Install Guide For Dell Latitude D630 and D830

roneil4

957 posts in this topic

Roneil,

This is driving me nuts, and I'm sure it's some stupid little thing I'm doing. Your original instructions to me for installing PC_EFI were:

7/ REBOOT IN SINGLE MODE, INSTALL PC EFI V8.0

Keep pressing F8 during startup, choose your OSX86 startup partition, enter "-s" as startup parameter (single-user mode). System should start in single-user mode, without GUI, text-mode only. Enter these commands.

cd /iamefi

./startupfiletool /dev/rdiskXsX ./boot_v8 (change rdiskXsX to the BSD name of your os x partition)

So I boot into single-user mode from the DVD. I end up at a -sh-3.2# prompt. Rather than the original command of cd /iamefi I'm entering cd /Volumes/Leopard/iamefi (My volume name is Leopard). In response I get:

-sh: cd: /Volumes/Leopard/iamefi : No such file or directory.

There is a directory like that on the Leopard volume. What stupid thing am I doing wrong?

Matt - You're having the same problem I was. Install with ToH. You can follow the rest of what Roneil is walking me through here after you get installed.

First of thank you roneil4 for putting this guide together. So far it's gotten me the furthest out of anyhting I have tried.

I have a Dell D630 with the Nvidia video card. I managed to get Leopard installed and booting, but now I'm running into the welcome screen loop problem. In the initial setup, I get to the ""do You Own a Mac Already" screen. i choose "Do not transfer my information now" and click continue. The next thing that happens after about a minute, the setup restarts. It keeps going in a loop and won't go past this part of setup.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm searching on-line at the moment. If I do find anything that works I will post it here.

Thanks,

OK so I got around the looping welcome screen. I followed the instructions from Caleb Gray in this thread. http://forum.insanelymac.com/lofiversion/i...php/t84556.html

I am now able to fully boot into Leopard. I was able to install the Nvidia drivers successfully. Neither my wireless or built in card are working and I still need to install the sound drivers as well as a few other things mentioned in this guide. Hopefully I'll have a fully functioning d630/Leopard setup soon.

Roneil,

This is driving me nuts, and I'm sure it's some stupid little thing I'm doing. Your original instructions to me for installing PC_EFI were:

7/ REBOOT IN SINGLE MODE, INSTALL PC EFI V8.0

Keep pressing F8 during startup, choose your OSX86 startup partition, enter "-s" as startup parameter (single-user mode). System should start in single-user mode, without GUI, text-mode only. Enter these commands.

cd /iamefi

./startupfiletool /dev/rdiskXsX ./boot_v8 (change rdiskXsX to the BSD name of your os x partition)

So I boot into single-user mode from the DVD. I end up at a -sh-3.2# prompt. Rather than the original command of cd /iamefi I'm entering cd /Volumes/Leopard/iamefi (My volume name is Leopard). In response I get:

-sh: cd: /Volumes/Leopard/iamefi : No such file or directory.

There is a directory like that on the Leopard volume. What stupid thing am I doing wrong?

Matt - You're having the same problem I was. Install with ToH. You can follow the rest of what Roneil is walking me through here after you get installed.

I think you first may have to mount the disk. I do not remember how to do this right now, but when you boot in single user mode, there are some small instructions on top of the input prompt on how to do this. Make sure you mount it read/write though. You should hold off on the EFI installation for a little while though, pfloyd may have a solution to the NVIDIA problems.

First of thank you roneil4 for putting this guide together. So far it's gotten me the furthest out of anyhting I have tried.

I have a Dell D630 with the Nvidia video card. I managed to get Leopard installed and booting, but now I'm running into the welcome screen loop problem. In the initial setup, I get to the ""do You Own a Mac Already" screen. i choose "Do not transfer my information now" and click continue. The next thing that happens after about a minute, the setup restarts. It keeps going in a loop and won't go past this part of setup.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm searching on-line at the moment. If I do find anything that works I will post it here.

