yet, but I guess now I'll have too, as I'm a junkie for custom icon sets. :D

I also had the same problem as people above with the icons for ntfs drives. Now I now the solution, earlier I even tried copying a OS system file that held the drive icon onto the ntfs drive through windows. It was a .icns file that started with a . so it was hidden. Needless to say, that didn't work either.

Kevlar, where are those beautiful icons in your dock from? Is that an effect from CandyBar or did you create them yourself? I haven't played with CandyBar yet, but I guess now I'll have too, as I'm a junkie for custom icon sets. :D

I also had the same problem as people above with the icons for ntfs drives. Now I now the solution, earlier I even tried copying a OS system file that held the drive icon onto the ntfs drive through windows. It was a .icns file that started with a . so it was hidden. Needless to say, that didn't work either.

jbjonas -

The icons in my dock ended up being custom made. I was using the icons from 'Xpack' and decided that I liked the rounded square image that the icons for the volumes in 'Xpack' used, so I pretty much copied the square minus the middle 'image' in the square and made my own. I absolutely love my new icon set, exactly what I was looking for, very uniformed.

CandyBar is an Awesome program.. The demo let's you change upto 25 icons and it's simple and easy. Cough up the $13 and buy it, well worth it IMHO.

The icons in my dock ended up being custom made...

Kevlar, would you be willing to share those with the community here?

Maybe as a pack of icons in http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=5398

or your own topic in the customize section?

I know that many of us would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Dude, you rock so hard... It's almost like you're bulletproof :D

Thanks again!

Haha. That's good.. You don't know how many people ask me on a daily basics what "Kevlar" means or is. (I go by Kevlar). Glad to know some people in the world are educated. Hope you enjoy the icons.. If you need any built, to match the theme PM me.

Wow Kevlar, that is seriously a nice icon set. Thanks! Also as far as CandyBar goes, I DID try that but when I went to install it, it crashed. I assumed it is not for OSX x86. Am I wrong? If not, where did you get the correct install for Candy Bar. It looked very cool but like I said, when I tried to install it, it just crashed and burned. Thanks.

I had absolutely no problems installing Candybar 2.5.1

got it at http://www.iconfactory.com/cb_home.asp

I'm using 10.4.3 8F1111A though, don't know if that matters.