7900GTX vs 8800GT in OSx86 [10.5 Leopard]

deleted_account

13 posts in this topic

Personally, i would say the 8800GT, get a good CPU cooler like a thermalright 120extreme and overclock your quad to at least 3ghz[which should be fine on the stock cooler]
Hmm..thanks for the response...i've never considered overclocking before, it was always secondary to me, since i'm filled with work constantly, however, I may take your suggestion, a significant difference? As for the CPU cooler, are you referring to the, Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme? How many case fans do you need to operate that thing? And did you put a 1200mm on the heatsink?As for back to my original question, yes, I'm deciding between the 2, but it seems the 8800GT is not yet stable, especially for the work I do, I don't feel like taking my chances, but let's say if they were both to be stable, any significant difference in performance? I'll be back with some bench results I can find, maybe even test them out myself.
I'm using the latest beta 10.5.2 NVidia drivers with my 8800GTX and stability isn't an issue. It is just as stable as the 7900GS I had in my previous machine. (and by stable I mean ---- zero problems :) )
ooh...this is going to be a tough one, thanks for the info! I believe in the 8x00 more now I guess. I have an OEM Nvidia 8800GT, have yet to use it. Did you use NVinject 1.3? and did you have to edit your graphics strings or any kexts? Just looking at your sig, how is yiour machine working altogther, it looks nice! What motherboard are you running for 6gb memory?These: "GUID, PC EFI v8 + gfx string" are important for a close to native os x right?

Here is some pics of my system [NOT in it's case]

http://pcdb.overclockers.com.au/view.php?n...h&page=pics

Since these photo's, i have replaced the Nocta fan with a Scythe 110CFM fan.

Mine runs 3.6ghz [lots of voltage needed for that] easily under 70C with this setup

As for the case cooling in general, the cooler points to the back, on intake fan at the front, and my Corsair PSU vents the top.

I can with my motherboard [GA-P35-DS4] run my quad at 3ghz Undervolted, so it is making less heat at 3ghz than it would if all bios settings were set to auto.

I'm also considering getting an 8800GT, to replace my 7900GS, so i will watch this thread with interest

Here is some pics of my system [NOT in it's case]

http://pcdb.overclockers.com.au/view.php?n...h&page=pics

Since these photo's, i have replaced the Nocta fan with a Scythe 110CFM fan.

Mine runs 3.6ghz [lots of voltage needed for that] easily under 70C with this setup

As for the case cooling in general, the cooler points to the back, on intake fan at the front, and my Corsair PSU vents the top.

I can with my motherboard [GA-P35-DS4] run my quad at 3ghz Undervolted, so it is making less heat at 3ghz than it would if all bios settings were set to auto.

I'm also considering getting an 8800GT, to replace my 7900GS, so i will watch this thread with interest

Very nice...i'd have to ask, is it safe running without a case?

Also, GAINWARD! I don't live in UK or AUS so Gainward is not in the market here (US). Anyway, the new 8800GT has 1gb version, check it out here, it may interest you if you plan on getting another gainward:

http://www.mvktech.net/content/view/3916/39/1/0/

http://www.gainward.net/main_en.html

gw88g1gbg06nc2.jpg

8800gt/gts/gtx all are stable w/o an issue with various drivers found in this section

i would definately get the 8800gt over the 7900gs.. it is a better bang for the buck. The gt is a great card (although i have the 8800gts 640mb, works without a problem i may add)

for the 120 extreme, you just stick a 120mm fan onto it. It comes with clips for it.. i never got them working.. i just used string to attach it.. ha.

the Stock case fans that come with your case should be fine. Overclocking the quad to 3.2ghz may not be necessary. I personally cant get past 3ghz on my quad cause of its old steppings.

.ooh...this is going to be a tough one, thanks for the info! I believe in the 8x00 more now I guess. I have an OEM Nvidia 8800GT, have yet to use it. Did you use NVinject 1.3? and did you have to edit your graphics strings or any kexts? Just looking at your sig, how is yiour machine working altogther, it looks nice! What motherboard are you running for 6gb memory?These: "GUID, PC EFI v8 + gfx string" are important for a close to native os x right?

I started with NVinject which worked great. I DIDN'T need to edit the device ids either.

I later switch to using a gfx string with PC EFI v8.

The motherboard is the Dell OEM board. 6GB = 2 x 1GB + 2 x 2GB. (4 slots.)

I wasn't paying attention and bought the single 2GB DIMM thinking I was buying 2 x 1GB. Even though the motherboard will run with 3 DIMMs in mixed mode I just went and bought another 2GB to even it up so memory is working in dual channel mode.

Although Dell are noted for non-standard OEM changes, for the most part this machine is pretty standard and I really haven't had any major issues other than the unsupported ethernet chipset. (simple/cheap PCI card fix.)

Anything wrong with the 7900GTX performance wise? I heard they're close to a Quadro FX4500? ...which I'd go for a Quadro over any card anyday. The 7950GX2 would be out of question, since they're now supported in OSx86, but the 1gb may seem nice.

Here's a bench result, but it seems too limited to Video Games, which is what is what I don't use it for:

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_200...9&chart=312

8800gt/gts/gtx all are stable w/o an issue with various drivers found in this section

I'd have to disagree, while the latest betas are much better, I still get glitches with openGL. Easiest demonstrated by starting CIV, all the leaders are either missing skin textures or have eye and teeth textures on the outside (which looks kinda cool). Many benchmarks will crash on some OGL tests if you have AA and Aniso on full. Aperture can have issues when cascading lots of RAW images.

Roll on .2 and cross your fingers :)

I started with NVinject which worked great. I DIDN'T need to edit the device ids either.

I later switch to using a gfx string with PC EFI v8.

Could you share the gfx string with us? I didn't find any for the 8800GT in the netkas forum or here. Did you make it by yourself with gfx util?