Install Guide For Dell Latitude D630 and D830

roneil4

957 posts in this topic

Hmmm -- i have a bit new information from post #544; Firewire works on EVERYTHING except capture. I can mount firewire drives, I can even output a DV signal to a video camera and see the footage play on my camcorder - but to try to capture from it, I see nothing. I've done all the pieces as indicated previously, but to no advantage. I'm so close but haven't heard if anyone has gotten this to work.

I'll buy someone pizza if they can get me up and running with firewire capture.

I looked through all 27 pages of messages here... Got OS-X working fabulously on my d630 using iAtkos v4 and the mod details listed here... thanks so much folks, it works great. The one thing that works, but doesn't seem to behave properly is firewire capture.

I can see the firewire card, it all looks right, detects when I plug a camera, but when I go to capture from the camera -- final cut and others don't receive data. I do the usual official fixes for this, trashing fcp prefs and reinstalling quicktime, but it just doesn't seem to work. Has anyone got the firewire capture on a d630 working and if so, what did they end up having to do?

Thanks!

- Nick

What follows is an attempt to update users on the current state of things with regards to the D630 ONLY, as that's the laptop I have. This is going to be very condensed compared to the original post, but hopefully should be enough for most users to be able to install OS X successfully. This is also so that if (when) I have to do this again, I can remember properly and not spend a week installing and reformatting.

[snip]

Hi KirbySaysHi,

Your guide was an EXCELLENT roundup .. Unfortunately none of your links worked as they were truncated with "..." in the middle of them. Could you possibly fix these? I have a D630 just like yours and I'm eager to get it multibooting correctly...

Thanks!

DANGER WILL ROBINSON.. OK so .. KirbySaysHi i have a similar computer to yours in fact identical apart from the wifi card (I have the intel :( )

I've tried this twice now and had an epic failure when upgrading to 10.5.5. It gets about half way thru writing files and then the system freezes...When I reboot the last line in a -v I get - no matter what - is:

Extension "com.apple.driver.iTunesPhoneDriver" has no explicit kernel dependency; using version 6.0.

I also noticed this time around that the while; rm command you've got lsted above really should be run as root - type su and enter your password first so. I noticed when the file was written and my 'script' attempted to delete it couldnt since it didnt have permissions.

Not sure what to do now (apart from giving up and buying a Macbook :( )

@KirbySaysHi

I have successfuly installed the iAtkos dvd, and the graphic kexts, but in my browser the links you've posted are truncated, so i cant download for ethernet and sound.

Could you please post them again

Thanx

Hi KirbySaysHi,

Your guide was an EXCELLENT roundup .. Unfortunately none of your links worked as they were truncated with "..." in the middle of them. Could you possibly fix these? I have a D630 just like yours and I'm eager to get it multibooting correctly...

Thanks!

@KirbySaysHi

I have successfuly installed the iAtkos dvd, and the graphic kexts, but in my browser the links you've posted are truncated, so i cant download for ethernet and sound.

Could you please post them again

Thanx

Sorry about all that guys! Thanks for reading. Stupid link truncation...

DANGER WILL ROBINSON.. OK so .. KirbySaysHi i have a similar computer to yours in fact identical apart from the wifi card (I have the intel :) )

I've tried this twice now and had an epic failure when upgrading to 10.5.5. It gets about half way thru writing files and then the system freezes...When I reboot the last line in a -v I get - no matter what - is:

Extension "com.apple.driver.iTunesPhoneDriver" has no explicit kernel dependency; using version 6.0.

I also noticed this time around that the while; rm command you've got lsted above really should be run as root - type su and enter your password first so. I noticed when the file was written and my 'script' attempted to delete it couldnt since it didnt have permissions.

Not sure what to do now (apart from giving up and buying a Macbook :D )

BoxDog, I've made significant changes to the guide, which is posted below. I discovered a new way of doing things that makes it a lot easier. Hopefully, it will work for you too! And thanks for the comment on the rm command. I was doing it, but forgot to put it in there...