Thanks,

OK so I got around the looping welcome screen. I followed the instructions from Caleb Gray in this thread. http://forum.insanelymac.com/lofiversion/i...php/t84556.html

I am now able to fully boot into Leopard. I was able to install the Nvidia drivers successfully. Neither my wireless or built in card are working and I still need to install the sound drivers as well as a few other things mentioned in this guide. Hopefully I'll have a fully functioning d630/Leopard setup soon.

What install disk did you use? and if it's not ToH, how did you get the install to work? I will add this info to the guide so the other NVIDIA users can install os x more easily.

Also, a message to the Kalyway users, DO NOT install the 10.5.2 update from apple. I tried installing it booted off of the sleep kernel and the vanilla kernel and in both cases it destroyed my system. I was able to salvage all of my data through the terminal after the first kernel panic in installer, but it took a very long time. After reinstalling my system, before installing anything else, I ran the update with the vanilla kernel. This also did not work. I am trying the update with the iATKOS disk now, and will report back here soon with the results...

Thanks roneil4. I have a D830 w/NV140 and Intel4965 802.11a/g/n for wireless and was documenting all the headaches I was going to need to get it installed. This is a fantastic start.

I purchased a spare 120gb drive and I'm waiting for it to arrive so I can begin the install/testing/help with this.

I have zero experience with Macs (12yrs in Windows server/desktop support), so I'm hoping this will be gentle on me :)

What install disk did you use? and if it's not ToH, how did you get the install to work? I will add this info to the guide so the other NVIDIA users can install os x more easily.Also, a message to the Kalyway users, DO NOT install the 10.5.2 update from apple. I tried installing it booted off of the sleep kernel and the vanilla kernel and in both cases it destroyed my system. I was able to salvage all of my data through the terminal after the first kernel panic in installer, but it took a very long time. After reinstalling my system, before installing anything else, I ran the update with the vanilla kernel. This also did not work. I am trying the update with the iATKOS disk now, and will report back here soon with the results...
I used the Kalaway 10.5.1 disk. I tried the ToH install but kept getting kernal panics I couldn't resolved on the D630. I believe the ToH and Kalaway both worked on my D600 almost perfectly. The video is only 1024, but everything else seemed to work.
I have zero experience with Macs (12yrs in Windows server/desktop support), so I'm hoping this will be gentle on me
Same here. It's been a challenge so far, but worht it. I've definitely learned a lot about Macs already doing this.

So, from what I'm reading here and other threads, the things that aren't fixed yet, but I will need are:

Intel 4965 Wireless (a/g/n) (preferable)

Broadcom Ethernet (useful as a backup if wireless isn't working)

I haven't found any info on whether the expresscard slot is working with this. I have a card reader in mine I use daily and it may be a deal breaker to not have its use.

I'm also assuming it sees the DVD drive as std and will play/burn DVDs and CDs.

Will the NVidia drivers allow for full 1920x1200 resolution? I haven't really read much on that yet, so the answer may be out there.

I have the Kalaway 10.5.1 DVD ready and waiting for my drive to arrive. Gives me time to do research and let rest of you break/fix/figure out some of the pressing issues.

This is my daily, personal laptop, but do testing on it, so I will carry/swap drives as needed. This would be a great Hackbook Pro :(

Things I haven't seen mention of, but don't really care:

integrated Bluetooth

Anything else I need to be concerned with?

This was the document I was looking for for a While :) Thank you for all your effort.

My installation went fine. I tried Kalyway and IATKOS. After installation my screen resolution is working on 1024x768. so i followed the steps to install :D GMAX31oo kexts. As soon as my system is rebooted it ends with a black screen. First the usual apple logo appears then you see the bleu default background from apple for a second, but after that the screen ends up black.

Do I miss something? My system is running the Intel video card and the resolution 1920x1200

So, from what I'm reading here and other threads, the things that aren't fixed yet, but I will need are:

Intel 4965 Wireless (a/g/n) (preferable)

Broadcom Ethernet (useful as a backup if wireless isn't working)

I haven't found any info on whether the expresscard slot is working with this. I have a card reader in mine I use daily and it may be a deal breaker to not have its use.

