[HOWTO] Acer Aspire 5050 (5051AWXMi)

-SkG-

24 posts in this topic

Hi, here a little guide to install Leopard 10.5.1 into Acer Aspire 5050 series. I'm spanish, my english isn't very good.

Acer Aspire 5051 AWXMi hardware:

• AMD Turion 64 Mobile MK36 (2.0 GHz, 512KB L2 cache)
  • 1024Mb RAM DDR2 (2x512Mb)
  • ATI Radeon XPRESS x1100 128Mb shared memory
  • WiFi 802.11b/g - Broadcom 4318
  • 120 GB Hard Disc (Western Digital - WD1200UE - WD Scorpio)
  • Combo DVD: MATA{censored}A DVD-RAM UJ-850S (CD: -R -RW DVD: -R -R DL -RW +R +R DL +RW -RAM)
  • LAN Realtek
  • Synaptics Touchapd
  • 56k Modem
  • 14,1" WXGA TFT
  • 5 in 1 Card Reader
  • Acer Orbicam (Webcam)

Things that you need:

• Zephyroth Leopard 10.5.1 AMD
  • Acer Aspire 5051 files: Mirror 1 Mirror 2 [v.4 - ~3.76MB]

Let's go!

1. Put the files you dowloaded in a USB Memory (PenDrive). It dont need to be empty, only must be in FAT32 or HFS.
  2. Install Leopard from the DVD using the options that you want.
  3. Boot again with the DVD, when you selected the language and you see again the installer go to Utilities > Terminal
    cp -Rf /Volumes/Your_PenDrive/AppleOnboardPCATA.kext /Volumes/Your_Mac_HD/System/Extensions/AppleOnboardPCATA.kext
    cp -Rf /Volumes/Your_PenDrive/ApplePS2Controller.kext /Volumes/Your_Mac_HD/System/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext
    /Volumes/Your_Mac_HD/usr/bin/open /Volumes/PenDrive/IOATAFamily.pkg
    /Volumes/Your_Mac_HD/usr/bin/open /Volumes/PenDrive/ATI_ATA.pkg
    touch /Volumes/Your_Mac_HD/System/Extensions/
    chmod -R 755 /Volumes/Your_Mac_HD/System/Extensions/
    chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/Your_Mac_HD/System/Extensions/
  4. Reboot your computer and boot Leopard, it must work now.
  5. Now we are going to install some drivers:
    • Audio: ALC883Audio.mpkg or Azalia_audio.pkg: With the first one don't works with the speakers, only wit headphone. With the second one don't work audio input. (I have the second one)
    • AppleACPIPlatform.pkg and Power_Management.pkg: ACPI and Battery.
    • Callisto.kext and CallistoHAL.kext they are from Callisto v003 but they are already patched for ATI Radeon XPRESS 200M/x1100 (No QE, Software CI)
      Drag and Drop them to Kext Helper, put your password and click on "EASY INSTALL".
    • IOPCCardFamily.kext and IOPCIFamily.kext: PCMCIA controller.
      Drag and Drop them to Kext Helper, put your password and click on "EASY INSTALL".

[*]Reboot

[*]Now you should be able to change the resolution of the screen, lisen sounds, use PCMCIA and see the battery indicator.

[*]Enjoy

Known issues:

• No QE
  • Camera detected as USB Camera but not working.
  • Card reader don't work.
  • Modem don't works (anyone will use this?).

I'm trying to enable QE if I find a solution I'll update the post.

I hope that this howto can be usefull for someone.

Edit 1: I forget to add ApplePS2Controller.kext to get working Keyboard and Touchpad. Sry! Now is in the zip file ^^

Edit 2: Updated: Now you can install Leopard to the Hard Disk ^^ (If there are any problem let me know)

Edit 3: Updated: I uploaded a new .zip file with PCMCIA drivers, it should work but I dont tested it because I dont have a PCMCIA card.

Edit 3: Updated: New .zip the old didn't work well, some files were corrupt (i did the .zip file with Windows, now with Mac OS ;))

Edit 4 (11/04/2008): Sorry for the unanswered PMs, I havent got time to answer them due exams and work. And I have space problems in the laptop and I decided to uninstall Mac, I must work with Linux and Windows... Sorry... If I have got some time (I think that is imposible...) I can try to install again MacOS in an old 80GB HD that I have.

Enable QE/CI on ATI x1x00 Video Cards (Leopard) - reposted link below.

h**p://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=69345&pid=492434&mode=threaded&start=0#entry492434

-SkG- if you know how to install witchout USB H.D.D (Acer 5051) please let me know on nexus2k[at]gmail.com

Thank you for good TUTORIAL

Really you can I think.

Install leopard into the hard disc and when the setup is finished if dont works you must run the installation DVD again with an USB Memory with the files: IOATAFamily.pkg, ATI_ATA.pkg and AppleOnboardPCATA.kext

Then open the Terminal located in Utilities and do this:

cp -Rf /Volumes/PenDrive/AppleOnboardPCATA.kext /Volumes/Your_Mac_HD/System/Extensions/AppleOnboardPCATA.kext

/Volumes/Your_Mac_HD/usr/bin/open /Volumes/PenDrive/IOATAFamily.pkg

/Volumes/Your_Mac_HD/usr/bin/open /Volumes/PenDrive/ATI_ATA.pkg

touch /Volumes/Your_Mac_HD/System/Extensions/

chmod -R 755 /Volumes/Your_Mac_HD/System/Extensions/

chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/Your_Mac_HD/System/Extensions/

Plz if you try it say here to update the guide. Anyway, it must work.

Hello everybody aspire 5051's users...

As we know, the most important thing for mac osx is the graphics acceleration qe/ci, so the question is, it would be possible to enable them in our ATI radeon xpress 1100??????