To the guide!

----------------

Well, it all started with Adobe Creative Suite 4. I wanted the new version of flash. So, I tried installing it onto my D630. Wow, did it not like it. The installer would say it had installed everything, but in reality did not. You could go into the Flash folder, for example, and see literally only half the files that were supposed to be there. Photoshop installed, but complained about missing files.

I assumed it had something to do with me uninstalling CS3 before starting (small hard drive), and decided that I had to start with a fresh installation of Leopard. I've had Leopard on this laptop for about six months now, with very little issues except for the usual (finicky sleep, shutdown hang, etc).

Apparently, I forgot how precise an installation needs to be to get everything to work properly (it also turns out that it had nothing to do with CS3; bad CS4 disc image! Don't transfer a disc image to OS X using an NTFS USB drive...).

What follows is an attempt to update users on the current state of things with regards to the D630 ONLY, as that's the laptop I have. This is going to be very condensed compared to the original post, but hopefully should be enough for most users to be able to install OS X successfully. This is also so that if (when) I have to do this again, I can remember properly and not spend a week installing and reformatting.

My Laptop's Specs:

Dell D630

CPU: Core 2 Duo 2GHz

RAM: 2 GB

Sound Card: Sigmatel 9205

Graphics: Intel GMAX3100

Bluetooth: none internal (but the dlink usb dongle recommended by Apple works really well)

This laptop is fairly barebones hardware-wise, since it's a work computer.

Let's get started!

PART 1: THE DOWNLOADS

I've tried Kalyway and iATKOS, and have only ever had success with iATKOS v4 (10.5.4). So go grab that from... somewhere. Probably involving the color green. With these downloads, I'll try to link to the download itself and the post it originated from. This is a big pet peeve of mine, since there are a lot of guides out there that say, "Download this and this," and don't tell you where they came from, or who made them.

~ Kext Helper ~

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/26865/kext-helper

~ Graphics ~

http://rapidshare.com/files/125517121/GMAX..._Files.zip.html

I don't know where these came from, unfortunately, but you only need the SleepDisplay stuff, which I believe was made by Roneil4.

~ Sleep Fix ~

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=24155

nor this one...

~ Sound Card ~

(newest AppleHDA.kext from theSlug = everything works: Original Post) http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=963456

(Patcher and original HDA, codec) http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=21750

~ Wired Ethernet ~

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=34636

(my post) http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...&pid=916872

~ PCMCIA ~

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=24153

(original post) http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...6&hl=PCMCIA

~ 10.5.5 Combo Update ~

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/mac...omboupdate.html

~ Power Management ~

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=34294

~ Bike Town Patch ~

(original thread)http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=109102

PART 2: BIOS

I've installed OS X twice successfully on my laptop, and I believe that both times I had to DISABLE SATA AHCI mode in the bios. I believe that later I installed a kext that allowed me to enable AHCI. If anyone knows what/where that is, let me know!

So disable SATA AHCI! It may complain that you need to disable the Flash Cache Module; do so as well.

PART 3: INSTALL

Boot the iATKOS DVD, using the -v flag.

Use Disk Utility to format your hard drive. Use GPT, unless you plan on dual booting Windows XP, since I don't believe it likes that. Also make sure you DO NOT USE SPACES when naming your partition. Click though the install screens, and click Customize. Choose the first three packages: iATKOS main system, Darwin Bootloader, and Stock Files. Click Continue and Install. When you get to the screen that says "congratulations...", click on Utilities > Terminal. Type the following into the terminal and hit ENTER:

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntel*

This deletes all the original GMAX (graphics kexts) files. If you want to double check yourself to make sure before you delete, type the * and hit TAB. A list of the files to be deleted will be shown; it should match what's listed in the original post. (7-8 files, I believe). If you do not delete these files, you will not arrive at a desktop. EVER. Now reboot, either by typing "reboot" into the terminal, or by closing terminal and clicking the "Reboot" button.

