Dell Inspiron 600m Installation and troubles

plaen

56 posts in this topic

It seems like most of the 600m installation issues have been resolved (for my usage anyway lol). The only thing i see that needs further development is the video card management and a fully working sleep mode. From when i last checked, nobody has been able to get the ati radeon mobility 9000 to function properly. sigh, oh well.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok well I thought I would add to the problems. For some reason when I go through the installation wizard it takes forever to do anything. It also seems like it is having problems accessing the hard drive. I was able to take the hd out of the dell and put it into an external for my mac to format it as a Mac OS Extended (Journaled). The OS sees the hd, but when it goes to install it just hangs at installing, remaining time unkown

• 1 month later...

EDIT:

I now have a Dell 600m running stable Leopard 10.5.5. Here's how to do it:

Update bios to A17.

Correct BIOS settings to use:

(on pg 3)

Boot Post: Minimal

Adapter warnings: disabled

Internal modem: disabled

Lan Controller: disabled

PXE BIS Policy: Accept

MiniPCI Status: Enabled

Wireless control: Application

Wireless: On.

(on pg 4)

Serial port: Disabled

Infrared data port: disabled

parallel mode: disabled

Keyboard click: disabled

num lock: disabled

Enabled Keypad: by Numlock

External Hot Key: Not installed

USB Emulation: Enabled

Pointing device: Touch Pad-/PS2 Mouse

Video Expansion: Disabled

(on pg 6)

Intel Speedstep: Enabled

Wakeup on Lan: disabled

undocking method: Hot undock

Universal connect: disabled

Use Kalyway 10.5.2 install DVD.

These are you install choices. These are the ONLY selected options:

Speedstep kernel

sleep kernel

Natit ATI

All network drivers that start with "Apple"

Chipsets:

Onboard ATA

GenericPCATA

VIAATA

Apple APIC and Apple ACPI (need both)

Netkasssmbios flash option

Boot w/CPU=1 flag

Intel Memory controller

Done. Let it install. When finished do this:

Hit space bar on reboot to access boot options, enter single-user mode (-s) option.

Enter these commands:

/sbin/fsck -fy

/sbin/mount -uw /

passwd

(will prompt you twice for a password, this is the password for the user "root". This bypasses the setup loop)

touch /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext

exit

(system will continue to boot and you will be presented with the login screen)

Enter user "root" and the password you entered for the passwd command above.

You are done.

Now, there is a replacement AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext file on these forums. Just search for that and you'll find it. That will enable the ethernet port. You only need the BIOS setting to be disabled until you have completed the install, and removed the default kext file. After you remove it, you can enable the Lan Controller in the BIOS after you've installed the replacement kext.

Use the IWI2200 wireless drivers to enable wireless. Unfortunately, my 600m is one of the first ones with the Intel 2100 wireless in it, and the drivers so far do not work and cause it to barf. There is some development on them, but I'm not expecting much anytime soon.

There is a NEW Intel Speedstep Kext on these forums in the XLabs. Install that, and you can use the Sleepkernel as you default, and speedstep function is still present.

You can update to 10.5.5 using any of the patches for intel.

EDIT: New Voodoo beta 2 9.5 kernel works, if you set the "fsb" and "busratio" kernel options at boot. Mine would be: fsb=400000000 busratio=14 for my 1.4 M

enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I'm installing Leopard 10.5.1 from a Kalyway DVD onto an Inspiron 600m, I chose the default stuff. but when I install, I get an error saying "Mac OS X could not be installed on this computer restarting in -- seconds." Is there anything special that I should choose?

• 2 weeks later...
Because you didn't follow my directions above. Use the 10.5.2 disk, and choose exactly what I indicate above. Otherwise you may have trouble.

@Frayedends: (Just asking) Is Kalyway the only way to install OS X on a 600m? Or will things like iATKOS and Leo4All also work?

@Anyone having problems: You might want to look at this guide that I wrote for Vostro laptops. Mayby it works on Inspiron, depending on what model you have.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry965317

SS: Yes, Natit is needed from the start to get video working properly. Later you can update it to Callisto, but if you couldn't get it to load, something is up.

If you can boot into OSX, open a console, type (without quotes) "sudo -s" and enter your login password. Then type "dmesg" and copy the output here.

If you can't boot into OSX, try to -s into safe mode, and do fsck and mount, then dmesg and copy the output. Let's see what we can find.

