Install Guide For Dell Latitude D630 and D830

roneil4

957 posts in this topic

Roneil.. Is there somewhere else to get these file?

Thanks

As requested by a few users, here is a guide for the Dell Latitude D630. You can set up a nearly perfect installation of Leopard 10.5.1 on the D630. I recommend that you use the Kalyway disc for this system, but you could also use iATKOS. I have used both, but in the end I settled on Kalyway because of it's out of the box support for sleep. I was never able to get sleep working on iATKOS, and speedstep was unstable on iATKOS, which was the only benefit I saw to using it. It is all personal preference though. If you use iATKOS, make sure you are using version 1.0iR2 or later, as this version makes the installer usable on GMAX3100 systems. If one of these install discs does not work for you, try the other one. Many users with the NVIDIA Quadro graphics card have reported problems with kalyway, so it's probably a better idea to stick with iATKOS if you have this card. You should be able to find both of these disc images on the bay of pirates ;) .

To begin, boot into your BIOS, and under performance, change your disk mode to AHCI. OS X runs much better when your HD is in AHCI mode. Next, boot off of your installation disk. If you are using Kalyway, press f8 when the boot prompt comes up on your screen. Then type vanilla, and then enter. You do not need to do this for iATKOS. It takes a while to boot, so be patient. When the language prompt comes up, click next. Once the installer finishes loading, click the utilities menu on the top of your screen, and then click disk utility. Disk utility is very simple to use. You must set up your main HD with at least one HFS+ partition, to install os x on. The partition you want to install leopard on needs to have a volume label that is only one word. For example, you could call it leo_volume, but not "leo volume". You should use the partition option, but this will erase all of the data on your disk. If you choose partition, make sure you set the partition scheme to MBR, and this can be set by clicking options in the partition window. If you have to, you can erase individual partitions, and format them to HFS+. Click next through the next few dialogs, until you get to the select disk window. Make sure you select the partition you formatted earlier to install os x on. Now click next again, and you should be at the screen that has two buttons, install and customize. Click customize. If using Kalyway, the only thing you should select is boot_efi_mbr within the Bootloaders EFI folder at the bottom of the list. The options for iATKOS are similar, but I don't remember them right now. Now click done, and then install. This will take about 20 to 30 minutes to complete, and when finished, your system should say installation complete, and show a countdown to reboot. If you have an NVIDIA graphics card installed in your system, click the reboot button now, and skip over the next paragraph of text. If not (meaning that you must have the GMAX3100), read on.

If you have the Intel GMAX3100 installed in your system, before that countdown ends, you need to click utilities on the top menu, and then click terminal. Now type these commands, in sequence, pressing the enter key at the end of each line (leo_volume should be replaced with the name of the partition you installed os x on in the first and last commands):

cd /Volumes/leo_volume/System/Library/Extensions
rm -rf AppleIntelGMA950.kext
rm -rf AppleIntelGMA950GA.plugin
rm -rf AppleIntelGMA950GLDriver.bundle
rm -rf AppleIntelGMA950VADriver.bundle
rm -rf AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext
rm -rf AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext
rm -rf AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext
rm -rf AppleIntelGMAX3100GA.plugin
rm -rf AppleIntelGMAX3100GLDriver.bundle
rm -rf AppleIntelGMAX3100VADriver.bundle
diskutil repairPermissions /Volumes/leo_volume

Now, you can reboot, but not into your leopard installation. First, you need to get a livecd partition manager to set your leopard partition to boot. I recommend GParted for this job. You can download it using the attached torrent file (zipped), which I got from the official GParted website. When you boot this livecd, it may not recognize your graphics adapter. I am using an older version of the livecd, so I don't know if it is still a problem. If the cd only boots to a linux command prompt, type FORCEVIDEO, enter, then VESA, then enter, and then 800x600. If that does not work for you, you can use 640x480 instead. Once the live system boots to the gui, there should be one window open, named Gparted. Now, right click the partition you installed leopard on, and click manage flags. Boot should already be checked, but you need to uncheck and recheck it. Then click ok. Now close the window, and double click the power icon on the desktop. Select the eject and reboot option, and click ok. Once the cd is ejected, press enter, and your pc will reboot. You can now (finally) boot into your new installation of Leopard!!! (If anyone has a better way of doing this, say so in the comments, because I don't know why this works, I discovered it myself when trying to boot my leopard installation)

Now, after completing the setup wizard, your leopard desktop should appear. But there are still many things you need to do now. If you installed iATKOS, you need to install the kext helper application before doing anything else, which can be found here: http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/26865/kext-helper . First, you should get your system to recognize your graphics card correctly. If you are using the GMAX3100, follow the steps below. If not, skip to the next paragraph.