PART 4: CROSS FINGERS

You might want to type in -v at the boot prompt. I almost always do. Hopefully you get to something graphical. Click through all the registration and setup screens. At this point you should be at the desktop, but without hardware acceleration and proper LCD resolution. You will have wireless. You won't have a battery meter yet. Soon...

PART 5: SLEEP TRICK

Behold the mighty sleep trick! As far as I know, the sleep trick is basically a way to firmly make OS X use a non-standard graphics driver. Typically, we use Natit to inject the driver into OS X, but then to actually activate it, we sleep the display and bring it out. OS X uses the drivers, and everybody's happy. Keep in mind two things: that we haven't installed any graphics drivers yet (those are going to come from the 10.5.5 update) and that we're NOT going to use Natit, or any other injector (unlike what is stated in the first post in this thread).

Put the SleepDisplay folder somewhere... I use the Applications folder. Inside the SleepDisplay folder, double click each of the files (the script and application) to get past the "Are you sure you want to open this file from the internet prompt". If you do not do this, the scripts will never run, and you will never see your desktop!

Go to System Preferences, Accounts. Activate automatic login, and add the SleepDisplayScript (not .app) to the Login Items for your username.

PART 6: BIKE TOWN PRE-PATCH FOR 10.5.5

Just the other day I stumbled across the amazing and useful "Bike Town" updater. It's awesomeness is completely unquantifiable (ha, awesomeness is a word according to Safari). And it's easy. Download it from the thread link above (I know the thread is a little claustrophobic, but the link is in there). It comes with three files: a pre-patch, a pre-patch for nVidia CHIPSETS, and a post-patch. Run the standard (not nVidia) pre-patch now.

This patch gets your system ready for 10.5.5, and will prepare any system from 10.5.1 and up for upgrade.

PART 7: 10.5.5 COMBO UPDATE

After the pre-patch has completed, run the combo update you downloaded from Apple. DO NOT RESTART. Also, previously, you would have had to run a terminal script to prevent the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement kext from getting copied. This is not necessary with the patch. When the combo update gets to the last success screen...

PART 8: BIKE TOWN POST-PATCH

Run the Bike Town Post-Patch, with the combo installer still sitting at the final screen. The post-patch allows us to customize the installation for our particular system, in that we get to choose to install new kexts, use stock kexts, or restore our kexts we used originally (all the backups are stored in /backupkexts_prior_10_5_5combo).

CHECK only the following from the customize menu:

ICHX-AHCI JMICRON in Chipset

MacBook AppleSMBIOS in System

UNCHECK

AppleACPI-AppleAPIC in System (this is for older PCs)

Do not check anything else (dsmos will be checked regardless), even if you are tempted! Install the post-patch, and when it is finished, click REBOOT on the combo update.

PART 9: RESET SATA TO AHCI

Since we checked the ICHX-AHCI in the post-patch, we need to set our bios so that the hard drive is in AHCI mode. Otherwise, you'll get some weird errors. Go into bios, and set SATA to AHCI.

OS X will reboot twice when updating from anything to 10.5.5 (you'll want to always boot with -v to see what's going on). I changed the AHCI setting on the second boot, that is, after the inital restart (when I went, oh {censored}, I forgot to switch the bios), when OS X sits for awhile, then restarts itself (here). It shouldn't matter too much, but if you get something weird, try booting with a -f.

PART 10: CROSS FINGERS AND HOLD NUMEROUS RABBIT FEET

After the second boot, you should see a blue screen for a moment, then your monitor will go dark. Wait for at least 5 minutes before all hope is lost. If you don't get a desktop after waiting awhile, push CMD + SPACE and type in "SleepDisplay" and push ENTER. Notice how you need to wait for the desktop to appear... this is because of the sleep trick. Also notice, we didn't mess with any graphics drivers! 10.5.5 took care of it automatically. Yay!

If you didn't get to an actual desktop, wait. Sometimes it just takes awhile, especially on the first boot. Also, you can try rebooting (hard reset, after waiting) and booting with -f -v to see what's going on, and to make sure it uses the newest kexts.

