Install Guide For Dell Latitude D630 and D830

roneil4

957 posts in this topic

Did the steps on my 630.

And its working a little ;)

Strange thing is, when i reboot. After the blue screen, the laptop screens goes off. I can attach a monitor, and see the screen (not mirroring).

When i press FN-ESC the laptop goes in standby. When pushing the power button, the laptop comes back, and then the screen is working on the laptop. Also noticed when i put the laptop in standby and back online, that the keyboard is f....d up. I need to put an external usb keyboard to type.

More people having this issue ?

And perhaps someone an solution ?

thanks!

Is there any known update for iAtkos. I would like to give it a try but am afraid to lose my install. Please let me know if there is a iatkos update for 10.5.2

Several post in this thread have mentioned that they have had success with the kalyway update on their iAtkos. May want to read it though before you commit to it. http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=87170

So, I've talked to some people / tore apart my laptop, and it is possible to install TWO wireless cards in the D830.

Unless you're running a WWAN card. But, if you're not, you can buy and install the Dell 1390 right next to the Intel card, and there's an extra set of antennae leads right there, so you connect it as usual, and once you're in windows, use the hardware manager to disable the dell card, and when you boot to OSX, should run perfect!

Now I just need the fellow from ebay to ship me my 1390 I paid for a few days back already.....

UPDATE!!!!

So, I received my Dell 1490 wireless card the other day (bought that instead of 1390.... don't really know why).

Works out of the box - OSX recognizes it as a "Third Party Wireless Card". Had a bit of a problem connecting to my WPA2 network - I think it was because I was using TKIP cypher instead of leaving it on automatic....

But my plan worked perfect! So I now have internet, and a method of messing around in OSX with OSX. If I get any further, I'll post as usual. But considering I'm a noob, I have no idea how much help I can be.

Cheers

Mark

For those of you wondering if it is a good idea to install the Leopard Graphics Update after you get all this working:

It is not a good idea to install the Leopard Graphics Update

That is all.

Did the steps on my 630.

And its working a little ;)

Strange thing is, when i reboot. After the blue screen, the laptop screens goes off. I can attach a monitor, and see the screen (not mirroring).

When i press FN-ESC the laptop goes in standby. When pushing the power button, the laptop comes back, and then the screen is working on the laptop. Also noticed when i put the laptop in standby and back online, that the keyboard is f....d up. I need to put an external usb keyboard to type.

More people having this issue ?

And perhaps someone an solution ?

thanks!

Got it working. Reinstall did the trick.

Profiler shows 1.2 ghz. So the software downgraded the laptop with +/- 600 mhz. :(

Lovely job roneil - thanks very much for putting the guide together.

I had about 10 failed installs under my belt before I found your guide. Followed your instructions and it works very nicely.

Of course, I've just discovered the non-working Broadcom Ethernet issue, and being a network engineer, I really need wired ethernet! What a disappointment. I guess it was fun getting this far, but I'm gonna have to switch back to Windows. :(

Cheers,

Phaedrus3

I've noticed something weird on my D830 with NVS 140m...the whole OS X interface seems a little laggy when i first boot up, but if i sleep the display after booting and wake the display up again, everything becomes quite snappy again (expose, dock, etc.)

I suppose its probably just a drivers issue of some sort...just thought it was rather interesting.

Oh, and running the xbench graphics tests before and after sleeping my display indicates that sleeping my display essentially doubles my overall scores.

Wonder if anyone else had noticed this?

if anyone wont to try the graphic update with the blackCH procedure found here:

http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,58...30.html#msg1630

I did nothing. I have a custom selfmade 10.5 install DVD. update to 10.5.2 with apple updates. x3100 was always working with natit. After install the graphic update I deleted natit. Is working well: QE/CI/dual monitor

you must always delete all the GMA950 kexts and the appleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext from the extensions folder.

heres the natit.kext I used before...

Natit.kext.zip (19.68 KB - downloaded 3 times.)

byebye

theSLug

Thanks for this tuto, I got my D630 working.

No Lan, No WLan and boot long after installing the NVidia Quadro 135m

Edit : tried iwi3945 for wifi without success but work on this driver is on progress

i need some help to get touchpad and keyboard working on my d630

i have installed kalyway 10.5.1 and after upgraded to 10.5.2

my specs:

Intel T7300

2GB Ram

NV Quadro 135M

BT dell 360

Intel 3945

I'm pretty much in the same boat as everyone else here, it sounds. Used iATKOS 1.0i, then upgraded to 10.5.2 using Apple's updater and the instructions found elsewhere here, then added the ps2nub kext, the audio kext, and NVInject for the NVS140M graphics.

The biggest problems are that shutdown and restart don't work. Fn-ESC does seem to work to sleep the machine however. Additionally, the ethernet doesn't work either. I haven't bothered to try and get the battery meter going, because I rarely use this solely on battery power, so that's not a priority for me.

If shutdown/reboot worked, I'd be a much happier guy. I think that's really all I'd need to use this as more than a nifty experiment.

ETA: I too have noticed that on first startup, there is a significant delay in the graphics. Fn-ESC'ing the machine to sleep it, then waking it up again, does nearly double the responsiveness of the graphics. Odd.

Similar problem here ... D830 with Kalyway 10.5.1 and the powermanagement bundle seems to have broken shutdown. I seem to have the choice of displaying battery% or the ability to shut the machine down.

Bummer.