I read the link from nexus2k7, but I can't find anything for xpress 1100, anyone find a driver for?

Thanksss!! Hope, hope and more hope...

And in this blog is the new 10.5.2 dvd...

http://osx86support.blogspot.com/search/label/Hackintosh

:)

To inimachi , what leopard version are you installing? It may be a bad disk or a bad disk image. Try to burn the image again with another software.

regarding QE\CI see this http://osx.kbot.de/comments.php?DiscussionID=181&page=1

but i've been told that's very difficult to succeed..

I don't know of other solutions at the moment. And it's a pity.

I'm trying to install Zeph. 10.5.2 but I'm having a lot of problems.. I had to erase the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext that was causing kernel panic and to copy the AppleOnboardPCATA.kext (taken from this great -SkG- guide), but i can't start the post installation registering procedure. :)

I think that it's an Installation DVD problem

The 10.5.1 works perfectly except the Video QE\CI (however i get the 1280 resolution) and the Wi-fi Atheros 5005g.

Hi!

Thanks for the wonderful tutorial!

I am tryng to install your patches (with Osx 10.5.2 Zephyrot) on a Acer Aspire 5050 but i cannot copy all the patches on appropiate folders (message: no such directory).

I was also made some experiments with little changes on the folder's names (like "Sistema" for "System" because i'm italian ;)) ....but nothing.

The strange is thath i have installed the .pkg with exactly your instructions!

There is an alternative method also to the shell?

Whath i can do?

Thanks.

Hello everybody, anyone has find out a solution for ACPI/Battery problem for Aspire 5051/AMD Turion 64?? The cpu-processor nerver stops and it's really noisy, ventilators never stop, temperatures increase too much... that's not good... (in xp it doesn't happen). I've tried the drivers you post but it doesn't works. Any help?

My specs. (Acer Apire 5051 AWXMI):

• AMD Turion 64 Mobile MK36 (2.0 GHz, 512KB L2 cache) working
  • 1024Mb RAM DDR2 (2x512Mb) working
  • ATI Radeon XPRESS x1100 128Mb shared memory: waiting for a driver, using callisto modified 1280x800, NO QE/CI.
  • ACPI/Battery: not working, can't fix it
  • 120 GB Hard Disc (Samsung HM120JI): working native using patches from TUXER post-vmware installation (UPHUCK 10.4.9 v.1.3)
  • SOUND Realtek: working only headphones (ALC883Audio.mpkg) or only speakers (Azalia_audio.pkg)
  • WiFi 802.11b/g - Atheros: working using IO80211Family.kext from 10.4.5
  • Combo DVD (Pioner DVD-RW DVR-K17RS): working
  • LAN Realtek: working using PCGenRTL8139Ethernet-1.2.0
  • Synaptics Touchapd: working
  • 14,1" WXGA TFT: working
  • Acer Orbicam (Webcam): don't find drivers
  • 5 in 1 Card Reader: don't use it
  • 56k Modem: don't use it
  • Systems: XP/OSX 10.4.9(Uphuck v.1.3)

To Maursac:

Ok. It's suposed that you've installed successfully leopard but you can't boot it, isn't it?

1º Boot into Windows xp (press any key in the Darwin and select your xp partition)

2º Install under xp VMWare Workstation v.6

3º Create a new virtual machine: select 'other' as operating system. Edit the configuration of your virtual machine and delete the HD. Create a new one with 'use entire hard disk' persistent (the key), use at least 512MB ram. Delete any Floppy, modem or LAN. Now it's prepared.

4º Run your virtual machine and boot OSX86.

If it's works, then you can use the terminal and apply the patches without problems. After that, shutdown osx86(under vmware), reboot your computer and that's it. It should works now natively.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I'm having some trouble installing on my aspire 5051AWXMi.

It's the same specs as in the tutorial except my HDD is a Hitachi HTS541612J9SA00

My hard disk is not showing up as an installable location or on the disk utility.

Any ideas about how to get it to work?

Thanks in advance!

Hi, hola, soy español y no hay manera de hacer funcionar mi tarjeta wifi Broadcom en mi Acer 5051. Por favor, una ayudita... Otra cosa, ¿Porqué no se para el ventilador del portatil? se pone muy muy caliente. Un saludo a todos y gracias...

• 2 weeks later...

i have an aspire 5050 travelmate and when i load leopard 10.5.1. osx it cannot find my keyboard.

i have followed your guide and in terminal i get erors like - target not found. illegall etc.

my pendrive usb is found as VOLUMES/NO NAME/ (under disk utitlity)

when i enter this is says no volume...........if i type no_name same thing.

the disk is disk1s1...tjhis doesnt work either.

how do i identify the usb flash drive i you commands in your guide?????????

i tried another command i found on another sikte just to get the keyboard working:

cp -Rf /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext /Volumes/leopard//System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext

it doesnt work either !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i am dual booting with vista and all seems ok except when i boot mac os x it cant find my keyboard

Everything works for me like everything else here except the power meter I have working.

To follow what I did:

-Follow the guide from -SkG- (installing the drivers etc)

-Once done, Goto System Preferences>Energy Saver>Options (tab)> and tick 'Show battery status in menu bar'.

-Quit that and restart.

-Once the battery indicator is there, rather horribly disconnect the power lead AND BATTERY WHILE MAC OS IS ON.

-Plug in the battery and start the system with the power lead in.

-Turn air port on once loaded, and now the battery indicator worked for me ;)

Can anyone else replicate this?

• 10 months later...

Hi,

I have an Acer 5050-4835

Similar features that yours, but for some reason, after installing (apply the patch) and boot the machine..

The Notebook shows Apple Logo, but a few minutes later it shows a DISABLED icon...

I don't know why is happening this,

Some help ?

thanks,

BsRgrds.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...