For the GMAX3100, you need to download the zip archive here : http://rapidshare.com/files/90293323/GMAX3...l_D630.zip.html , named GMAX3100-Dell_D630.zip. This file contains the modified GMAX3100 kexts (made by errandwolfe), a script to run the sleepdisplay application, which I wrote, and the SleepDisplay application. First, drag the sleepdisplay folder onto the root of your Leopard install volume. If you double click the hard drive icon named after your install partition, it will take you to this location. Now, open the sleep display folder, and double click the file named sleepdisplayscript.app. This is only to get past the downloaded from the internet dialog that sometimes appears when getting apps off the internet. Now, open the system preferences application (the icon with gears on the dock) and select accounts. Now, select the main account, click login items, and click the plus icon. Browse to the root of your hard drive, open the sleepdisplay folder, select the sleepdisplayscript.app, and click add. You need to make sure that your system is set to login automatically for this to work, so from here click the lock in the bottom left corner of the window, type your password, and press enter. Next, click login options. Next to the automatic logon, select the account you added the login item to, and enter your password again. Now, open the application kexthelper. Go to the folder kexts, which was unzipped from the GMAX3100 archive earlier. Select all of the kext files, and click and drag them onto the white space in the kexthelper application. Then type your root password into the box, and click easy install. After it says cross your fingers and reboot, reboot your system. Now your graphics should be fully accelerated. To continue, skip over the next paragraph of text.

For the NVIDIA Quadro NVS 135m and 140m, the installation is much simpler. Go here: http://scottdangel.com/blog/?p=19 and click the nvinstallerv.32.pkg link. Once the download is finished, open the pkg file. In the installer, click 9c30 kexts, and nvinject vanilla. If you have the nvs135m, also select the 128mb card option. When the installation finishes, reboot, and your graphics should be fully accelerated.

Now, to get your battery meter partially working (it will only tell you percent charge left) in kalyway follow all of the steps below. The battery meter should work out of the box on iATKOS. Download the attached zip file, named powermanagement.bundle.zip. Now unzip it. From the root of your leopard install partition, open the folder system, then library, then systemconfiguration. Drag the file powermanagement.bundle onto the trash icon in the dock. Now drag the powermanagement.bundle you unzipped earlier into the systemconfiguration folder. Now open terminal, and type "sudo diskutil repairPermissions /" then enter, then enter your root password, then press enter. Once this process is complete, reboot your system. After the first time you disconnect the laptop from power, the battery icon will be displayed in the menubar.

Now it is time to get your sound card (sigmatel 9205) working. Download the attached zip archive, named sound_files.zip, and unzip it. Now, unzip the file applehdapatcherv1.20.app.zip. This is Taruga's applehdapatcher version 1.2. Now drag the text file codec_dump1.zip onto the turtle icon. Once the application opens, enter your root password, press enter, and it will begin patching your system. When it is finished, reboot your system. Now, unzip the file applehda.kext.zip. Open kexthelper, and drag the applehda.kext file onto the whitespace in the application. Enter your root password, and click easy install. When the install finishes, reboot your system, and your sound should be almost fully working! (Line-In, internal speakers, headphones, and automatic muting of speakers when headphones are plugged in all works, but muting with the mute button does not work). The kext was originally made by paulo-131, but I made a small modification to it so that it would work with my D630.

Next, you can get your PCMCIA card slot working. This is fairly simple to do. Download the attached zip archive named Chun-Nan_PCMCIA_Rev_6.zip. Unzip that, open the folder that was unzipped, and there should be two kexts inside. Once again, open kext helper, and drag these two kexts into the white space. Type in your root password, and click easy install. Reboot when it tells you too. Now, open terminal, and type "sudo dmesg | grep PC", press enter, enter your root password, and press enter. Your output should be the same as this if the installation was successful:

PCI configuration changed (BUS free=1 needed=1 added=0)
PCI configuration changed (bridge=0 device=1 yenta=1)
IOPCCard info:   Intel PCIC probe:   O2Micro OZ711EZ1 rev 21
AppleIntelPIIXPATA: Secondary PCI IDE channel is disabled
(A long line of gibberish, it was too long to put here)
FireWire (OHCI) VendorID 1217 ID f7 PCI now active, GUID 444fc00022a091a1; max speed s400.

These kexts were made by Chun-Nan, and EqUaTe told me where to find them.

