Install Guide For Dell Latitude D630 and D830

roneil4

957 posts in this topic

Hi All,

finally I managed to install iAtkos 4i onto my Dell D630 following Roneils guide. The only thing I still miss is the QE/CI support, my X3100 has the right resolution (1440x900) but in sw mode. I tried to use Errandwolfe's com.apple.boot.plist with his hex string and his Natit.kext but the issue still persists. My Dev ID for the VGA card is 0x202a and everything else works well. Does anybody have any idea which might help me? Any help is much appreciated.

cheers,

JF

I don't know how up to date those files are, I haven't changed them for a while. Try looking a couple pages back for some posts with other kexts.

Roneil thanks for your reply.

Can I ask you or anyone which Kalyway disc you actually used to install?

I've tried 10.5.1 and 10.5.2 and neither of them want to boot at all.

I can't find a whole Kalyway 10.5.3 or 4 and thus can't try it.

Nothing on the 'bay or the 'noid as far as I can tell.

Can people tell me which actual discs they used (without giving me links, clearly)

or if you take pity---

diziet_sma99 @ yahoo .co .uk

Thanks guys,

Diz

Diziet_hack,

for me, iAtkos v4i worked pretty well (I only miss QE/CI now but I am working on it), basically everything can be done as Roneil wrote in his guide.

Sounds good - I will try that again.

Did you have to use any boot switches (-x or -a or something) to get iAtkos v4i to boot from the DVD?

And you followed the guide precisely? As in everything, leaving nothing out?

Thanks!

Diz

UPDATE:

iAtkos 4.0 won't work for me. I followed the installtion as closely as I could (there's no Vanilla kernel option in my Customise options)= and when it tries to boot for the first time, it just hangs on the grey screen.

Which specific iAtkos did people use?

Thanks

Sounds good - I will try that again.

Did you have to use any boot switches (-x or -a or something) to get iAtkos v4i to boot from the DVD?

And you followed the guide precisely? As in everything, leaving nothing out?

I did everything as suggested, except when the install finished, I got no countdown but the system just restarted itself. Right after that I booted with -s (single user mode, kinda like terminal) and deleted the mentioned kexts. And at the VGA install section, I could not use the script, OSX said I cannot use that because the Classic environment is no longer supported, whatever it is :) So I used the .app file which was just beside the script, I put it to the login elements as suggested and it was OK.

UPDATE:

iAtkos 4.0 won't work for me. I followed the installtion as closely as I could (there's no Vanilla kernel option in my Customise options)= and when it tries to boot for the first time, it just hangs on the grey screen.

Which specific iAtkos did people use?

Thanks

For me, when I started the whole install thing, I had not have to use any switches. If your laptop hangs, try -x, it is safe mode. You will find no such thing as Vanilla kernel, try installing the stock kernel, you can select it in Stock section when clicking Customize. Again, do not select GMA X3100 drivers in Customize!

After installed the Stock kernel and the PowerBundle as said in the guide, I no longer had to use -x boot flag and my OS X works flawlessly since then (except the freakin' QE/CI).

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

JF

for the 10.5.5 x3100 kext, look my previus post JF

Sorry, this is a bit confusing for me. Are you saying I have to install the 10.5.5 update and the kexts for that version? Because I use 10.5.4 at the moment, the drivers included in the guide in post#1, Errandwolfe's Natit.kext and the sleep trick which is in the guide as well. My res is OK (its 1440x900), all I miss is QE/CI (System Profiler says it is not supported and CI is in Software).

Cheers,

JF

I believe you can install extra languages from a vanilla leopard install disc, but I am not sure about how to do this.

From my original leopard install DVD (I've also a real mac). I went to DVD system/Installations/Packages and choosed french.pkg and I was done. So simple. I did that from the terminal as The system folder is hidden by the Finder.

I used iATKOS 4.0i. I got the install to load with AHCI enabled and Flash Cache enabled as well I believe. I had to switch back to ATA with Flash Cache disabled to get it to boot though. On the install I used the direct install with no customizations. I played around with a few but the best was to install as "vanilla" as possible. I installed everything else later, including video. I am running the nVidia Quadro card and used a default 256mb nVidia driver and I have QI/CE enabled. Kalyway would not boot and either would iDeneb. I got drivers from macgirl ,I believe, that were useful for software update. I will give any help I can with an install.

I used iATKOS 4.0i. I got the install to load with AHCI enabled and Flash Cache enabled as well I believe. I had to switch back to ATA with Flash Cache disabled to get it to boot though. On the install I used the direct install with no customizations. I played around with a few but the best was to install as "vanilla" as possible. I installed everything else later, including video. I am running the nVidia Quadro card and used a default 256mb nVidia driver and I have QI/CE enabled. Kalyway would not boot and either would iDeneb. I got drivers from macgirl ,I believe, that were useful for software update. I will give any help I can with an install.

hi johnnietech, I used to have the same AHCI problem like you.. but then when I reinstalled I chose the SATA driver in the customizations settings and voila! my leopard runs in AHCI mode now... good luck!

cheers.. :(

If you check my sig I have a D630 with NV gpu also. I did not select any video options from the iATKOS disc since none of them worked, I installed vid later using nVinjector .21. BTW your gpu really has 128MB vram dedicated, the other 128 is shared so I used the 128mb vram install.