PART 11: SLEEP FIX

This is unrelated to the "sleep trick" mentioned above. This fixes sleep mode so that if your computer goes to sleep... it has a pretty good chance of staying asleep. Without this step, the computer will just shutdown erratically if you try to sleep it (go ahead, try if you don't believe me!). Grab the sleep fix file from above, and install the kexts it contains with kext helper.

NOTE: I did not need to do this to make my sleeping work after using the Bike Town post-patch, only before. It is here in case someone wants to try. Sleep is finicky on these machines, especially once sound support is there, but my computer does go to sleep with the same possibility it had on my previous successful install. So if you can, avoid these (just because I like to keep as much vanilla stuff as possible).

PART 12: SOUND

Grab the sound files from above, open, unzip everything, drag the codec text file onto the patcher. If you get a kernel panic, just hard reset. Reboot with -v and -f. Now, install the NEWEST AppleHDA.kext (the separate download, not the one that comes with the patcher) using kext helper. Reboot. Yay for sound! Everything sound related should now work (thanks to theSlug), with the exception of being able to control your microphone gain. Also, you may occasionally get kernel panics when you shutdown due to the AppleHDA controller. This is normal. The AppleHDA controller also will prevent sleep from occurring often... nothing bad happens, but your computer will try to sleep, and then quickly wake up again.

PART 13: ETHERNET

Umm... I don't use this, because it adds a bunch of time to the sleep/wake process, but I keep the kext on hand in case I have to activate the ethernet jack. Install it using kext helper, and you've got ethernet. Delete it from the /System/Library/Extensions folder and it'll be deactivated.

PART 14: PCMCIA

Install the chun-nan kext using kext helper.

PART 15: POWER MANAGEMENT

After installing 10.5.5, our battery meter will now be missing. Dang. Install the power management download. It doesn't seem as good a before, but it will work. Reboot. Yay.

PART 16: HACK THOSE BOOT FLAGS

Perhaps we should have done this earlier, but why not now? I always enable debug mode for kernel panics, so that if one happens, I see where the error is. Here is also where you would want to decide to have boot graphics or verbose mode.

Open Terminal. Type:

sudo pico /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

Make it look like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
       <key>Kernel</key>
       <string>mach_kernel</string>
       <key>Kernel Flags</key>
       <string>[b]debug=0x100[/b]</string>
       <key>Boot Graphics</key>
       <string>Yes</string>
       <key>Quiet Boot</key>
       <string>No</string>
       <key>Timeout</key>
       <string>5</string>
</dict>
</plist>

If you want to enable verbose mode (the equivalent of typing -v at the boot prompt), then add a -v after debug=0x100:

debug=0x100 -v

You can add in any other boot flags you want here as well. When you're done, push CTRL + O to write (save) the changes, then CTRL + X to eXit. The changes will happen the next time you reboot.

PART 17: HUG THE WEIGHTED COMPANION CUBE IN CELEBRATION

You should be rockin' now. Let me know if I missed something, or if someone has a better way of doing it.

PART 10: CROSS FINGERS AND HOLD NUMEROUS RABBIT FEET
After the second boot, you should see a blue screen for a moment, then your monitor will go dark. Wait for at least 5 minutes before all hope is lost. If you don't get a desktop after waiting awhile, push CMD + SPACE and type in "SleepDisplay" and push ENTER. Notice how you need to wait for the desktop to appear... this is because of the sleep trick. Also notice, we didn't mess with any graphics drivers! 10.5.5 took care of it automatically. Yay!

If you didn't get to an actual desktop, wait. Sometimes it just takes awhile, especially on the first boot. Also, you can try rebooting (hard reset, after waiting) and booting with -f -v to see what's going on, and to make sure it uses the newest kexts.

At this step I cant get desktop. It acts as you wrote, but i just get a black screen in high resolution and a mouse pointer. This happend after the update. Before update i had video working right :)

When i deleted the AppleIntel kexts from Extensions folder i could get to desktop. then when i reinstalled gmax3100 kexts, again i got the same black screen with only mouse pointer. Also i never got the sound working... I have a Latitude D630 E

Can somebody help me please?