D830 with Dell 1505 wireless card

NVS 140

Broadcom NIC

Installed Kaliway + 10.5.2 update with vanilla kernel and vanila ACPI and SMBIOS kexts

Mods:

replaced powermanagement.bundle and added AcpiPowerSorce for battery meter

ALC injector + custom HDA kext for audio

ACPIPS2Nub + PS2Controller kexts for keyboard

stock 10.5.2 video drivers + nvinject 0.2.1 for video

Working:

keyboard and trackpoint

sound

bluetooth (i have a bluetooth mouse attached)

wi-fi - like AirPort

full accelerated video

NonWorking:

LAN - not even detected

Dual Display

Shutdown, Reboot and Sleep functions

Similar problem here ... D830 with Kalyway 10.5.1 and the powermanagement bundle seems to have broken shutdown. I seem to have the choice of displaying battery% or the ability to shut the machine down.

Bummer.

I don't think it's powermanagement that's the problem, since I haven't even touched that and I'm unable to shutdown/restart. It seems to be a fairly common problem once you enable accelerated Nvidia graphics, as best as I can tell.

No Lan, No WLan and boot long after installing the NVidia Quadro 135m
I gave up on the iwi driver, and bought a Dell Truemobile 1390 mini-PCI adapter for £17 on eBay. Installed this morning and working! It is detected as a native Airport - presumably because it uses the same Broadcom chipset.
I don't think it's powermanagement that's the problem, since I haven't even touched that and I'm unable to shutdown/restart. It seems to be a fairly common problem once you enable accelerated Nvidia graphics, as best as I can tell.
Yeah - I'd agree with that. I'm pretty certain my shutdown problem occurred after installing the NVidia stuff.

Yeah - I'd agree with that. I'm pretty certain my shutdown problem occurred after installing the NVidia stuff.

Same here, i think, and long long boot... you too ?

Hmm. I really had hoped that I could use Mac OS X on this machine on a more active basis... unfortunately to add to the problems with reboot and shutdown and the wired network that doesn't work, I also found that I couldn't get the external video to work. Booting with a monitor hooked up, or hooking one up while started up and doing a detect monitors, both cause the built in display to go black and nothing to appear on the external monitor.

The video out problem is a real deal killer for me. I think Mac OS X is coming back off again until better video drivers become available.

I gave up on the iwi driver, and bought a Dell Truemobile 1390 mini-PCI adapter for £17 on eBay. Installed this morning and working! It is detected as a native Airport - presumably because it uses the same Broadcom chipset.Yeah - I'd agree with that. I'm pretty certain my shutdown problem occurred after installing the NVidia stuff.

Which version of the NVidia driver?

I went with 33 because 32 was unavailable and I cannot shut down properly. Does any version of this driver not have an effect on the shutdown/sleep function?

I am using iATKOS v1.0iR2. It installs fine, but when I go to boot for the first time it will just freeze. It is freezing on this when I do the -v command:

NTFS-fs warning (device /dev/disk0s5): ntfs_system_inodes_get(): Disabling sparse support due to NTFS volume version 1.2 (need at least 3.0)

After about 7 minutes I will get the spinning cursor for about 3 minutes than nothing. It will just repeat this.

I am using a D630 with A08 BIOS. I have disabled Speedstep and set the HDD to ACHI mode. For iATKOS v1.0iR2, I selected only the EFI emulation bootloader.

How can I get it to boot up? Do I need to hide my XP and Data partitions (I can use Acronis for this)?

I got my sound to work after I installed the AppleHDA.kext in the Sound Files folder on my D630 using Kalyway.

Im having an issue with my Graphics. The screen savers show across the screen. You can barely see anything. It's also shows wierd when I use Finder.

This is after I reinstalled the graphics driver because of the black screen issue.

Anyone know how to get the graphics to work?

I'm running the iATKOS 1.0ir2 install. Installation went smooth. I selected ONLY iATKOS and ALL the EFI stuff (vanilla kernel and vanilla ACPI). That selection should get you going with a running (networked) D830.

D830 with Dell 1390 wireless (had the intel 4965AGN before)

Quadro NVS 140 M (previously running on 10.5.2 graphic kexts and NVinjectGo 0.2.0c but now I'm running on a gfx string in com.apple.Boot.plist without the need for the NVinject kexts)

Sound works thanks to this topic starter

bluetooth works out of the box

DVD burner works out of the box

battery meter works with new powermanagement bundle and Powersource.kext plugin

sleep/shutdown/reboot does not work. Sleep just doesn't work at all. Shutdown/reboot worked before I messed with the NVinject or gfx util string to get met graphics supported. I suspect it is related to the NVCAP settings.

I have a dual boot setup (MBR based partition table) with Windows XP. I used iATKOS EFI to install, but replaced that afterwards with Netkas' EFI to get gfx strings to work. Dual boot and EFI is no problem, as long as you make the OS X partition the active one before you start the installation. A boot loader is installed automatically, you can still select Windows XP from there. Windows XP doesn't support SATA AHCI out of the box. You either need to reinstall Windows XP and load the AHCI drivers during XP installation or you can follow a trick I found on the dell user forum about SATA AHCI and installing those drivers with XP already installed. I tried that method, it worked fine for me. I've got both Leopard and XP running with AHCI (it is faster!)

I don't care much for my gigabit broadcom, but sleep/shutdown/reboot would be nice. But I'd prefer the vanilla kernel (stability) over that.

Can please you tell us where you found the trick(link) to install the AHCI drivers while XP is already installed.

Did it have to do with this http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss...ocid=MIGR-62909

Can please you tell us where you found the trick(link) to install the AHCI drivers while XP is already installed.

Did it have to do with this http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss...ocid=MIGR-62909

I found a topic on a Dell forum: SATA AHCI installation procedure when Windows XP is already installed

The topic title says it's for an Inspiron 1720, but it are the same files/drivers I used to get AHCI support enabled in an already installed XP.