Linux Needs...

Swad

22 posts in this topic

Here's an interesting survey done by Novell to see what applications people wanted most in Linux. Here's the list they came up with.

The top 10 applications (after 31 days of voting) are as follows:

Photoshop

Autocad

Dreamweaver

iTunes

Macromedia Studio

Flash

Quicken

Visio

Quickbooks

Lotus Notes

I'm personally surprised that AutoCAD was so high, but can mostly understand the rest. Lotus notes? Is that still around? I'm still waiting for a port of Internet Explorer... gah, what a browser... :hysterical:

Photoshop & AutoCAD could well be killer apps for linux, Photoshop in particular was one reason that kept me from adopting linux as my main OS. Flash I can also understand, but the rest appear to do things that can be done by other linux tools... A good linux setup is damn near to being all you need.. Yet, everytime I try to adopt it for everyday use, something brings me back to a commercial OS.. close, so very close.....

Shouldnt be Dreamweaver/Flash be included within Macromedia Studio ? Well if they were ported to linux, Photoshop would certainly be ported too, doesnt make sense for Adobe to port one suite and left Photoshop behind.

I think linux only lacks of a good graphic editor, dont get me wrong ... Gimp is cool and i work with it, but, its no Macrodobe Fireworks!. Even 3D software has a good tool in Blender 3D, why dont 2D has it too ? :)

All my tools are freeware/open source, i guess it would be Nero ( ok ok i know it has already a linux version .. but c'mon .. u guys could do better Nero AG !! ), a good full featured burning app - with a gui - would be a killer, burning my dvd's through the console is a pain in the arse tbh.

I wish Linux wasn't so anal retentive about ownership. I can do things with partitions, volumes, login settings, user accounts, what have you with my admin account on OS X, but not be in danger of running a rogue shell script that will wipe the system. All serious functions double-check for admin password before they're allowed to perform potentially fatal functions, even when run on an admin login.

I also wish Linux live distros (like Ubuntu) let me know what the live password is for root. I have to go through what seems like 400 questions to get live running in expert mode, creating an admin password of MY choosing.

All because the default user can't mount an NTFS volume without root password. What is so evil about mounting a read-only partition that it needs to be this anal retentive, especially on a live CD?

Basically, my problems with Linux is they seem to be even more brainless about user friendliness and ease of use than even DOS is.

Any operating system that requires users understand editing and recompiling kernel extensions and editing entries in plist files is too nerdy for me to take seriously.

I wish Linux "just worked" more like OS X.

I have to agree. I run Linux but although I am Unix trained and know my way around I have grown fed up of Linux because of all the reasons already given in this thread. It can be ridiculously complicated to do some relatively trivial things, almost as if the nerds who wrote some bits want to keep it exclusive to nerds and geeks. Although I hate to say so, I think Windows is a reasonable middle-ground between the over-simplicity of the Mac and the over-complexity of Linux.

Lotus Notes? Yes, I'd like to see it on Linux. Like many corporate users I have Notes for both Mac and Windows and use it every day. I've grown to love it - I even went on a Notes programming course a while back so I use seriously modified mail templates, much to my colleagues' envy and frustration (I strip 'return receipt' and 'prevent print/copy' from all my mail). I have never used Outlook - I remove it from my Windows installations with nLite - and I have Eudora for POP mail. I think I avoided Outlook just because it was a MS product that was 'forced' on me with the OS and I didn't know what it was doing behind the scenes.

Photoshop is a mainstay for my work, so I have to use a platform on which it runs. I actually prefer the interface of the Windows version, but it's much faster on my G5.

For cd/dvd burning, have you tried k3b? http://www.k3b.org/

No i actually haven't, simply because i dont use linux as a desktop os for so long ( i use it for my home servers, actually a cluster of them - for my compiling needs =P ), why would i use linux if i hv Mac OS X =D :whistle:

I must also agree with the opinion that sometimes linux can be a pain in the arse with so trivial operations that even a small program with a one-button-ui could perform, but hey, cant have it all can we :P

• 1 month later...

More financial and statistical program would be cool.

In particular, I vouch for SPSS and EViews (Linux has PSPP but that just suck).

And also, the ability to run VBA that was meant for MS Office (I know this is impossible, but hey... it's a daylight wondering )

I had Suse installed for like a month. I actually found it quite nice. But wht seriously prevented me from using it was games. Someone should build a version of Linux specifiacly for games. A version that includes only the bare neccesities. Purely optimized to run games. I guess then maybe my three year old PC could give a Xbox a run for its money.

I know i am dreaming coz no DirectX etc etc. But hey theres always that app from crossover office ppl. I forget wht its called

I mean seriously it would give me atleast 20-40% increase in performance coz windowze wont hog up 400 mb ram

burning my dvd's through the console is a pain in the arse tbh.

Wow, you honestly burn dvds with the console? O_o

K3B, Graveman, Gnomebaker, etc :D

I also wish Linux live distros (like Ubuntu) let me know what the live password is for root. I have to go through what seems like 400 questions to get live running in expert mode, creating an admin password of MY choosing.

I dont know about any other distros, but I do know all you need to do is a simple command that is in the ubuntu guide to set the root password.

Any operating system that requires users understand editing and recompiling kernel extensions and editing entries in plist files is too nerdy for me to take seriously.

I used linux and it worked great. I know nothing about editing or compiling anything to do with the kernel, or anything else for that matter. I dont know what a plist is ether.