RE: PART 8: BIKE TOWN POST-PATCH

Does anyone know if this (which looks interesting) would work on a system that has the 10.5.5 combo update already applied?

I ask because I've been keeping an eye on this thread for more goodies like the Ethernet adapter kext someone posted recently. I'd already updated to 10.5.5 by the time that showed up. So I've learned to keep an eye out here to see if anymore good stuff shows up ;)

I am running into a different issue. The desktop would come up but the keyboard and trackpad would not respond. It looks like I got the higher resolution at this point. If I press the power button, the menu to restart, shutdown, comes up. No errors on bootup using -V option. Has anybody seen this scenario and also a solution?

D630

2.0ghz Core 2 Duo

GMA950

Intel 1390 Wireless

Sigmatel 9205

Hi there,

sleep works perfect for me when I start without a power cord attached. But when I detach the power cord it goes to sleep an wakes up immediately after sleep. I compared kextstat before and after I unplugged the power cord and there was no difference. I tried it with vanilla AppleACPIPlatform.kext and PowerManagement.bundle as well as with the mentioned modified extensions but with both I get the same result.

I use the system with platform=ACPI. So I'm pretty sure I ruled every other possibility out. It is defenitely the action "plug in power cord". So there has to be some change in the ACPI system which prevents the notebook from sleep. Once again, if I start without power cord sleep works pefect.

I would love to get some response to this problem.

Bye.

At this step I cant get desktop. It acts as you wrote, but i just get a black screen in high resolution and a mouse pointer. This happend after the update. Before update i had video working right :|

When i deleted the AppleIntel kexts from Extensions folder i could get to desktop. then when i reinstalled gmax3100 kexts, again i got the same black screen with only mouse pointer. Also i never got the sound working... I have a Latitude D630 E

Can somebody help me please?

I had this happen to me as well during my install trials, usually stemming from using kexts that I didn't know the origin of... which kexts are you using? Do you have an X3100? I would try opening up the combo patch in Pacifist, extract the intel graphics kexts, and try installing them.

And actually, are you sure that you have the sleep trick working properly (the script)?

And what's a D630 "E"?

RE: PART 8: BIKE TOWN POST-PATCH

Does anyone know if this (which looks interesting) would work on a system that has the 10.5.5 combo update already applied?

I ask because I've been keeping an eye on this thread for more goodies like the Ethernet adapter kext someone posted recently. I'd already updated to 10.5.5 by the time that showed up. So I've learned to keep an eye out here to see if anymore good stuff shows up ;)

It depends on what you want it for. I'm not sure of exactly what the post-patch does, but a large part of it is dependent on you backing up your extensions with the pre-patch. But it also contains some kexts... like the ones that I mention you should check above. Try extracting them from the patch using pacifist, and install them if you want them.

I am running into a different issue. The desktop would come up but the keyboard and trackpad would not respond. It looks like I got the higher resolution at this point. If I press the power button, the menu to restart, shutdown, comes up. No errors on bootup using -V option. Has anybody seen this scenario and also a solution?

D630

2.0ghz Core 2 Duo

GMA950

Intel 1390 Wireless

Sigmatel 9205

I had this when I installed iAtkos 10.5.4 and updated to 10.5.5 using the combo update.

I decided to reinstall the system and not update...

FINALLLLLY!!!!!

D630 internal MIC WORKING!!!

my kext based on XBC (mute working/2input) kext! :blink:

@Kirby

UPDATE YOUR GUIDE NOW!!! :wacko:

Wow so now everything soundwise works? Thats great! I am going to update the guide this weekend.

Wow so now everything soundwise works? Thats great! I am going to update the guide this weekend.

roneil4, feel free to use any part of my reposted guide summary...

and my guide summary has been updated with this new microphone kext development! Great work, slug!

