Install Guide For Dell Latitude D630 and D830

roneil4

957 posts in this topic

i was able to install it using iatkos v4i but after it restarts, i just get the gray apple screen and after about 5 minutes, i get a circle with a cross in the center of the screen. like a no smoking sign. and it doesnt do anything after that.

im thinking if i installed it wrong. before you hit install, you can customize the installation. i dont know what to choose.

edit: i booted it with -v and i got

failed to load extension com.apple.driver.appleahciport highlighted in yellow. and some more stuff after that.

Noahbody99 just posted a kext, and it works fine! I followed his procedure he posted for creating the kext to the T, but it didn't work for me in the end. Somebody must of missed something, and it could have been me.

So, confirmed. Now two people with working BCM5755M on D860/630!

Kext here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=34636

P.S. Roneil4, Try Chun-nan's Battery kext. Gives time perfect, a lot more information in system profiler, and doesn't require any updated powermanagement.bundle. And, for graphics, I don't think you need all the pre-graphics update kexts, just the framebuffer. Errandwolfe mentioned it, and I found it to be true when I got X3000 working.

THANK YOU Noahbody99!!! Confirmed: 3 people with wired NIC working. My computer is a Dell Latitude D830 with Dell Wifi card and Intel X3100 Graphics card. As simple as Thestevo said. Thank you, too, Thestevo!

I hadn't checked this topic for a while, and just finished reading up the last three pages. I was really looking for a solution to my problem with the native resolution on my 1680x1050 display. I can only use 1600x1000, if I select the native resolution I either get a corrupted mouse cursor, or the computer freezes with a black screen. Does anyone know whether there is a solution for this out yet?

Thank you, too, Roneil4!

THANK YOU Noahbody99!!! Confirmed: 3 people with wired NIC working. My computer is a Dell Latitude D830 with Dell Wifi card and Intel X3100 Graphics card. As simple as Thestevo said. Thank you, too, Thestevo!

I hadn't checked this topic for a while, and just finished reading up the last three pages. I was really looking for a solution to my problem with the native resolution on my 1680x1050 display. I can only use 1600x1000, if I select the native resolution I either get a corrupted mouse cursor, or the computer freezes with a black screen. Does anyone know whether there is a solution for this out yet?

Thank you, too, Roneil4!

make it 4 then... my ethernet is working too now... :)

So here is where I am as of now:

The internal network card is now working as I said above.

Video: I checked my hardware and I actually have the NVS135M chipset, still at 128MB though. I've got it running at full resolution (1920x1200) but still no QE/CI. I'm thinking that may have something to do with the fact that I've upgraded to 10.5.5. Thestevo have you upgraded your D830 to 10.5.5?

Speaking of 10.5.5, you'll have to re-install all of the drivers from the beginning of the guide, for some reason after the update I lost the sound, PCMCIA, and all of that stuff. Re-installation goes just fine with KextHelper.

All of my issues now revolve around video, getting QE/CI and restart/shutdown working correctly.

Thanks for the post up there guys got the NIC card working on my D830! Now I just need to figure out how to get this Atheros card working so I can use my Wireless N

isn't that atheros cards use broadcomm chipsets..? There's a beta driver for broadcomm chipsets isn't it..?

CMIIW.. :)

Make that at least 4. I have a similar setup, D830 with both the Dell 1390 and the Intel Wifi cards. The Dell card worked just fine for wireless but now I too also have wired NIC working.

I hadn't checked this topic for a while, and just finished reading up the last three pages. I was really looking for a solution to my problem with the native resolution on my 1680x1050 display.

Thank you, too, Roneil4!

Let me add my thanks to Roneil4 and whomever posted the modified kext so that I didn't have to do it myself.

I had lots of issues getting 1680x1050 working on my 22" LCD also. What finally worked for me was moving to NVKush (link elsewhere on this page) over the NVxxx kexts which finally enabled Quartz Extreme for me. Trouble is that was for the Quatro NVS 135M not the Intel GMX graphics so I can't be of any help there.

While I'm asking questions, I've searched through the different threads here but there's an assumption is too many of them that I already know what's going on and I don't, so...

