Dual boot Leopard + XP

20 posts in this topic

Hi, I have one SATA disk with XP already installed(single partition). I have another SATA disk with Leopard installed(single partition). What I want to do is add an entry for Leopard in my boot.ini file, but i don't know the syntax or if that will even work. Its on an Intel board, so is there a button to press when booting to let me choose which drive i boot from? A menu would be nice but I'm not worried about it as long as i can choose which disk I boot from.

Copy CHAIN0 file to your windows drive root (assuming that it has C letter)

and add to boot.ini file the following string:

C:\chain0="Leopard"

"Leopard" will be shown as OS name in the boot menu.

Hope that helps.

I'm building a hackintosh and (due to budget constraints) will be buying a Leopard only SATA HDD.

However, on a near future I will buy a small 80gigger just for XP.

Is there a way to make a nice software dual boot (instead of the F8 method) when I finally buy it ?

Cheers

I have 2 hard disks in my pc.

hdd 1 primary master 2 120gb Leopard 10.5.1

hdd 2 primary master 3 320gb Windows XP SP2

Both OS'es separately installed. The option for entering BIOS on my PC is pressing the "Del" button. This PC is used by other members who want to have nothing to do with Mac, so I have set the default boot to WinXP.

Whenever I want to use Mac, I have to shut down Windows, and on restart press "Del" to enter BIOS and change setting to boot from the 1st hdd. And after finishing, I have to again enter the BIOS menu to change the boot disk to WinXP.

I was searching and searching for a better way to do this. I tried various methods suggested but none worked for me. I did read about the "chain0" method, but never thought it would work on 2 disks. So, never really bothered trying it. My big mistake.

One day, really frustrated, I thought why not give it a try. I downloaded the file to my root folder in C:\ and edited the boot.ini file to add the following line at the end " C:\chain0="OSX LEO" " without the external " " s. I was really surprised how easy this step was.

At first, I tried with "timeout=10" which gave me 10 seconds to see if it works. Then I changed it to "timeout=0" to boot windows by default.

Now, whenever I want to boot Leo, I just have to reboot and press "F8" right before windows boot to enter the boot menu and select "OSX Leo" to start it. Once I'm done, I just simply have to either shut down or restart and it will boot back to Windows.

So, now I have to enter settings just once instead of entering settings twice in BIOS.

Hope this helps someone.

Yeah, thanks. I've got it set up to dual boot now. What is the best way to have an extra storage drive that is visible to both OS's? I want to avoid Fat 32 because of 4GB file limit and i have some .iso files that are larger. Is there a way to enable writing to NTFS in os x?

Which version of Leopard have you installed? I used kalyway_leo_10.5.1 (4.37GB) and I am able to veiw my NTFS drive out-of-the-box without any additional software or effort on my side. But, writing to NTFS is an issue. I have no problem about that. I have partitioned my 120 GB (112 GB nett) disk with Leopard into 3 primary partitions:

1) HSF+ 25 GB (Leopard)

2) NTFS 82 GB (Backup)

3) FAT32 5GB (Shared)

Also, for accessing the leopard partition, I have MacDrive 7.0.10 installed. So, if and when I want to access any file over 4 GB (FAT32 limitation), I can directly access from my Leopard partition using MacDrive or from my NTFS partition from within Leopard. Hope I am not too confusing.

BTW, I have also successfully upgraded to 10.5.2 using KalywayIntelCombo10.5.2.zip

Only quirk is that I have ATI Radeon X300 and QE does not work for me. I have tried all the tutorials. :D

Two separate disks. 400GB has Windows on first partition, 250GB has Leo on first partition.

chain0 didn't work for me.

wingrub didn't work for me. (Error was displayed when trying to boot up Mac OS X, then a console/prompt thing started up)

Luckily my motherboard has a boot selector available if you press F12 on startup -- so now Mac OS is the default that starts if I do nothing, and if I want to start Widows, I need to press F12, then select the 400GB drive from the menu. Not perfect perhaps, but handy just enough.

Navaira, where did you add the C:\chain0="OSX LEO" line in your boot.ini file? It should be in the end, right after all the other entries.

Initially, I had added this line after default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS and before [operating systems]. But, it did not work for me. Later on, I read somewhere that it should be at the end.

So, if you have not yet done it, try it out. Also, you wrote, Windows on 1st partition and Leo on 2nd partition. Is it partition or disk?

I currently have the following configuration on my AMD dual-core PC:

HDD 1 (SATA)

C: Windows XP Pro 32-bit (55 GB)

D: Windows XP Pro 64-bit (3.5 GB)

E: General Storage (174 GB)

HDD 2 (IDE)

F: General Storage

HDD 3 (IDE/Firewire External drive)

G: General Storage (250 GB)

HDD 4 (SATA)

H: General Storage (500 GB)

HDD 5 (IDE)

I: General Storage (60 GB)

I would like to install Leopard and set up my config so that I can choose between all three OS'es at boot, like I can choose between my two Windows OS'es right now (I have it set to auto-select XP32 after 10 seconds, and want to add Leopard to that boot list as an option, essentially).

A couple of questions:

1. Should I install Leopard on its own disc, or would I be OK if I change F to G, G to H, etc and "move" 160 GB of my "E" partition to "F", and create a new 14 GB partition for Leopard on HDD 1 in position "next to" partition "D"?

2. If I choose to install Leopard on a new partition on HDD 1, should I disconnect all other drives before initializing the installation?

3. Similarly, if I choose to install Leopard on its own HDD, should I disconnect all other drives, including HD 1, before initializing the installation? I ask because when I first tried to install XP64 (on a separate HDD), I never could get the boot options to work correctly... it could never find the other OS... at least not until I installed it on the primary HDD alongside the XP32 install.

