Install Guide For Dell Latitude D630 and D830

roneil4

957 posts in this topic

@Silastar:

I had the same problem but i think iATKOS doesnt actually write the MBR correctly. I had the same problem. i fixed it by downloading ultimate boot cd from here:

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

burn it, boot it and run MBRWork under "Filesystem Tools | Partition Tools | MBRWork"

it'll display a menu of choices just dont press anytyhing and it will load the default up. once you get to a black screen with numbered menu choices and a "Choose Option: _" prompt I did a "5" enter key, "6" enterkey, "E".

reboot w/o CD and should be in iATKOS.

Thanks for your answer

Ok, so, I dl this ISO. Did the steps you suggested

When asked to press "5", it asked me if I was sure to want to do that, I said Y

Afterwards, pressed 6, it asked me to select the partition, I did...

And reboot... I get a Failure to load Operating system

That is a big step, I didnàt got that message before... I will try to reinstall Iatkos again, I might have missed something in the installation process

Nvidia Quadro NVS 135M working with QE/CI.

After a ton of trial and error installs, I finally got my Dell D630 with the Nvidia Quadro NVS 135M working with QE/CI support. Here's what I did:

*Install iATKOS 10.5.1.

*Install NVinject 0.1.3

*Modify /System/Library/Extensions/NVinject.kext/Contents/Info.plist.

*under <key>IOPCIDevice</string>, change the <string> ... </string> line to the following:

<string>0x042b10de&0x01fe1028 0x042010de&0x01fe1028</string>

*Remove /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

*Reboot

After the reboot, check what Leopard is reporting for your Graphics/Display (Under System Profiler). At this point, Leopard reports the following:

NVIDIA GPU:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GPU

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x042b

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: NVinject 0.1.3

Displays

Display:

Resolution: 1024x768

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Software

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

Rotation: Not Supported

* At this point, its important that Leopard recognizes the Nvidia card and its using the NVinject 0.1.3 ROM. If not, the next few steps will not produce the correct result...believe me, I have tried it.

* Install the Kalyway Intel Combo 10.5.2 update and reboot.

* The update will reboot again.

* Install the Leopard Graphics Update 1.0 (from Apple) and reboot.

* The boot this time takes extra long...could be from probing the video card. After a couple of minutes, you should see Leopard's desktop with a 1440x900 resolution. The System Profiler should report that Core Image is hardware accelerated and Quartz Extreme/Rotation is supported.

Silastar:

i saw on an earlier post of yours some possible install errors.

if you have a D630 why are you installing the sse2 kernel? also pick darwin x86 -OR- darwin efi (do efi). also none of the network kext will work unless you have a dell wireless card. the broadcom ethernet card doesnt work and the intel wireless dont either. you can do all efi and vanilla. i'm re-installing on my d630 to verify but only selecting the following should work best for you:

just install:

- iATKOS Main System

- expand Bootloader and check "Darwin EFI" so it installs all 3.

- No patches

- under "Drivers | System" select "AppleSMBIOS.kext"

select "Done"

ok so i just re-installed on my D630 and here's the steps you should take to install iATKOS on a D630 with x3100 video.

partition drive as MBR 1 partition and 1 word name as HFS+ Journaled.

customize install and only install

-iATKOS Main System

-expand bootloader and check "Darwin EFI" so it installs all 3 below. (Don't select darwin x86)

-dont select any of the patches

-under "Drivers | System" select "AppleSMBIOS.kext"

-dont select any of the network fixes

select "Done"

install and follow roneil4's instructions about deleting the AppleIntelGMA* files if you have the intel gfx.

reboot to a blinking cursor

insert the ultimate boot cd and boot it.

navigate to MBRWork under "Filesystem Tools | Partition Tools | MBRWork"

it'll display a menu of choices just dont press anytyhing and it will load the default up. once you get to a black screen with numbered menu choices and a "Choose Option: _" prompt I did a:

"5" to install standard mbr

"Y" to confirm

"6" to set a partition active

"0" to set partition 0 active

"E" to exit.

CTRL+ALT+DEL

reboot w/o CD and should be in iATKOS.

follow roneil4's steps to get audio and higher resolutions working. credit's to him.

OMG! It worked! Thank you so much!

Ok, was able to boot in MacOS, and then I tried to follow the process to install the kext for the GC. It work before doing the process, and now, I get a Black Screen right after boot (a bleu screen appears shortly, and then nothing)

Any comments?

OMG! It worked! Thank you so much! Ok, was able to boot in MacOS, and then I tried to follow the process to install the kext for the GC. It work before doing the process, and now, I get a Black Screen right after boot (a bleu screen appears shortly, and then nothing)Any comments?
i'm stuck at the same part actually. it just boots to a black screen. I used to sometimes need to move the mouse and it would wake but it isnt working now.i'm going to try installing kaly's combo update and go from there.

sifu2: you have a D630 with the NV135 video? could you run xbench for me please and post your results like i did earlier. i'm just wondering about the opengl score and how much the NV card will help the overall. thanks

roneil4 - both silastar and I can't get our x3100 to work. it works when i dont have the appleintelgma* files there but only 1024x768. i've tried a couple different configurations. fresh iATKOS install, and after doing the kaly 10.5.2 update. what are we doing wrong? i've kept my d630 on for 10min + waiting for it to come on but it wont. i'm going to keep messing but. i install with kext helper and doning it myself and runing disk util.