OSX just works because it is on apple hardware and is really integrated and stuff. Now, take that away, and youve got OSx86 =P Works great for some, but needs alot of other work for others. (Like kext, whatever that is :D)

The top 10 applications (after 31 days of voting) are as follows:

I dont see what is so great about photoshop, but I do know people like it alot.

And iTunes...? Why? It is horrible. If anything, foobar2000 should be ported instead :thumbsup_anim:

I wish Linux wasn't so anal retentive about ownership. I can do things with partitions, volumes, login settings, user accounts, what have you with my admin account on OS X, but not be in danger of running a rogue shell script that will wipe the system. All serious functions double-check for admin password before they're allowed to perform potentially fatal functions, even when run on an admin login.

All because the default user can't mount an NTFS volume without root password. What is so evil about mounting a read-only partition that it needs to be this anal retentive, especially on a live CD?

Basically, my problems with Linux is they seem to be even more brainless about user friendliness and ease of use than even DOS is.

how long have you been on linux?

all that requires you to be good @ linux is reading 1 linux book, really.

the ownership is ez, expecially if ur the only user on ur pc :), just type chmod 777 for a file that's not important. and Ubuntu is a debian base. so if u want to become root, dont go su and then password

jsut type chmod and then the w/e as the argument.

so it'll be sudo mount ____ ____

not that hard :)

anyways... i just want My Photoschop CS2 :), i can sorta use GIMP, but i like PS :)

I certainly would put my vote in for number two on the list, AutoCAD. Far from everyone needs it, but when you do, there isn't anything comparable on Linux (or the Mac). Many years ago, AutoCAD did run under a few different *nix variants. From what I remember, I thought they had a Mac version for a little while too. With Linux's popularity, I would think Autodesk would consider a Linux version. Due to the very un-mac interface, I doubt it would ever be back on a mac again. Or if it was, it wouldn't gain much of a following. Revit on the Mac would be awesome though, and would probably take a chunk out of the ArchiCAD Mac following.

A native MS Office wasn't on the top ten. Can you imagine Micro$oft doing a version for Linux? :( Just out of spite, I don't think they would ever do it, unless Linux takes over the WORLD! :gun:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm willing to forget the applications for now. I have a big issue about fonts & antialiasing. Why in the world doesn't X.org install fonts that the rest of the world uses? Bitmap-fonts, truetype-fonts, and type1-fonts have to be compiled in order to have a good experience with browsing the web and workgin with documents. AntiAliasing needs to be enabled in order to look at the screen on a laptop wthout hurling.

And if that's not enough, once you configure Gnome use the fonts and size you like, you'll have to go to KDE if you have that installed. No wonder Linux just can't get the edge on OS X or Windows, at least not for the new 3 or 4 years. Yes, I know it's easy to rpm -i from Fedora, Synaptec in Debian, and emerge in Gentoo, but tell that to someone with less than 6 months experience with Linux.

To me it only misses Autocad, Solidworks, SPSS, and Adobe/Macromedia stuffs.

I would use none of them (Gimp is far enought for me if you wonder) but Solidworks is what definitevely keep my father from switching. Same for SPSS with another person I know. Etc.

(Dar)Wine is good. It's only weak point for average joe is that (Dar)wine's applications look ugly as Windows 95. There is no reason at it.

But at least it works. :D

3DS Max + the clustering software for 3DS Max. I know Blender 3D is an alternative but I'd have to relearn a lot. Autocad would be another great port to Linux, along with DirectX + all the video games. It's never going to happen, but I can always dream. ;)

I'm personally surprised that AutoCAD was so high, but can mostly understand the rest. Lotus notes? Is that still around? I'm still waiting for a port of Internet Explorer... gah, what a browser... :)

I'm actually kinda forced to use autcad in my study... it's the only program installed on the schoolcomputers to make our technical drawings.

Yes I said forced, I think autocad is a piece of {censored} software, if I compare it's stability and usability to other programs. IMHO. :D

I think Linux is mature enough as a desktop OS, yet it's just the hardware manufacturers are locked by M$ so we Linux users don't get popular.

All Windows games should be able to run on Linux, now that would be "sick"!

deltatux

I use crossover office, it's a awesome application using wine. I'm reliably running ps7 (nothing newer though), ie6, itunes (no ipod sync though), and a few "unsupported" apps like Newsleacher, quick par, and dbpoweramp. And lot of those apps listed in the first post are listed as supported by the app.

I highly recommend it.

• 2 weeks later...
Why use iTunes when you have amaroK :D

Because it's {censored}. I prefer Kaffeine, but it's still inferior compared to iTunes.

I had Suse installed for like a month. I actually found it quite nice. But wht seriously prevented me from using it was games. Someone should build a version of Linux specifiacly for games. A version that includes only the bare neccesities. Purely optimized to run games. I guess then maybe my three year old PC could give a Xbox a run for its money.

I know i am dreaming coz no DirectX etc etc. But hey theres always that app from crossover office ppl. I forget wht its called

I mean seriously it would give me atleast 20-40% increase in performance coz windowze wont hog up 400 mb ram

Just use a console for gaming.

...developers should use OpenGL instead of DirectX.

I think Linux is mature enough as a desktop OS, yet it's just the hardware manufacturers are locked by M$ so we Linux users don't get popular.

(...)

I disagree. The GNU/Linux community don't understand the user and don't code and design useful, consistent, aesthetic interfaces for he/she.