Install Guide For Dell Latitude D630 and D830

roneil4

957 posts in this topic

has anyone tried this: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=668434

With that new USB kext plugin my D830 will sleep to S3 mode (hibernatemode 3) When I set hibernatemode to 0, it still sleeps in S3 mode (doesn't seem to pick up the change in hibernatemode). When I open the lid again or press the power button to wake my D830, it seems to be resuming, (power led stops pulsating, bluetooth and wifi led turn on again) but at the point where you'd expect your desktop to appear, I get a blinking cursor. The only thing I can do is press and hold the powerbutton to force a poweroff.

Does anyone have a different experience, and if so, any idea why?

I'm trying to install on a D630 - intel centrino duo - with intel GM956

I have Kaly's 10.5.1 and i can get to press F8 for boot options

I enter 'vanilla' only (w/o quotes) and it eventually gives me the hold down power button error.

I've tried messing with stuff in the BIOS.

I have the hard drives set to AHCI.

I've tried booting with cpus=1 -v and I get an ACPI kernel panic.

You guys have something different than me in your BIOS?

I have BIOS A02. I'll try updating.

fixed replacing appleacpiplatform appleps2controller and adding acpips2nub

I'm a newbie, and I'm having same problem with keyboard and touchpad, on laptop not working, doesn't even detect during startup phase.

Can you explain in detail what you did here please.

The two things I would like to get help with is keyboard trackpoint, and duel display. I have a D630.

Working:

sound

bluetooth (i have a bluetooth mouse and keyboard attached)

wi-fi - like AirPort

full accelerated video

NonWorking:

keyboard and trackpoint

LAN - not even detected

Dual Display

Shutdown, Reboot and Sleep functions (this only does this when I install the nvidia drivers, at start generic driver shutdown and reboot works)

I'm a newbie, and I'm having same problem with keyboard and touchpad, on laptop not working, doesn't even detect during startup phase.

Can you explain in detail what you did here please.

i can't rember the exact thread,

search for acpips2nub, sorry <_<

For those of you looking for another solution to get LAN, I would recommend the D-Link DFE-690 PCMCIA Card. It's nice and cheap (about $30 US), based on the Realtek 8139 chipset (just add dev/vendor ID to kext), and it does not cause any problems with sleep (unlike a USB NIC).

I just finished updating the guide. Also, would anyone be interested in a guide to install an untouched copy of leopard on the d630/830? I am writing this now from a 99% vanilla installation of leopard (I had to replace AppleACPIPlatform and AppleSMBIOS, and I added dsmos and ApplePS2Controller. Afterwards, I installed all of the other drivers in the guide here. I created an installer disk by patching the retail leopard disk.

EDIT: I also added some new kexts to the guide, in the zip sleep_fix. When installed, these kexts will allow you too sleep with the vanilla kernel on 10.5.1 or 10.5.2.

i had a sucessful install of iATKOS with some MBR fixing and boot flags but i finally got it. but if i leave it set idle for awhile it freezes and i only had 1024x768. so i tried the x3100.zip file post 1 in this thread (no sleep.app included as said) and now i reboot to a quick blue screen then turns to black... an ez fix?abeltcb: you saying that the Leo4all worked on your D630? do you have 1280x800 or 1024x768?

i had a sucessful install of iATKOS with some MBR fixing and boot flags but i finally got it. but if i leave it set idle for awhile it freezes and i only had 1024x768. so i tried the x3100.zip file post 1 in this thread (no sleep.app included as said) and now i reboot to a quick blue screen then turns to black... an ez fix?abeltcb: you saying that the Leo4all worked on your D630? do you have 1280x800 or 1024x768?

Sorry, I changed some files a little while ago, and uploaded the wrong zip. Here is what you need to do now: boot with -s option at darwin bootloader (hit f8 when it counts down), and when it boots to a command prompt, run the two commands at the top of the screen (/sbin/fsck -fy (or something similar) and one other command below it). This will mount your filesystem. Next, type "cd /System/Library/Extensions". Now, type all of the following commands in sequence:

rm -rf AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext

rm -rf AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext

rm -rf AppleIntelGMAX3100GA.plugin

rm -rf AppleIntelGMAX3100GLDriver.bundle

rm -rf AppleIntelGMAX3100VADriver.bundle

Now your system should be bootable again, but in VESA mode (meaning 1024x768). To fix this, follow the instructions in the guide about the GMAX3100. I fixed the file link, so now the download includes the sleepdisplay stuff. On boot (after installing sleepdisplay stuff), your system display should flash the blue screen, then go black. After a little while, the display will reawaken. At this point, your resolution should be the maximum that your monitor can handle.