Xbench result for Dell D630...Here's my setup:

Dell D630 with 2GHz Centrino Duo, 2GB 667 MHz DDR, NVidia NVS Quadro 135M, 120GB Seagate ST9120827AS, iATKOS 10.5.1 + Kalyway 10.5.2 update

CPU: 124.92

Thread: 164.51

Memory: 145.98

Quartz: 183.36

OpenGL: 137.40

UI: 288.46

Disk: 33.67

Result: 104.74

with the sleep script in startup items and the fixed x3100 files in extensions folder when i boot with -v i see:

VID: Family specific matching failed

VID2: family specific matching failed

going to try to re-download that x3100zip and try again.

ok i finally got it working.

to get my x3100 working i used this file:

http://rapidshare.com/files/77986455/GMAX3...l_D630.zip.html

from this thread:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...1784&st=100

post #109, files by errandwolfe

i have kaly's 10.5.2 update installed. and have the AppleIntelGMA* files removed from Extensions folder.

i boot into iatkos with 1024x768 vesa.

and i use roneil4's sleep script to start at auto login and use kexthelper to install everything but the com.apple.Boot.plist from that GMAX3100-Dell_D630 zip. (install the natit.kext too). i now have 1280x800 CI/QE

ty roneil4 again for sleepscript and thanks errandwolfe for the x3100 files.

so if you download that zip, install all those kexts from it but not com.apple.Boot.plist. you dont need it. and you will need to use the sleepscript.app fix with those kexts. so follow the steps in the 1st post by roneil4. the screen will show a blue screen for a second, then go black for a few seconds, then it will show the desktop logged in.

Hi,

very nice guide, but of course I have a problem.

Everything goes well unit I boot for the first time and I get just a blinking cursor. So, I try the fdisk command, but when I use 'fdisk -e /dev/disk0s3 I get 'Resource busy'

Someone know what to do?

cheers,

nr91

i'm stuck at the same part actually. it just boots to a black screen. I used to sometimes need to move the mouse and it would wake but it isnt working now.i'm going to try installing kaly's combo update and go from there.sifu2: you have a D630 with the NV135 video? could you run xbench for me please and post your results like i did earlier. i'm just wondering about the opengl score and how much the NV card will help the overall. thanks
roneil4 - both silastar and I can't get our x3100 to work. it works when i dont have the appleintelgma* files there but only 1024x768. i've tried a couple different configurations. fresh iATKOS install, and after doing the kaly 10.5.2 update. what are we doing wrong? i've kept my d630 on for 10min + waiting for it to come on but it wont. i'm going to keep messing but. i install with kext helper and doning it myself and runing disk util.
When using iATKOS, don't select gmax3100. After installation completes, delete all of the intel gma files through terminal. Most importantly, appleintelintegratedframebuffer, and applegmax3100fb.kext. When you reinstall the kexts, install the sleepdisplayscript and the kexts in the folder in the first post at the same time. Reboot your computer, and after the screen goes black, wait a while. After a little while, your screen should come back.
with the sleep script in startup items and the fixed x3100 files in extensions folder when i boot with -v i see:VID: Family specific matching failed VID2: family specific matching failedgoing to try to re-download that x3100zip and try again.
This happens every once in a while, but you shouldn't have to boot in verbose mode to see it. If this error happens, reboot your computer, and it should boot.
ok i finally got it working.to get my x3100 working i used this file:http://rapidshare.com/files/77986455/GMAX3...l_D630.zip.htmlfrom this thread:http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...1784&st=100post #109, files by errandwolfei have kaly's 10.5.2 update installed. and have the AppleIntelGMA* files removed from Extensions folder.i boot into iatkos with 1024x768 vesa.and i use roneil4's sleep script to start at auto login and use kexthelper to install everything but the com.apple.Boot.plist from that GMAX3100-Dell_D630 zip. (install the natit.kext too). i now have 1280x800 CI/QEty roneil4 again for sleepscript and thanks errandwolfe for the x3100 files.
The files I have in the first post are the same as those files.
Thanks! I will try that...(how did you use the com.apple.Boot.plist?)EDIT: I've tried the sleep fix but it doesn't work either :-( It just freeze the computer
For sleep fix, you need to be running the vanilla kernel.
Thanks!But i can't download these files. :) Anybody help me?
Is it a problem with rapidshare?
roneil4:Hi, can you upload sources of your sleepdisplay.app and sleepscrip.app? (or just post the original script).Thanks a lot.
The source is attached. You can get a copy of the sleepdisplay application from the first post. I made the script w/ applescript, so it should be simple to modify.
Hi,very nice guide, but of course I have a problem. Everything goes well unit I boot for the first time and I get just a blinking cursor. So, I try the fdisk command, but when I use 'fdisk -e /dev/disk0s3 I get 'Resource busy' Someone know what to do?cheers,nr91
You may need to unmount the hard drive first. Open disk utility (on the install disk), and unmount the entire disk you are working with. Then, open terminal and try again.