My machine: D830, OS X 10.5.4, NVS135, Dell 1390 Wireless, Dell Bluetooth Card, Vanilla Kernel

Is there a way to get the display to turn off when the laptop is closed? I ask because I usually am using it docked and it'd be nice if the display wasn't considered 'active' or 'enabled' when I'm docked. Right now I've gotten around the problem by arranging my desktop via the displays pref pane to have my main LCD monitor below the laptop display and then just take care when I'm moving to the 'top' of the screen to get the menus, just can't go too far or I'm actually clicking on the laptop display. It isn't the best solution, its nice to know the top of the screen really is the top of the screen :idea:

I assume using the laptop docked isn't the norm so maybe nobody can answer this one, but does anyone have any idea why I can get my external speakers to work when I have them plugged into the laptop headphone port but not when I have them plugged into the dock headphone port? Of course they work properly in both XP and Vista.

What exactly is the speedstep stuff mentioned throughout this thread? Is the fact that I don't have any working speedstep why my laptop runs so much warmer in Mac OS vs either version of Windows? What can I do to make this 'right?'

Is there any consensus on whether TimeMachine can be run and run successfully? If not what do people use to backup and restore their Mac OS drive? I have my HD partitioned into 4 pieces right now: NTFS XP, NTFS Vista, HFS+ OS X, Fat-32 shared data partition. It'd be nice if I could have a way to backup onto the shared partition.

Which install DVD did you use and what version of OSX are you running?

I used iAtkos v4.1i updated to Mac Os 10.5.5

Any luck with the internal microphone?

or the Intel Wireless drivers ?

Also,

I have an Option GT Ultra ATT wirelss card, pcmcia is working, but I can't seem to find an application to use to connect .

Thanks

I'm having trouble getting the kalyway 10.5.1 disk to load at all, most of the time booting from the dvd leaves it wit ha black screen with an E up in the corner, after that nothing happens, but occasionally it will go to the bootloader screen, booting vanilla in safemode will get it to the first screen for instalation, but it freezes,and won't go past that point. Booting not in safemode leads to a kernel panic.

I have winxp and ubuntu installed atm, the partition that would be assigned to osx is a 25gig fat32

I forgot to mention that the first time I went to install it it worked perfectly fine, however I broke it by updating wrong, since then it hasn't worked properly.

For those of you using the ethernet kext by noahboddy99, which AppleAPIC.kext are you using?

I have 1.1.0 on a bootcd, and 1.2.0 installed..

If I use the bootcd, the ethernet works. If I don't, it does not. However, either way, the version that is loaded at the end of it is 1.2.0...

Just about to try a few other things that I didn't yesterday, but I'd like to hear back on this..

kextstat | grep AppleAPIC is a good start :)

EDIT: Hrm... Stranger and stranger. Built a new boot132 cd that had AppleAPIC v1.2.0 on it, and it's working fine.. Ok..

Going to chalk that up to things being weird and ignore it :P

When I updated to 10.5.5, my power management features went away... previously, I had all the functionality of a real macbook (show time, percentage, plugged in, etc). My sound also went, but I just put the backup kexts in.

This post:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=126888

Brought it all back! Woo!

Yes, I also encounter these issues when I upgrade to 10.5.5. Thanks to your link I get back power meter. But I didn't backup my sound kext, the sound files in this post by roneil doesn't work any more, can you give me a link to get the sound kext?

Thanks

Hi Roneil, also I get a question, I am also using D630 as this topic talked about, with GMAX3100 kexts installed, why QE is not supported while CI is software. From your sign, it is said QE/CI is fully working. What else should I do? My highest resolution 1280 * 800.

Yes, I also encounter these issues when I upgrade to 10.5.5. Thanks to your link I get back power meter. But I didn't backup my sound kext, the sound files in this post by roneil doesn't work any more, can you give me a link to get the sound kext?

Thanks

Hi Roneil, also I get a question, I am also using D630 as this topic talked about, with GMAX3100 kexts installed, why QE is not supported while CI is software. From your sign, it is said QE/CI is fully working. What else should I do? My highest resolution 1280 * 800.

i had the same issue with D630 remove NVinject and NVinjectGO, just use Nvkush.