I am really looking forward to trying this out, and eagerly anticipate your replies.

Thanks!

@hockey2112, look at my sig, 2nd hack. I installed on separate disks and used chain0 to select osx. My default OS is XP.

As for removing disks during installation, I never actually removed the disks, but went into BIOS and changed the order in which to boot the disks. I have installed both ways, 1st XP 2nd Leo and 1st Leo 2nd XP. But since on 2 different disks, I don't risk corrupting any boot loaders.

guyz... need a help........

yesterday i installed leopard in my pc.

1st hdd........ sata---- windows xp

2nd hdd.......ide------ leopard

then i logged in leopard copied chain0 to the xp drive..... c:

then logged in xp and edited boot.ini and put c:\chain0 at the end of the file. but when i selected Leopard from the boot menu it showed me this error.........

Windows couldnt start because the following file is missing or corrupted.

<Windows root>\System32\hal.dll

Please re-install a copy of the above mentioned file.

@hockey2112, look at my sig, 2nd hack. I installed on separate disks and used chain0 to select osx. My default OS is XP.

As for removing disks during installation, I never actually removed the disks, but went into BIOS and changed the order in which to boot the disks. I have installed both ways, 1st XP 2nd Leo and 1st Leo 2nd XP. But since on 2 different disks, I don't risk corrupting any boot loaders.

guardian_10,

Thanks for the info. I am now planning on installing Leopard on a new partition I created on HDD 5 (partition "O").

I created the new partition, rebooted, changed my bios boot settings to boot from disc, placed the Leopard disc in my drive, and booted from it. It first sat at a "loading darwin" screen for two minutes or so, and then went to the white "apple logo" screen with the revolving progress indicator. My DVD drive continued to hum along for a few minutes, and then suddenly stopped moving. The screen image stayed the same, and the progress indicator continued to revolve, but there was no activity from the DVD drive. I let it "sit" like this for 15-20 minutes and then hit the reset button. I then tried again, with the same exact results.

Am I doing something wrong? Am I supposed to let it sit at the "white apple logo" screen for a long time?

Thanks

Yeah, thanks. I've got it set up to dual boot now. What is the best way to have an extra storage drive that is visible to both OS's? I want to avoid Fat 32 because of 4GB file limit and i have some .iso files that are larger. Is there a way to enable writing to NTFS in os x?

you can get a program called mac drive that you install on windows and it will allow you to read HFS+ drives.

@ dying4004, sorry I did not see your query sooner. I never copied the file from the dvd. I downloaded it from the net. I'm not sure from where, so I've attached it to this reply. Also, I read in some other thread about someone who had put the extra line in boot.ini in upper case / capital letters and someone suggested to type in lower case, but not sure if this is a problem as there was no update from that user whether it worked or not.

BTW, I just successfully installed and am triple-booting XP, OSX and Ubuntu all using only boot.ini

chain0.rar

Hello everyone, I have some problems booting into leopard from an external drive. I installed the Zephyroth 10.5.2 AMD-hacked version of Leopard on a Maxtor 120gb external, the install went fine but the primary OS on the computer (a HP dv2000 series w/ AMD 64bit processor) is windows vista home premium. The problem is now whenever I reboot it won't let me boot into the mac os on the external drive (everything was partitioned correctly in the install, i should add that too). upon restarting all i get is a screen that gives me the option of windows vista or mac leopard but when i select leopard it tells me that it cannot find the chain command and will not allow me to boot. Selecting windows vista boots me into vista normally. I had tried using EasyBCD to see if this would help but it didn't. I was wondering if there is a simple solution to this and I'm just too stupid to see it. any help would be appreciated.

Indy

@ dying4004, sorry I did not see your query sooner. I never copied the file from the dvd. I downloaded it from the net. I'm not sure from where, so I've attached it to this reply. Also, I read in some other thread about someone who had put the extra line in boot.ini in upper case / capital letters and someone suggested to type in lower case, but not sure if this is a problem as there was no update from that user whether it worked or not.

BTW, I just successfully installed and am triple-booting XP, OSX and Ubuntu all using only boot.ini

thnx so much for the file bro. this is previously i used GUID and chain0 from my dvd and it dint worked. today i installed leopard with MBR and with ur chain0 its working grt. thnx for all the support bro. u r the legend.

• 2 weeks later...
thnx so much for the file bro. this is previously i used GUID and chain0 from my dvd and it dint worked. today i installed leopard with MBR and with ur chain0 its working grt. thnx for all the support bro. u r the legend.

Hey everyone....

Well I managed to install Leopard (The ToH x86 9A581 RC2 version) to a second partition on the hard drive, but like others, I can't get it to boot from the hard drive through XP's boot.ini. I can get it to boot if I keep the DVD though, so I know the installation works. Off hand, this is how I get it to boot. Hopefully this helps someone:

Boot with the DVD in and hit F8 at the Darwin x86 boot loader before the countdown expires. At the boot: prompt, type:

rd=disk0s2

where 0 is the drive number Leopard is installed, and s2 is the partition number. (In my case XP is on the first partition, and Leopard is on the second). It scrolls a lot of stuff, but eventually boots into Leopard. (I don't have sound or internet, as it doesn't see an audio device or network card, but I haven't looked into those yet.)

Anyways, back to the boot.ini problem. I tried copying both the chain0 files from the DVD and the one from guardian_10 but I get the same result: the screen goes completely black with only a flashing cursor in the top left corner.

Anyone have any ideas on this? Anyone else have the ToH x86.... version? I see a lot of talk on the Kalyway 10.5.1 version, and dying4004 said he got it to work with guardian_10's chain0 file.

Thoughts and posting results are always welcome.

~crawly