I'm also assuming it sees the DVD drive as std and will play/burn DVDs and CDs.

Will the NVidia drivers allow for full 1920x1200 resolution? I haven't really read much on that yet, so the answer may be out there.

I have the Kalaway 10.5.1 DVD ready and waiting for my drive to arrive. Gives me time to do research and let rest of you break/fix/figure out some of the pressing issues.

This is my daily, personal laptop, but do testing on it, so I will carry/swap drives as needed. This would be a great Hackbook Pro :)

Things I haven't seen mention of, but don't really care:

integrated Bluetooth

Anything else I need to be concerned with?

What laptop are you using? The wireless support for your chosen card is not very good, it would be a better idea to use os x with a dell wireless 1390, 1490, or 1505. Also, some people have had problems with installing os x on the quadro card. You can use both the PC card slot and the DVD drive. I don't know about the integrated bluetooth, because I don't have it.

This was the document I was looking for for a While :wacko: Thank you for all your effort.

My installation went fine. I tried Kalyway and IATKOS. After installation my screen resolution is working on 1024x768. so i followed the steps to install :unsure: GMAX31oo kexts. As soon as my system is rebooted it ends with a black screen. First the usual apple logo appears then you see the bleu default background from apple for a second, but after that the screen ends up black.

Do I miss something? My system is running the Intel video card and the resolution 1920x1200

If you install the sleepdisplayscript correctly, this should not happen. You also need to set your system to automatic login. These instructions are all in the guide.

Also, upgrading vanilla with iATKOS didn't work either.

Sorry roneil4 - I put it in my post above that. I've had the laptop for a while and love it. In the Windows world, the Intel WiFi card is much better than the Dell (Broadcom) card. It's a more solid signal and more native integration into Windows, so that's why I ordered it. Whether the Centrino power management gives the extra battery time is unknown by me as I only have this one, but it has tested with more time on the battery.

Thanks roneil4. I have a D830 w/NV140 and Intel4965 802.11a/g/n for wireless and was documenting all the headaches I was going to need to get it installed. This is a fantastic start.

I purchased a spare 120gb drive and I'm waiting for it to arrive so I can begin the install/testing/help with this.

I have zero experience with Macs (12yrs in Windows server/desktop support), so I'm hoping this will be gentle on me :(

My drive should be here today or tomorrow, so I'll hopefully get started and possibly help out if I can (MAC newbie).

You mentioned the PC Card slot+DVD, have you confirmed the Express Card slot is also working (I'm assuming the D630 has express card like the 830 in addition to the PC card)?

I have a D630 with the Intel (GMAX) video. I've had a miserable time trying to figure out how to boot the install disk without panics. My system didn't like the flags. Just vanilla (and not '-vanilla') I'm using the Kalyway disc although I did try the iATKOS. I thought it wasn't working because the screen would go dark and disk activity would cease....but about 20 minutes later you could wake it up with the touchpad and you were at the first install screen.

I followed the direction for the GMAX3100. But there's one part I don't follow about installing the sleepDisplayApp

"Next to the automatic logon, select the account you added the login item to, and enter your password again."

I can select it but I'm not prompted for a password. Are you supposed to toggle the lock again?

Consequently, I don't think it's installed correctly. Is there a way to check or correct it? I've done the install twice with this same result-----I have a couple of permission issues that repairPermissions doesn't fix. Actually, I had about 6---all but two I fixed (or should that be 'fixed') with chmod. I don't understand the remaining two because I think it involves a link and about the only unix experience I've had was dinking with my TIVO.