For anyone with D630 and NV gpu, skip the vid driver part of a disc installation, just install it later on imo.

BTW does any other NV gpu owner here have poor GPU performance? I have res-change / QE / CI but desktop effects are choppy still. I have another post about this (probably in a dead thread). These GPUs like to clock down to save energy, and I'm wondering if they simply perma clock down in OSX. I've experienced this in Ubuntu but after a few seconds of 3d effects the GPU clock (and vram) jump up. Anyone know how you check GPU/vram clock?

Hi.

I have a D630 Working with 10.5.4 thanks to "Install Guide For Dell Latitutde D630" first Post.

Everithing is working (the display tip, network and sound).

But at the moment i make a shutdown, the led of power dont shut down.

Theres a powermanagement k. for this?

Does anyone here run Final Cut 6 pro without problem?

Thanks dudes.

fz

If you check my sig I have a D630 with NV gpu also. I did not select any video options from the iATKOS disc since none of them worked, I installed vid later using nVinjector .21. BTW your gpu really has 128MB vram dedicated, the other 128 is shared so I used the 128mb vram install.

For anyone with D630 and NV gpu, skip the vid driver part of a disc installation, just install it later on imo.

BTW does any other NV gpu owner here have poor GPU performance? I have res-change / QE / CI but desktop effects are choppy still. I have another post about this (probably in a dead thread). These GPUs like to clock down to save energy, and I'm wondering if they simply perma clock down in OSX. I've experienced this in Ubuntu but after a few seconds of 3d effects the GPU clock (and vram) jump up. Anyone know how you check GPU/vram clock?

Try sleeping and then waking your display. And if that doesn't work, put the computer to sleep (fn+esc), and then wake it up. I heard this helps gfx performance for some people with this card. I forget where though...

Hi.

I have a D630 Working with 10.5.4 thanks to "Install Guide For Dell Latitutde D630" first Post.

Everithing is working (the display tip, network and sound).

But at the moment i make a shutdown, the led of power dont shut down.

Theres a powermanagement k. for this?

Does anyone here run Final Cut 6 pro without problem?

Thanks dudes.

fz

Because of the sound driver, os x cannot fully shut down these computers. What os x can do though is halt the hard drive, and everything else. At this point, its safe to hold the power button down, and force the computer to turn off. If you don't feel safe doing that, you can reboot, becuase os x can successfuly reboot, and then go into the bios and shutdown from there.

Thanks for this Guide , It was very useful.

I Have a Dell D630 with Nvidia Quadro 135 GPU.

I Used iTKOS v4.1i to install OSX 10.5.4 .

Installed , the Audio PCMCIA cards by following the instructions in the first post.

Installed the NVIDIA drivers using NVINSTALLER (http://scottdangel.com/blog/?page_id=20 , used version NVinstaller v.51 and selected 128 MB , now I have full Graphics support including QE/CI)

Installed the Ethernet drivers (Broadcom NetXtreme 5755m Gigabit Ethernet) from : http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=34636

What I dont have working is the Intel Wireless , Shutdown , Reboot.

I also cant get the display on my external monitor... any one know how this is done?

Thanks for this Guide , It was very useful.

I Have a Dell D630 with Nvidia Quadro 135 GPU.

What I dont have working is the Intel Wireless , Shutdown , Reboot.

I also cant get the display on my external monitor... any one know how this is done?

I have the D830 with the NVS 135M GPU. I found NVKush to work much better than any version of the other available options like NVinject, etc. It enabled me to run docked (somewhat like having an external monitor) with QE/CI on my 22" display in its native 1680x1050 32 bit mode. Check back through this thread for a pointer to where to get KVKush and give that a try. If you need help with the proper value for the display info for the kext there is another thread on setting them properly here but I don't remember where exactly or I'd include a pointer.

Re: Intel Wireless: Seems there isn't going to be much of a chance of ever getting a solution. But you can get the Dell 1390 card for less than 20 bucks delivered (to the US) on eBay and that works right out of the box, i.e., just install and it'll work. The install is really simple and the Dell support site has a HTML based manual with pictures showing exactly how to install the card. You can either replace the Intel card or install the Dell card in the WLAN spot (assuming you don't have a WLAN card) and both will be available for use with Windows (XP or Vista 32bit) and OS X will use just the Dell card. This is how I have my machine setup.

Re: Shutdown: Won't work, the sound driver patch interferes. But if you choose shutdown your hackintosh will stop the HD and once that occurs it is safe to just hold the power button down and force the laptop to shutdown.

Re: Restart: Should work, don't know why it doesn't for you. My base install was done exactly as the first posting in this thread using Kalloway and an update to 10.5.3 (the most recent at that time) and I've since safely updated to 10.5.4 then to 10.5.5

Thanks bsoplinger. I guess i have no choice but to get the dell wireless card.