Also, you shouldn't use Leo4All, because it has some issues with GMAX3100 graphics.

I would like my docking station with DVI outputs to my monitor to work.

Any ideas on this?

I've never heard about compatibility with this, but it could work out of the box, because the gmax3100 in the current MacBook supports DVI out through the mini-DVI jack. If you have an NVIDIA Quadro nvs 135m or 140m, it is much less likely that it will work. If it doesn't work out of the box, it will probably never work, because of lack of demand for the feature. If this is essential to your use of OS X, you could try asking around on some of the OSx86 irc channels. Also try looking around more on this site.

now, just if there was support for B57xx eth and intel 4965 wireless... other than that, runs nice. boots fast.

Great! To get wireless support, I recommend buying one of the dell cards. People are always trying to get rid of them on ebay because of their incompatibility with linux. If you want to keep your intel wireless card also, you can even install both cards at the same time (unless you have a mobile broadband card).

so the D630 i installed iATKOS on was a work laptop i wanted to experiment with.

The D630 i installed iATKOS on had the bluetooth module and it all worked, i was able to sync up a bluetooth mouse and use it.

and thank you roneil4, if i buy a D630 for myself i will definitely get one with the dell wireless or get 1 on ebay.

another question tho - does the nvs 135m work fine with the newest nvinject?

is it hard to get it running during iATKOS install?

easier install than the x3100? better performance? worth the $70 upgrade?

thanks

update:I tried the 10.5.2 that was suggested here, first i tried the update, first it froze at around 50% reboot gave an error Mac OS version:Not yet setKernel version:Darwin Kernel Version 9.1.0: (date) made by ToH ......then I tried the 10.5.2 install disk same error didn't even get to the install screenI then tried the 10.5.2 install on a D620, it installed first try however video was really choppy, no network, os very slow.so i imaged the harddrive to the d630 and now this is what

Dell D630(Installed leo4all)()

* Intel Core2 Duo T7300 (2.0GHz) (working)

* 2GB DDR-2 667MHz (working)

* Nvidia 135 (working)

* Docking Station (working)

* Duel Monitors (working)

* Sigmatel STAC9205 sound (not working)

* sata 80GB (working)

* DVD+-RW TSSTcorp TS-L632D (working)

* Intel ICH8 (working)

* RICOH OHCI Compliant IEE 1394 Controller (working)

* Dell Truemobile 355 Bluetooth + EDR (working)

* Conexant Modem (not working)

* Broadcom 10/100 Integrated Controller (not working)

* Intel Wireless WiFi 360 intregrated bluetooth (working)

* Internal USB Slots (working)

* Onboard Keyboard and Joystick (working)

* Power Managment (not sure)

The two things I really need to get working is the sound and modem, before I can say goodbye to windows, broadcom working would be a bonus......

does anyone know how to get by Mac OS version:Not yet set error. when doing a 10.5.2 leo4all installyeah i can get it to work by imaging from a differnet system problem is that takes over 2hours

Hi !

I have also a d830 for few days.

Nvidea works very well --> TNX !

PCMCIA also fine --> Tnx again :-)

Now it is time to get your sound card (sigmatel 9205) working. Download the attached zip archive, named sound_files.zip, and unzip it. Now, unzip the file applehdapatcherv1.20.app.zip. This is Taruga's applehdapatcher version 1.2. Now drag the text file codec_dump1.txt onto the frog icon. Once the application opens, enter your password, press enter, and it will begin patching your system. When it is finished, reboot your system. Now, unzip the file applehda.kext.zip. Open kexthelper, and drag the applehda.kext file onto the whitespace in the application. Enter your root password, and click easy install. When the install finishes, reboot your system, and your sound should be almost fully working! (Line-In, internal speakers, headphones, and automatic muting of speakers when headphones are plugged in all works, but muting with the mute button does not work). The kext was originally made by paulo-131, but I made a small modification to it so that it would work with my D630. D830 users may have other options, go here for the thread containing more information.

Sound doesn´t work here ??!!

I got the Frog in the dock, but when i drag the txt file on the Frog nothing happens ???

Any help ?

linux 150