----------------

Ryu, I was only able to boot into OSX using Kalyway's 10.5.2 install disk. I tried iDeneb, Leo4All, and some other one, but I couldn't get it running with the others.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I tried installing Kalyway 10.5.2 on my 600m to no avail and then I followed Frayedends' instructions to the letter but came up with the same results reported here.

the error message says:

Installation failed, Mac OS X could not be installed on your computer, The installer could not validate the contents of the "base system". Contact the software manufacturer for assistance. Click restart to restart your computer and try installing again

Any help would be appreciated.

One of a few things is causing that:

1. When you start the install, after selecting your options... are you letting OSX do the check on the media or are you skipping through that part? I skipped through.

2. If you're skipping, the DVD could be bad, or it could be the download you used. Either is possible.

3. You're having hardware check issues, like the guy in the linked post. I've seen that sort of problem before, where a RAM module has a few bad registers, it can corrupt a data transfer, or even the act of opening an archive and unpacking something it can be mis-written to disk. Since you can't pull all the ram, I'd suggest getting a ram testing utility off the internet and try that. Not much else you can do, unless you've got the ram upgrade it it, and you pull that module.

4. The drive is bad. Which means trying to do a network boot and install.

My guess.. Bad RAM, and that's bad. 600m's aren't exactly new, so bad RAM isn't such a far fetched problem.

Hey, I just read this thread and decided that I would go ahead and try this out with my Dell Inspiron 600m.

I updated the bios to A17, and configured it with the options just as Frayedends mentioned however I appear to be running into the following problem.

When I boot off the Kalyway 10.2 DVD - The ascii spinning progress type thing starts to spin but then it stops and more or less just hangs. I sometimes hear the computer as though it is trying to do something however it never progresses. I've left the computer at this point for 30 minutes and still no splash or install screen has come up to let me continue with the setup.

Any idea what might be causing this?

Thank you!

interesting. Burned it onto a differend dvd and it burned a lot quicker, even though it was on a lower burn setting.

Originally I burned it on a verbatim DVD-R at 8x and it took about 2 1/2 hrs to complete.

This time I burned it onto a Maxell DVD-R at 2x and it only took 1/2 an hr to burn and it's at least starting the install.

Yeah, I was going to suggest reburning at a slower rate. The drive in my dell has always had issues with some disks, where drives in desktops don't. If it's working now, great! Keep it going and it should work. Hopefully you have the IWI2200 wireless, cause it'll work for you then.

alright, so I've installed it on the 600m however after following the directions the following happens.

I type exit to get out of single user mode and the computer starts booting.

All of a sudden it basically appears that the LCD is bleeding, going from the black console like screen to a white screen, and then fading into a black screen (first time I saw this I thought maybe my monitor died).

Not sure if anyone else has run into this problem.

If I just do a regular boot - it hangs on the apple screen with the little progress circle running.

if I boot with a -v it boots but then it does the same thing as exiting from single user mode.

I'm assuming maybe this has something to do with when it tries to load the graphics.... how would I go about checking that?

Thanks!

thanks frayedends. Burning the DVD onto a different RW solved the problem and the install finished. While installing, I couldn't find anything that included both terms "natit" and "ati" when customizing, which I imagined to be part of the graphics cards options, so I did without either of them. Still, when loading it for the first (and second and third...) time at "-s" mode, I'm stuck at the lines:

MAC Framework successfully initialized

using 6553 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers

I looked that error up and found this thread. But I also found it giving problems loading in safe mode, barring the possibility of me upgrading it to 10.5.3. Thanks again.

@dawntodon

I had the same problem the first time I tried installing osx on my 600m. I went back and made sure that I got the correct options installed by following the instructions and noticed I missed some options. I would try installing it again and making sure you get the rigth options.

Some of the options aren't worded exactly the same way it shows up in the 10.5.2 kalyway dvd however if you check the ones that look right you should be good.

Hope this helps!

Ok.. so I tried to use Kalyway 10.5.2 Intel SSE2. I was able to to get to install screens, but it runs EXTREMELY slow as soon as I accept "Agreement" screen on my Dell 600m. I have done everything as suggested by Frayedends, but still gets the LONG beach ball(5-10 mins between screens). I really would like to get Leopard installed on this thing. I gave up, so I have successfully installed JaS 10.4.6 Intel with no problems, even got the wireless 2200BG driver working.

I can't stand 10.4.6 for many reasons as I remember having strange wireless/router problems(would disconnect my other Macs off of Airport and couldn't reconnect unless I unplugged/re-plugged my Router) with it on my iMac when I got it, so I REALLY would like to get 10.5.2 installed. Any info on how I can get this installed would be fantastic.