Will be working on getting NVKUSH working on mysetup as well.

What about updates? Can I just use the online update from apple and update to 10.5.5?

Mute working w/ automatic headphone detection - no internal mic

I believe there is a kext that enables everything for the d830. Its in this thread: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...77926&st=80

The d630 has some differences in its sound system or something though, because the same kext doesn't work for it. Look on the page after the one that link takes you to.

This new kext is great for d630 users though! It works well for me.

Hello everybody! I'm a totally beginner when it comes to OSX86, so have patience with me. :thumbsup_anim:

Very well. Does anyone have a boot-1-3-2 .ISO that will definetelly work with the D630 to share? Am trying to get Leopard up and running on my girlfriends notebook.

Thank you!

Thanks to this guide, I was able to install iATKOS 4.0i Leopard on the Latitude D630 they provided me from work. I don't know why, but the Kalyway DVD refused to boot on this machine. I've used Kalyway on other computers. I bought the Dell WiFi card so I could have wireless and found a working kext for the Broadcom ethernet. Video, audio, bluetooth (via a D-Link USB bluetooth dongle) all working fine. However, there is some weirdness I'm attributing to the iATKOS installer. Hoping someone might have some insight:

1. Sleep doesn't work.

2. USB devices are not plug and play. I have to boot with the USB device connected or it won't work.

EDIT: The USB issue was me being stupid. I was running a 9.2 kernel with a 10.5.4 System.kext

3. There appears to be something fishy related to 64-bit software. I use MetaX to tag my video files and if I turn on large file support (64-bit) it won't work. AtomicParsley64 crashes. I also use a program called MediaInfo Mac that refuses to work as well. They both give this error:

Library not loaded: /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libJPEG.dylib

Referenced from: /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/ImageIO

Reason: no suitable image found. Did find:

/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libJPEG.dylib: no matching architecture in universal wrapper

4. It seems like a lot of stuff was stripped out of this release. I hate not having the English dictionary. Anyone know how I can install it?

Thanks!

Hi every one.

I'm am trying to instal leo4all on my d630 by using a USB hard drive. I'm running vista on my internal drive.

I've experienced some problems to format the disk. I could not mount my drive in the disk utility and I could'nt find the place were I can format it. I used macdisk on windws to convert my fat32 usb drive to HFS+ journaled. It has been recognized well by the installer and I did not have any problem to instal macos. But after rebooting, it says to me " no boot sector on USB device" and it does not boot. What should I do ?

I've got an other question. I'm just testing the instal on that usb drive but I want to instal macos on an esata drive. It will be connected via a pcmcia card. Is it possible ? Are pcmcia cards well detected by leo4all ? Shall I ghost my vista on the esata drive and instal macos on the internal drive ?

Thanks for your help.

I've tried many different NVCAP values to get my D830 with the NVS 135M working and this is the only value I can get to work for me consistantly:

<04000100 00000100 0e000000 0000000a 00000000>

And that doesn't work quite right. I have to boot my laptop without the external monitor attached. Then once I'm in OS X I attach the monitor and do a detect displays. Then I can use the monitor (but only VGA not DVI). It works either standalone or when I'm docked to the D/Dock. I can boot just fine without the monitor attached when I've taken my laptop with me and am using it on the road. It will still boot with the external monitor when I bring it back home.

But no value worked for me when I tried booting with the monitor already attached. This was the only sequence and NVCAP value I found that would get me an external monitor. I'd prefer DVI but can live with VGA. If anyone can offer another NVCAP that works for a docked DVI connected I'd really appreciate that.

bsoplinger please try the below and let me know. Most NVS 135M Should be using the below NVCAP value, I also verified that if D830 is using an NVS 135 and NOT an NVS 140 it should ideally work as the VBIOS rom should be the same.....

04000000 00000500 02000000 00000007 00000000

With this Value I can either cboot with the monitor connected or connect the monitor after I boot and select detect displays.

Dual monitor (clone) works as well....

Since i was asked how to change NVCAPS on PM , I thought its better to add this to the thread :

The files you will need to change this :

NvKush Installer :

http://diabolik1605.com/DHF/

First install NVKUSH Installer

Restart the system

Install PLIST edit pro

PLIST edit Pro :

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/deve...isteditpro.html

browse to /systems/Library/extenstions/

find NVksuh.Kext rightclick and show contents , find the info.plist , double click - This will open it directly in PLIST edit Pro on the upper left window click on the arrows which drops down and kee looking for NVCAPS , once you frind this on the right hand window change the data files to the required NVCAPS value. (if u have the NVS 135 use 04000000 00000500 02000000 00000007 00000000)

Save & repair permissions.

In Case you need my NVkush.Kext : NVkush.kext.zip

So the produre to follow if you have a Dell D630 with an NVS 135m using my NVkush.Kext would be :

Install NVKUSH Installer from the above link.

Restart

Use Kext helper and drag and drop my NVkush.Kext and select simple install , reboot and all should just work.