Now, there are some finishing touches you can make to the os now, but you are almost finished. If you used Kalyway, you should install the kalyway virginizer, to uninstall all of the weird mods that kalyway made to the system, including the orange window background. You need to do this after installing everything, because it will remove the kext helper. Go here for the virginizer, and instructions on how to install it: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=77479 . If you installed iATKOS, go here for the virginizer: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry557228 .

Although there are still some problems with your system, this is the closest you can currently get to a perfect system. Here is what should currently working:

1. Both cores of your proccessor
  2. Internal Speakers
  3. Headphones
  4. Line-In (Microphone)
  5. Hardware Accelerated Graphics (with any resolution)
  6. Sleep (If you used Kalyway)
  7. Wireless Internet (If you have the Dell Wireless 1390, 1490, or 1500)
  8. Touchpad and Keyboard
  9. Correct recognition of all hardware in System Profiler (Except system model, Boot rom, and serial #)
  10. PCMCIA Card Slot
  11. CD/DVD Burning
  12. High speed hard drive access (w/ AHCI)

And here is what isn't working, or is not functioning perfectly:

1. Ethernet (Broadcom NetXtreme 5755m Gigabit Ethernet)
  2. Internal Microphone
  3. Correct measurement of CPU temperature and CPU fan RPM speed
  4. Battery Meter (Displays percent, but not time)
  5. System Shutdown (Reboot works OK, and this is caused by Taruga's AppleHDA Patcher Version 1.2)

Lastly, anyone who knows how to get ethernet working, or get anything else here that is currently only partially working fully working, please post it here. Also, tell me if these instructions work for you or not. After all that work, I hope you have fun with your new Hackintosh Installation :)

Ok. I was able to download the patches. However when I run the sudo dmesg | grep PC command I get the following:

Extension "com.apple.driver.ApplePCIConfigurator" has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi components; use only one style.

PCI configuration changed (BUS free=1 needed=1 added=0)PCI configuration changed (bridge=0 device=0 yenta=1)IOPCCardBridge::start failedGot boot device = IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/IDE0@1F,2/AppleIntelPIIXATARoot/PRI@0/AppleIntelICHxSATA/ATADeviceNub@0/AppleATADiskDriver/IOATABlockStorageDevice/IOBlockStorageDriver/Hitachi HTS721010G9SA00 Hitachi HTS721010G9SA00/IOFDiskPartitionScheme/Untitled 1@1

Has anyone seen this? Thanks again for all your help.

I've been trying to follow the instructions for the battery meter but I can't get the damn thing to work. With the addition of the battery meter does that mean my power management will start to work? I have a Dell Latitude D820. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

I've installed Leopard Kalyway 10.5.1 on my Dell Lattitude D830 (with GMAX3100 and Intel Pro 4965AGN) thanks to roneil4 tutorial, but I've got some problems... :(

Now, you can reboot, but not into your leopard installation. First, you need to get a livecd partition manager to set your leopard partition to boot. I recommend GParted for this job. [...]

I didn't make this part and I could boot on Leopard normaly.

Graphics:

For the GMAX3100, you need to download the zip archive here : http://rapidshare.com/files/90293323/GMAX3...l_D630.zip.html , named GMAX3100-Dell_D630.zip. This file contains the modified GMAX3100 kexts (made by errandwolfe), a script to run the sleepdisplay application, which I wrote, and the SleepDisplay application. First, drag the sleepdisplay folder onto the root of your Leopard install volume. If you double click the hard drive icon named after your install partition, it will take you to this location. Now, open the sleep display folder, and double click the file named sleepdisplayscript.app. This is only to get past the downloaded from the internet dialog that sometimes appears when getting apps off the internet. Now, open the system preferences application (the icon with gears on the dock) and select accounts. Now, select the main account, click login items, and click the plus icon. Browse to the root of your hard drive, open the sleepdisplay folder, select the sleepdisplayscript.app, and click add. You need to make sure that your system is set to login automatically for this to work, so from here click the lock in the bottom left corner of the window, type your password, and press enter. Next, click login options. Next to the automatic logon, select the account you added the login item to, and enter your password again. Now, open the application kexthelper. Go to the folder kexts, which was unzipped from the GMAX3100 archive earlier. Select all of the kext files, and click and drag them onto the white space in the kexthelper application. Then type your root password into the box, and click easy install. After it says cross your fingers and reboot, reboot your system. Now your graphics should be fully accelerated. To continue, skip over the next paragraph of text.

