Best Software for Video Conversion

Kris123

8 posts in this topic

What is the best software for video conversion in a Mac. I am specifically looking for a software like Nero recode in a PC that allows me to convert either the entire movie in a DVD or portions of it into whatever format I wish like avi, mp4 etc.

If the DVD ripper also has a vide conversion tool (convert from avi to mpeg or to mp4 and vice-versa) that'll be great.

Please suggest if you know any. Thanks.

What is the best software for video conversion in a Mac. I am specifically looking for a software like Nero recode in a PC that allows me to convert either the entire movie in a DVD or portions of it into whatever format I wish like avi, mp4 etc.

If the DVD ripper also has a vide conversion tool (convert from avi to mpeg or to mp4 and vice-versa) that'll be great.

Please suggest if you know any. Thanks.

Try using VisualHub - it has all the conversion files you need and mentioned (Converts Quicktime to iTunes Video, PSP, DV, DVD, AVI, MP4 WMV, MPEG and FLV vice-versa).

Try the downloadable demo at the Apple Downloads site.

Cheers and Goodluck!

Here's what I do:

1. Use MacTheRipper to put the DVD on the hard drive. While it might be a useless step, if it doesn't decode the disc, I know I'll have a little more trouble with it than normal.

2. Then, I will use Handbrake to convert it to an MP4 file. I can either do the entire thing or just certain chapters. Why MP4? Because it's a compact file and I can then stream it to my XBox using Connect360.

In windows there is a little program called DVD43 that stays in you system tray and removes protection from DVD's once inserted into the drive. Is there a similar program for mac that can remove protection from DVDs?

1. Use MacTheRipper to put the DVD on the hard drive.

• 2 weeks later...

I am also looking for a good DVD to AVI, DVD to Divx, DVD to Xvid, DVD to MOV etc etc. From there I can figure out what to do. Anyhow here is my list and any comments?

ffmpegX

Cinematize

ffmpegx seems fast and fairly good transcoding back to AVI. I like to Trim the video and you can Trim and Crop on ffmpegX but its kinda slow and difficult to move the markers around.

I have not tried Cinematize, Mac The Ripper, DVD Ripper nor Handbrake or VisualHub.

Will any of these allow you to trim the Video first then convert as ffmpegX does? Like I said on ffmpegX its not easy to move the markers on the exact area you want to trim but it can be done. How easy is it to use trimming on the others and how good is the transcoding in reverse? What I mean in reverse is we normally go from AVI to DVD transcoding.

Anhow hope someone is still listening on this thread for more input!!

Is there a forum for this like the one afterdawn? Not sure if afterdawn is more PC oriented forum but it has everything you need to know about Video editing and production hands down the best forum for this but not sure if it goes into any details on mac Video Applications?