finally got ALC880 sound to work! yeah!

digitallysick

7 posts in this topic

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I am also trying to get alc880 sound working (on 10.4.8)

I tried using the guide below but it did not help (strange that the strings I had to change were already correct so no changes were needed... so I guess it had detected it correctly but no sound deveics showing up...)

Maybe this guide (Not Mine, I am a noob to Macs) will help you:

=============================================

Edit: The following guide is for getting ALC882 sound out working. The process may work with any ALC8xx chipset with a few changes. See the Appendix at the end of the guide for how to make those changes.

The Guide

I have yet to see the definitive guide here on getting ALC882 sound working. The best one I've seen comes from aRt on another forum and this is it:

How to get HD audio working - sound for ya!!!

1. Delete AppleHDA.kext:

* In Terminal, type:

* sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext

* sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

* sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

2) Edit AppleAzaliaAudio.kext:

* In Terminal, type: sudo pico /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/Info.plist

* Search for (use hotkey= ctrl + w):

<key>IOHDAudioCodecVendorID</key>

* change the string to:

<string>0x10ec0880</string>

* Exit pico

* sudo pico /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAzaliaController.kext/Contents/Info.plist

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

* change the string to:

<string>0x26688086</string>

* Exit pico

3) Clean up the system:

* In Terminal, type:

* sudo diskutil repairpermissions /

* sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

* kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions/

4) Then, reboot and enjoy sound out of two channels.

Appendix

The following information might help you get your ALC8xx sound out working. The strings that are replaced in the guide above are for Realtek ALC882 only. For other versions of ALC8xx sound or if you are having trouble getting ALC882 sound working, we need to determine the vendor and device ids of the audio device and the audio hub. There are no guarantees that this will get your sound working, but I am pretty sure this also works for ALC880, ALC888, ALC861 and maybe others.

To do this, go into Windows, then go to Device Manager:

Step A. Under "Sound, video and game controllers", select "Realtek High Definition Audio". Get Properties and then click on the Detail tab. Record the vendor and device ids.

As an example, in this picture, the set of id's are vendor = "10EC" and device = "0882"

Attached Image

Step B. Under "System devices", find "Microsoft UAA Bus Driver For High Definition Audio" and also get the vendor and device ids.

In this picture, the set of id's are vendor = "8086" and device = "27D8"

Attached Image

Now, using The Guide above, substitute the following:

Instead of the string "0x10ec0882", use a new string constructed from the vendor id and device id from Step A. above.

It should be of the form 0x + (vendor id) + (device id). Like: 0x + 10ec + 0882 = 0x10ec0882

Instead of the string "0x27d88086", use a string constructed from the vendor id and device id from Step B. above.

However, it should be of the form 0x + (device id) + (vendor id).

Note that this is backwards from the previous string.

hey guys this forum ios awesome....here is my config.... intel core 2 duo e6300 1.86ghz...gigabyte 945gm-s2....2gb transcend jetram. and plenty of space!!! jas10.4.7 repack installed perfectly....however no sound...the onboard sound is alc883 realtek...i tried a few steps but no luck.

can anyone please pass on their alc883 driver (working of course) for mac 10.4.7 and abover...

really appreciate ure help

I don't know if this could help somebody, I have a 915gux intel mobo with the realtek HDAudio, Vendor ID=2668, DeviceID=8806, and the only way to have sound was applying the 10.4.3 AppleHDAudio.kext, correcting the Vendor and Device ID, deleting the Extensions (kextcache and mkext), deleting the AppleAzaliaAudio.kext, this is absolutely indispensable to do!,repairing permisions and reboot, after that I have sound stereo. Hope this help. :)

• 4 months later...

This tutorial worked to get my audio going on my Acer TravelMate under 10.4.5. Now I am so happy, I do the dance of joy! (Realtek audio ALC882)

=============================================

Edit: The following guide is for getting ALC882 sound out working. The process may work with any ALC8xx chipset with a few changes. See the Appendix at the end of the guide for how to make those changes.

The Guide

I have yet to see the definitive guide here on getting ALC882 sound working. The best one I've seen comes from aRt on another forum and this is it:

How to get HD audio working - sound for ya!!!

1. Delete AppleHDA.kext:

* In Terminal, type:

* sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext

* sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

* sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

2) Edit AppleAzaliaAudio.kext:

* In Terminal, type: sudo pico /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/Info.plist

<key>IOHDAudioCodecVendorID</key>

* change the string to:

<string>0x10ec0880</string>

* Exit pico

* sudo pico /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAzaliaController.kext/Contents/Info.plist

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

* change the string to:

<string>0x26688086</string>

* Exit pico

3) Clean up the system:

* In Terminal, type:

* sudo diskutil repairpermissions /

* sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

* kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions/

4) Then, reboot and enjoy sound out of two channels.

Appendix

The following information might help you get your ALC8xx sound out working. The strings that are replaced in the guide above are for Realtek ALC882 only. For other versions of ALC8xx sound or if you are having trouble getting ALC882 sound working, we need to determine the vendor and device ids of the audio device and the audio hub. There are no guarantees that this will get your sound working, but I am pretty sure this also works for ALC880, ALC888, ALC861 and maybe others.

To do this, go into Windows, then go to Device Manager:

Step A. Under "Sound, video and game controllers", select "Realtek High Definition Audio". Get Properties and then click on the Detail tab. Record the vendor and device ids.

As an example, in this picture, the set of id's are vendor = "10EC" and device = "0882"

Attached Image

Step B. Under "System devices", find "Microsoft UAA Bus Driver For High Definition Audio" and also get the vendor and device ids.

In this picture, the set of id's are vendor = "8086" and device = "27D8"

Attached Image

Now, using The Guide above, substitute the following:

Instead of the string "0x10ec0882", use a new string constructed from the vendor id and device id from Step A. above.

It should be of the form 0x + (vendor id) + (device id). Like: 0x + 10ec + 0882 = 0x10ec0882

Instead of the string "0x27d88086", use a string constructed from the vendor id and device id from Step B. above.

However, it should be of the form 0x + (device id) + (vendor id).

Note that this is backwards from the previous string.

• 4 months later...