SleepDisplay.scpt.zip

I see several people got there sound to work on there d630

I'm having problems with my sound on my d630 when I run the frog and then drag

the codec text to it I get this, am I not doing something, does someone have any step by step for this.

AppleHDA Patcher - 2006/2007 by Taruga v1.20

* Patching AppleHDA.kext to 0x838476a0 Done

* Checking AppleHDA for patch Done

0001f4a7 cmpl $0x838476a0,%eax

0002058b cmpl $0x838476a0,%eax

* Checking for SPDIF Out Detected

* Checking for SPDIF In Not Detected

* Using the following nodes in pathmap

Speaker :

* Copying new config to destination Done

* Repairing Permissions Done

* Deleting Extensions Cache Done

** Done patching - You can reboot now **

yaoaijia: try the iATKOS dvd. i had the same issue when i would use kalyway.

truetorak: did you install AppleHDA.kext? it's on this thread and may even be in roneil4's sound zip on the 1st post. download that zip. either copy that kext to extensions manually and fix permissions or use kext helper. make sure that's installed. then don't open the frog and drag. open 2 finder windows, 1 with the frog icon and another with the codec.txt drag the codec.txt to the frog icon in the finder window.

Hello Roneil4. I have just discovered your guide and it has helped me so much to make the sound work in my computer, which is the same one as yours: Dell Latitude D630,with iAtkos 1.0ir3 instaled and i have Intel® Pro/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection. I just wanted to ask you how you managed to make the Wireless Card work. I can´t connect to internet in any way. And I would be grateful if you could help me with this. Warm regards. ;)

Hello Roneil4. I have just discovered your guide and it has helped me so much to make the sound work in my computer, which is the same one as yours: Dell Latitude D630,with iAtkos 1.0ir3 instaled and i have Intel® Pro/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection. I just wanted to ask you how you managed to make the Wireless Card work. I can´t connect to internet in any way. And I would be grateful if you could help me with this. Warm regards. :D

I have a Dell Wireless 1390 card, which works out of the box on leopard. Intel wireless cards currently do not work with os x, but there is a project underway to port the driver to os x. You would probably be better off buying a new wireless card off of ebay, because they are very cheap. If you do this, look for a dell wireless 1390 (for b/g support), a dell wireless 1490 (for a/b/g support), or a dell wireless 1505 (for a/b/g/n support) card. These all work out of the box for os x. To enable wireless N support on the 1505, you have to install a small patch. The 1505 was included in the first generation Macbook and Macbook Pro, and they also needed this patch to enable N support. I am unfamiliar with how to find the patch for free, but I know that you can buy it through apple for a few dollars.

Hello roneil4 thankyou for your instructions. Now everything is working fine in my laptop with iATKOS v1.0ir3, however I have a doubt about the setup of the Bios in the computer. Firstly, in which format must I leave my hard disc: in ATA or AHCI for it to work better; and secondly, I have doubts about the setup of the Multi Core Support: should I make it work with 2 activated cores or is it better to leave it with only one ? I would be very grateful for your help, because sometimes the speed of the processor changes by itself: I have a 1.80 Ghz processor that sometimes changes to 1.33 after I restart Leopard, and I can't figure out why. Thanks :hysterical:

Hello roneil4 thankyou for your instructions. Now everything is working fine in my laptop with iATKOS v1.0ir3, however I have a doubt about the setup of the Bios in the computer. Firstly, in which format must I leave my hard disc: in ATA or AHCI for it to work better; and secondly, I have doubts about the setup of the Multi Core Support: should I make it work with 2 activated cores or is it better to leave it with only one ? I would be very grateful for your help, because sometimes the speed of the processor changes by itself: I have a 1.80 Ghz processor that sometimes changes to 1.33 after I restart Leopard, and I can't figure out why. Thanks :P

You should leave it with AHCI forever. This will give you better performance in windows and os x. Also, you should leave 2 cores enabled. This does not effect how the processor's information is read. I have the same problem as you sometimes. If you boot up your computer on battery power, this may happen. I think speedstep is built into the BIOS of some dell systems, so when you go on battery power, speedstep kicks in. It will lower the clock speed of your processor based on the amount that it is used. If you open processor intensive programs on battery, speedstep will change the clock speed back to the highest your processor can go (in your case, 1.8 GHz). When you boot up, your processor could be underclocked, and if so, os x will read the underclocked speed as the real speed. os x only reads the speed once on boot, so even as the clock speed increases, the reading will stay the same.

Hello roneil04,

Thank you very much for your guide. You helped me to get leopard work on my d630. ;)

I've followed your installation guide (iAktos 1.0r2) but taking the GMAX3100 files from lithium06 link. With the link you gave in your first post the screen remains black on my laptop.

I suggest that you give also the link on lithium06 lasts post.

By the way I've a trouble with the power management as there is no way for me to activate the icon in the menu bar (the option is not present in the pref pane you indicated). Maybe I 've missed something ? :blink:

As you suggest I'll purchase a Dell wireless 1505 card as I've an airport extreme base station 802.11n