@Krypto: I am using your NVkush.kext and it gives me the best results so far (actually, no other solution gives me CI/QE). However, I still have a problem: my system "thinks" that I have an external monitor even if I don't. The problem is that my desktop area is much larger than I can see, creating a black hole of desktop area.

How can I edit the NVCap values to REMOVE dual monitor (I currently have "Display" and "VGA Display" and want to remove the "VGA Display").

My setup:

Dell D630

iAtkos 10.5.4

Core 2 Duo 2GHz

2 GB RAM

NV 135 - 128MB (10de:042b)

NVKush.kext

Any help is much appreciated!

monsieur , please follow the below steps

NvKush Installer :

http://diabolik1605.com/DHF/

Just install NVKUSH Installer

Restart the system

This should give you the default NVCap value with only "Display" support and no external VGA.

For those of you with working D830 installations what boot flags did you use? What Bios revision is installed? I'm trying to install Iatkos v4.1i on a D830(Nvidia,Broadcom,Intell) but keep getting stuck at a grey screen with a spinning wheel. I've been using "cpus=1" and bios revision A12.

I tried the nvkush kext installer and nvkush installer on my dell m4300 with quadro fx 360, but no luck. i get a black login picture and only see my mousecursor.

after i replace all geforce*kext and nv* kext and also the opengl framework, i get my picture back but all works now without qe.

i had a working version this morning but i want to use an external monitor. so now all graphic support is broken.

i use now nvdarwin.kext

has anybody an idea which components i should mod to get external and internal monitor working? what is nvcap? can i get fullsupport my graphiccard with EFI?

I'm not sure if this has been addressed above, but you can get speedstep working with the vanilla kernel.

http://code.google.com/p/xnu-speedstep/

I used that, and it works flawlessly (d630, kalyway updated to 10.5.4), sleep is maintained, and cpu throttling works as it should.

Just thought I'd add in a 'works for me too' to this thread. D830, no sleep but I've got the nVidia 135m so never had sleep. But now I can have my laptop running there doing mostly nothing and it doesn't get hot with the fan on high like it used to. I'm almost to the point where I'm willing to use OS X vs Windows as my daily setup.

If only I could get DVI output to work. At least in Windows there is a noticeable difference in how clean text looks between DVI and VGA.

Yes i have x3100 not nvidia....

As to my knowledge there are different versions of d630. Different wifi, some with bluetooth, some without.

My model has internal bluetooth and it works out of the box.

And as i said, gfx card was installed correctly, i was following instructions from your guide, using iatkos v4i. But after update it wont work. I found a thread on this forum, for post update issues, and many people has the same problem. They say it has something to do with AppleIntelGMAX3100FB or AppleIntegratedFB... if i fix this, i'll post the solution here.

Maybe someone can post the working kexts from the 10.5.5 update. I also found out that the gmax3100 bundle files are of newer versions in the combo update.

Keep up the good work

i have noticed that this time around, my graphics seem a little sluggish, especially compared to my girlfriend's macbook with tiger (and the gma 950). So perhaps there's something that magically worked with mine that I just don't know about.... I really don't understand why it's so difficult to get our graphics cards to work when the real macbooks have these same things in them.

i have noticed that this time around, my graphics seem a little sluggish, especially compared to my girlfriend's macbook with tiger (and the gma 950). So perhaps there's something that magically worked with mine that I just don't know about.... I really don't understand why it's so difficult to get our graphics cards to work when the real macbooks have these same things in them.

Ok, that is cool. I have a D630 with GMAX3100 and I have "hardware acceleration" enabled but I always thought my graphics are still really slow compared to a MacBook my colleague owns. I means everything works ok, even screensavers and itunes visualization work fast but almost all windows are really sluggish when i try to resize or move them.

Could you post the link to the extensions you are using?

Thanks.

After pressing f8 and typing in vanilla and pressing enter, a few seconds of loading then stops 3/4ths way down the page with last few lines reading

Extention "com.apple.driver.ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin" has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi components; use only one style.

IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 0:23

what does this mean? we also have problem of not detecting HD when in ahci mode and trying to install Windows