D830 with Dell 1505 wireless card

NVS 140

Broadcom NIC

Installed Kaliway + 10.5.2 update with vanilla kernel and vanila ACPI and SMBIOS kexts

Mods:

replaced powermanagement.bundle and added AcpiPowerSorce for battery meter

ALC injector + custom HDA kext for audio

ACPIPS2Nub + PS2Controller kexts for keyboard

stock 10.5.2 video drivers + nvinject 0.2.1 for video

Working:

keyboard and trackpoint

sound

bluetooth (i have a bluetooth mouse attached)

wi-fi - like AirPort

full accelerated video

NonWorking:

LAN - not even detected

Dual Display

Shutdown, Reboot and Sleep functions

I'm running the iATKOS 1.0ir2 install. Installation went smooth. I selected ONLY iATKOS and ALL the EFI stuff (vanilla kernel and vanilla ACPI). That selection should get you going with a running (networked) D830.

D830 with Dell 1390 wireless (had the intel 4965AGN before)

Quadro NVS 140 M (previously running on 10.5.2 graphic kexts and NVinjectGo 0.2.0c but now I'm running on a gfx string in com.apple.Boot.plist without the need for the NVinject kexts)

Sound works thanks to this topic starter

bluetooth works out of the box

DVD burner works out of the box

battery meter works with new powermanagement bundle and Powersource.kext plugin

sleep/shutdown/reboot does not work. Sleep just doesn't work at all. Shutdown/reboot worked before I messed with the NVinject or gfx util string to get met graphics supported. I suspect it is related to the NVCAP settings.

I have a dual boot setup (MBR based partition table) with Windows XP. I used iATKOS EFI to install, but replaced that afterwards with Netkas' EFI to get gfx strings to work. Dual boot and EFI is no problem, as long as you make the OS X partition the active one before you start the installation. A boot loader is installed automatically, you can still select Windows XP from there. Windows XP doesn't support SATA AHCI out of the box. You either need to reinstall Windows XP and load the AHCI drivers during XP installation or you can follow a trick I found on the dell user forum about SATA AHCI and installing those drivers with XP already installed. I tried that method, it worked fine for me. I've got both Leopard and XP running with AHCI (it is faster!)

I don't care much for my gigabit broadcom, but sleep/shutdown/reboot would be nice. But I'd prefer the vanilla kernel (stability) over that.

My drive just showed up and I just saw the K10.5.2 image, so I'll start the download and begin testing this weekend.

Where did you find the image?

Never mind, please don't post anything here. I'll find what I'm looking for elsewhere.

com.apple.Boot.plist.zip (unzip and place in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration don't forget permissions)

And for future reference or use, I also attached my plist for the hardware reference I used to create the hex string. If you have other hardware, modify it to your needs and try it.

You could try the com.apple.Boot.plist first. If that doesn't work, you might have different IODevice locations (depending on your exact hardware specs) You can then use the latitude-d830.plist to modify your hardware location, which can be found with gfxutil (download it from Netkas' forum). The hexstring you can create with gfxutil should not be edited! Any editor might insert a line terminator which you won't see, but when using it in com.apple.Boot.plist, it will fail (because of a possible line terminator).

good luck.

com.apple.Boot.plist.zip

latitude_d830.plist.zip

Trying to download the attachments to the op post, but the forum is saying the files have been deleted?

I have a Dell D600, and those versions of the files would seem to be the most compatible compared to the other variants floating around - does anyone have a copy of these files?

Trying to download the attachments to the op post, but the forum is saying the files have been deleted?

I have a Dell D600, and those versions of the files would seem to be the most compatible compared to the other variants floating around - does anyone have a copy of these files?

I'm also having trouble with the downloads and not having any luck finding the same files on other sites.. I've got a D630. Thanks to the info in this post, I was finally able to get Nvidia graphics working on my iAtkos v1.0r3 (r3 = patched r2).

im trying to get the power management/icon to work on my d600

also have to boot with onboard nic disabled

havent tried the pcmcia slot, but willing to chuck on the patch to test :)

tried iatkos on my d600 - it wouldnt load, just sat at the spinning grey circle loading screen

kalyway only version that works for me so far

Sorry bout the noob question, but How dow I download your uploaded files.

When ever I try im redirected to the "Missinge feilds" or something.

can you upload a single pack to like Rapidshare.com or something please ?

P.S THANK YOU FOR YOUR GUIDE!