When I tried to double click on sleepdisplayscript.app, I get this message : "You can't open the application "SleepDisplayScript" because the Classic environment is no longer supported"... so I couldn't execute the script. but I tried to make the rest and when I rebooted, I've got a blue screen, black screen and that's it... (even with external screen plugs). I didn't know how to manage that, so I reinstalled Leopard :(

Currently I've only a low resolution (1024*768) instead of 1920*1200. (at least 1280 will be great ;) )

Battery

Now, to get your battery meter partially working (it will only tell you percent charge left) in kalyway follow all of the steps below. The battery meter should work out of the box on iATKOS. Download the attached zip file, named powermanagement.bundle.zip. Now unzip it. From the root of your leopard install partition, open the folder system, then library, then systemconfiguration. Drag the file powermanagement.bundle onto the trash icon in the dock. Now drag the powermanagement.bundle you unzipped earlier into the systemconfiguration folder. Now open terminal, and type "sudo diskutil repairPermissions /" then enter, then enter your root password, then press enter. Once this process is complete, reboot your system. After the first time you disconnect the laptop from power, the battery icon will be displayed in the menubar.

I did it, but when I'm disconnecting the laptop from power nothing happens, the battery icon dosen't appear...

Now it is time to get your sound card (sigmatel 9205) working. Download the attached zip archive, named sound_files.zip, and unzip it. Now, unzip the file applehdapatcherv1.20.app.zip. This is Taruga's applehdapatcher version 1.2. Now drag the text file codec_dump1.zip onto the turtle icon. Once the application opens, enter your root password, press enter, and it will begin patching your system. When it is finished, reboot your system. Now, unzip the file applehda.kext.zip. Open kexthelper, and drag the applehda.kext file onto the whitespace in the application. Enter your root password, and click easy install. When the install finishes, reboot your system, and your sound should be almost fully working! (Line-In, internal speakers, headphones, and automatic muting of speakers when headphones are plugged in all works, but muting with the mute button does not work). The kext was originally made by paulo-131, but I made a small modification to it so that it would work with my D630.

Works fine for me.

What is not working all:

- Wireless card: 4965AGN;

- Ethernet card: same as the D630;

If someone knows how to have these to work...

Thanks.

JumBay.

PS: sorry for my english

Hey.

At the start, you were saying you couldn't boot a D830 with the NVS 140M. I've successfully done it.

I'm using the original Kalyway 15.1 build, and am running it off an external hd. I didn't want to partition the whole disk, so I used a tool called combined_post_patch_v0.1. I followed its instructions, leaving the kernel and everything the same, only editing the MBR. And it worked perfect.

I also managed to install KalywayIntelCombo10.5.2 with no problems, as well as kalyway_10.5.2_kernels.mpkg.

Also used NVInstallerV.33.pkg and set the graphics at the standard 256 and they work decent.

Now I need to figure out sound and either ethernet or wireless for internet.

I'll take any suggestions as I'm a complete NOOB, but I do intend on tracking my method and helping others if I can.

Thanks

UPDATE:

Sounds works according to these directions.

Trying to find Nisa's kext file to try that for Broadcom 5755. Reports on osx86 scene forums of it working on a Broadcom 5751.

Also, any idea why I can't search the forums? It keeps giving me an error.

Thanks

Mark

I have not yet seen a successful kalyway installation on a laptop with the NVIDIA Quadro card, so this leads me to believe that this is the problem. I'll look into it further, so hang tight...

I've got almost perfect install of Kalyway 10.5.1 with EFI/GUID/Vanilla on my Dell D620 laptop (with nVidia Quadro NVS 110m).

The only reason i've had to move back to Vista is Broadcom NIC and power management (fans at full speed all the time - not good).

Everything else worked OK for me.

Ok. I was able to download the patches. However when I run the sudo dmesg | grep PC command I get the following:

Extension "com.apple.driver.ApplePCIConfigurator" has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi components; use only one style.

PCI configuration changed (BUS free=1 needed=1 added=0)PCI configuration changed (bridge=0 device=0 yenta=1)IOPCCardBridge::start failedGot boot device = IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/IDE0@1F,2/AppleIntelPIIXATARoot/PRI@0/AppleIntelICHxSATA/ATADeviceNub@0/AppleATADiskDriver/IOATABlockStorageDevice/IOBlockStorageDriver/Hitachi HTS721010G9SA00 Hitachi HTS721010G9SA00/IOFDiskPartitionScheme/Untitled 1@1

Has anyone seen this?

Thanks again for all your help.