Also, if anyone has had any success with 10.4.9 or 10.4.11 on a Dell 600m let me know, as I would like to install some iLife '08 programs.

Dell 700m

BIOS A17

1.60 GHz Pentium M

512 RAM

ATI RADEON 9000

Sigmatel 9750

Intel Wireless 2200BG

Thanks,

Mr. Spaceman

@downtodun: Might wanna check your install again. If nothing else, re-partition the drive and run it again. I'd think there's something you might have missed, in the graphics area. The Natit ATI drivers are there, expand all the graphics trees and you'll see them.

@spaceagedevice: How much RAM does yours have? Mine has 512Mb, but I know some were produced with 256. That would cause it to run slower. Also, try cleaning your drive with some compressed air. My drive sucks too compared to other notebook drives, so I understand the slowness.

As for the beach ball effect, at what point does it stop moving forward in the installation? You can select the agreement, but does it move to the next screen, to select the components? Can you get to the reboot? I know I had skipped the verification portion of the install, where the media is verified. It was 2 hours into verification and only half way, so I skipped that step and I'd deal with it if it failed. I think the actual time copying files was a little over an hour and a half. It's a long install on a 600m lol

:wacko: i dont get this...... ahah well any way

iv installed with Leo4allv3 and i got the Buffers and headers error. Then i installed again selecting the Old APIC thig. now it gives me "Still wating for root device"

PLEASE HELP I RELY WANT THIS TO WORK AHAHA

;) i dont get this...... ahah well any way

iv installed with Leo4allv3 and i got the Buffers and headers error. Then i installed again selecting the Old APIC thig. now it gives me "Still wating for root device"

PLEASE HELP I RELY WANT THIS TO WORK AHAHA

And.......when i use platform=X86PC -v for the Still wating for root devise

i get

Darwin kernel version 9.2.0................. Bla bla blaaaaaaaa.

Again. Please help!!!!!!!!

EDIT:

I now have a Dell 600m running stable Leopard 10.5.5. Here's how to do it:

Update bios to A17.

Correct BIOS settings to use:

(on pg 3)

Boot Post: Minimal

Adapter warnings: disabled

Internal modem: disabled

Lan Controller: disabled

PXE BIS Policy: Accept

MiniPCI Status: Enabled

Wireless control: Application

Wireless: On.

(on pg 4)

Serial port: Disabled

Infrared data port: disabled

parallel mode: disabled

Keyboard click: disabled

num lock: disabled

Enabled Keypad: by Numlock

External Hot Key: Not installed

USB Emulation: Enabled

Pointing device: Touch Pad-/PS2 Mouse

Video Expansion: Disabled

(on pg 6)

Intel Speedstep: Enabled

Wakeup on Lan: disabled

undocking method: Hot undock

Universal connect: disabled

Use Kalyway 10.5.2 install DVD.

These are you install choices. These are the ONLY selected options:

Speedstep kernel

sleep kernel

Natit ATI

All network drivers that start with "Apple"

Chipsets:

Onboard ATA

GenericPCATA

VIAATA

Apple APIC and Apple ACPI (need both)

Netkasssmbios flash option

Boot w/CPU=1 flag

Intel Memory controller

Done. Let it install. When finished do this:

Hit space bar on reboot to access boot options, enter single-user mode (-s) option.

Enter these commands:

/sbin/fsck -fy

/sbin/mount -uw /

passwd

(will prompt you twice for a password, this is the password for the user "root". This bypasses the setup loop)

touch /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext

exit

(system will continue to boot and you will be presented with the login screen)

Enter user "root" and the password you entered for the passwd command above.

You are done.

Now, there is a replacement AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext file on these forums. Just search for that and you'll find it. That will enable the ethernet port. You only need the BIOS setting to be disabled until you have completed the install, and removed the default kext file. After you remove it, you can enable the Lan Controller in the BIOS after you've installed the replacement kext.

Use the IWI2200 wireless drivers to enable wireless. Unfortunately, my 600m is one of the first ones with the Intel 2100 wireless in it, and the drivers so far do not work and cause it to barf. There is some development on them, but I'm not expecting much anytime soon.

There is a NEW Intel Speedstep Kext on these forums in the XLabs. Install that, and you can use the Sleepkernel as you default, and speedstep function is still present.

You can update to 10.5.5 using any of the patches for intel.

EDIT: New Voodoo beta 2 9.5 kernel works, if you set the "fsb" and "busratio" kernel options at boot. Mine would be: fsb=400000000 busratio=14 for my 1.4 M

enjoy!

Beautiful... followed your Guide to a T and had no problems whatsoever... Thanks for all your help!