Hello All.. I was able to resolve this issue. I now see when running the sudo dmesg|grep PC command:

pciBridgeAllocateResource(bus 1, state 3)

pciBridgeAllocateResource(bus 9, state 3)

pciBridgeAllocateResource(bus 12, state 3)

pciBridgeAllocateResource(bus 11, state 3)

pciBridgeAllocateResource(bus 2, state 3)

However, the software that is used to control the device I've installed doesn't see the device. I do see the pcmcia device on the tool bar and the device now lights up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

IBBigPoppa

Hey so i tried to update my d630 w/ the x3100 to 10.5.2 using kalyway's package (the update and the new kernals). I then proceeded to update my graphic card kext's to the ones provided on this topic (which worked in 10.5.1). I rebooted and the screen went black and rebooted when it got to the login screen...Any ideas how to update it to .2?

Hi guys, just got a new D630 and install Leopard quite well. Except my wireless is not working? Doesnt come up at all. Has anyone got their network card working yet? I used the Kalyway ISO. If anyone can shed some light or point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. This is the first mac/hack I have used so I am still learning. :)

To everyone with Network and Wireless woes....

If you check out the "Drivers" forum on this site, you'll be quick to realize that the Broadcom 57xx driver is under development, but still a ways off. (Apparently its a trial and error driver build). As for the Intel wireless card, no luck on that either.

BUT, the dell 1390 Wireless card apparently works perfect out of the box, and you can get them for $30 from dell, cheaper in other places.

My question though; and I'll post my answer once I find out; can I install 2 wireless cards and disable one of them through the Windows hardware manager? Or can I get the Dell 1390 as a PCMIA card? (I need to be using XP Pro for my school stuff, and I don't want to switch completely from the Intel wireless to the Dell wireless - not as good and troubles connecting to certain routers). I'm talking with dell about it now, but haven't heard back from them.

I'll keep you all posted.

anyone tested the new shutdown kernel by toh on d630?

another problem for me... the screen lock not work for me, don't ask password.

if anyone wont make "O2Micro OZ711EZ1 Cardbus Controller" working, install the Chun-Nan patched files(v8 is out):

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=81036

tnx Chun-Nan for the work and EqUaTe for the link ;)

i install this and driver for my dLink cardbus ethernet adapter, works very well!!!!

@roneil4

if you want update the first post.. :)

bye

theSLug

I got OSx Fully installed working More or less perfect,

However I was wondering if there was

A.) a way to enable taping on the touch pad?

B.) Switch ALT and CTRL on the keyboard map ... (For Windows like shortcuts instead of ALT+C and ALT+V)

Thanks guys.

I configured my D830 as a powerhouse under Windows and networking is a key feature for me. I've given up for now. Without built in Wireless, (Intel), I have a pretty package, but useless for my purposes.

I'm hoping the newly releases Penryn based Macbooks have the newer Intel Wireless chipsets and will be supported soon natively so I can try again.

It was fun tinkering though. Good luck to all.

anyone tested the new shutdown kernel by toh on d630?....

Didn't know there was a new shutdown kernal...where do i get it and what's it called? Is it supposed to fix sleep? I'll try it this weekend if someone will tell me.

Does anyone know how to get that displaysleep app to start before the login screen so i can require a password to login for the initial boot?

thanks

There is a 9.2.0 kernel from Netkas that should solve shutdown/reboot issues. I downloaded it yesterday, tried it, but no difference... netkas.org tells you where to get it.

The reason it didn't fix anything for me might be related to my specific hardware (Latitude D830). As soon as I get the Quadro NVS hardware accelerated, shutdown and reboot fails. I've worked on iATKOS before, that didn't have sleep support. Yesterday I tried Kalyway, that is supposed to have sleep, but not on my rig. Other Dell's have succeeded. Either their owners have done something that made it work, but neglected to post te solution, or my D830 just isn't too 'common' enough for Leopard. I think the latter is the real reason why some things just don't work, like the integrated Broadcom NIC. The ACPI stuff in the D830 might not fit with the sleep capabilities. I don't know about the D630, but since they don't seem to differ that much, probably the same issue. I guess this is a minor downside on running OS X, your hardware better not be too new :o

Anyone updates their D630 to 10.5.2 Kalyway? if so can you provide a list of steps please?

Yes i did. It's very difficult...

Step 1: 'obtain kalyway 10.5.2 patch"

Step 2: extract

Step 3: Double click install icon

Step 4: click next

If you don't understand these directions, your IQ might be less than my dogs.

It doesn't update any kext's so you should be fine.

sorry about my sarcasm :(