AFP Connection Problems

bobbydmarriott

45 posts in this topic

No I did not uninstall the old driver before installing those 2 kext.. its quite magic I can't believe its all working that great lol

I still have an issue with at boot since 10.5.2, its taking way more time than before (like 90sec instead of 30sec), it seems to hand on something and a "forbidden" symbol appear for about 30sec before loading interface, but thats an other story.

Same issue here, with DS3R mobo.

I'm sure it comes from the RTL8169 plugin in stock ionetworking

that's why we dont have server discovering problem with DaemonES Realtek R1000 driver. But this one dont support DHCP and have some bug.

Yes perhaps EFI strinf is needed to pass more info for the stock driver ??? Or simply this plugin dont support well RTL8111b chip which is on our mobo (not the 8169)

:(

I am not having any boot problems, and I am not using my Mobo network chip, I am using a D-Link DGE 530T Gigabit PCI card with MOBO hard disabled. I am able to load the kexts normally either as installers, or with Kext Helper. I am becoming more convinced that my issue is more related to the IONetworking configuration file since I am getting great AFP performance from my Macs to my Hack, and great performance by SMB in both directions. I would like to get Bonjour/AFP running so I can share files with my Apple TV, though as I posted previosly, the AppleTV syncing works.

I will keep tinkering, maybe I will find the right setting change yet.

So how do I fix this: localhost mDNSResponder[46]: SetDomainSecrets: mDNSKeychainGetSecrets failed error 0 CFArrayRef 00000000

After installation I booted with the cd and fixed permission but once I restart I get stuck with the same error mentioned above? Is there a fix for this or?

I have a p5k-e wifi. I have no drop-outs with ethernet but but incoming afp is broken. smb is ok though. I have used the pk-e patch with the IONetworkingFamily.kext.

Updating to 10.5.2 did not help and now I have the 2 minute black screen at boot even though I am running the vanilla 10.5.2 kernal.

Ok, finally figured out how to get my AFP connections working. I had to reenable the onboard lan card in the Bios, because I had originally turned it off when I installed my DGE 530t because I was getting conflicts. Once it was reenabled, and I got a marginally working driver for it (since I am not using it), I am getting decent AFP connections. The problem I have now is that I am getting network drops when I connect to my USB media drive that is connected to another real mac in my house and playing large video files. I am still curious if it is an issue because my mac is looking for the en0 adapter, which is the onboard 100tx nic which was disabled, and is actually using the en1 nic which is online. I know I am getting closer, but the network card compatibility stuff is really frustrating.

Does anyone know how to swap your network adaptors so En0 is my DGE 530t and EN1 is the onboard card?

Rob

• 3 weeks later...

By any chance any of you having the problem has the mac address on your en0 as 00:00:00:00:00:00?

You can check it by issuing the command in the terminal "ifconfig en0 | grep ether".

I had the same problem as you guys did and I noticed the mac address shown above. A quick change by issuing the command

"sudo ifconfig en0 lladdr xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx" <--- replace the xx's with your actual mac address if you know or any arbitrary hex value

in terminal fixed my problem. Now I can browse my shares without enabling samba/smb. Only caveat is, your network card must support mac address spoofing for the command to work. I still have to find a way for this to stick across reboots but wth, it's osx, who needs to reboot? :(

Does anyone know how to swap your network adaptors so En0 is my DGE 530t and EN1 is the onboard card?

Rob

try:

go to /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration and find NetworkInterfaces.plist

back it up.

the open useing terminal and sudo nano command.

then swipe the en0 to en1 and also the accompanying number listed in IOInterfaceUnit.

Hi guys, more of a lurker and learner here. A noob if you will.

I had similar networking issues concerning iTunes sharing, screen sharing, bonjour and AFP, I have 4 other real Macs here.

My setup is a Gigabyte P35 DS3L - E4500 C2D 2.2GHz @ 2.56GHz - 2GB 667MHz DDR2 - 8400GS 256MB PCIe - 160GB SATA - Apple (Pioneer) DVR109 IDE DVDRW, with Kalaway 10.5.2.

The DS3* boards use a Realtek NIC which needs a patch to get everything functioning the Apple way.

I installed the .kext from this thread and everything seems to work fine after a reboot , Screen Sharing and AFP definitely work and will try printing etc. later.

My only issue now is KPs using Parallel Desktop . . . . sigh !

Thanks to everyone here for the great support while getting my Hack working ! ;)

Ken

• 11 months later...

hi there,

I've had the exact same trouble as well. Actually, I had similar trouble twice, and the solutions were different:

- Make sure you have the right kext's installed (see post 18). What may help is to use OSX86 Tools, and download the correct kext's automatically (that app will propose to get several kexts for all your hardware, I deselected the rest, as only my ethernet was concerned).

- Then, in my second encounter of the same trouble, the solution was to delete (ok, rename to something else as a backup) NetworkInterfaces.plist (see post 36 for info on where to find it), then reboot. Then, open network preferences, and activate your newly found onboard ethernet.

Let me explain the second solution (the first is obvious). I initially had installed mac os on some HDD on some motherboard, but then replaced the motherboard by an identical copy. This changed the ID of the onboard ethernet, which as a consequence got a new number (en4 or something) in my os. Apparently, AFP does not work if your primary network conrtoller is not en0. For me, fixing that by hand as in post 36 did not help. Deleting it, rebooting, and let OS X to the plug and me do the pray, worked.

Cheers!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am coming back to the first problem in this thread which was:

- AFP connections from "Computer name" to all other Macs work

- All other Macs show "Computer name" in the sidebar

- All other Macs can control "Computer name" by "Back to my Mac"

- All other Macs cannot connect to "Computer name" via AFP

"Computer name" was a new machine installed via iDeneb 10.5.5. (updated to 10.5.7 via Combo) and then restored via Migration Assistant from a Time Machine Backup from another machine. Of course I corrected the network name, which was first "[Old Computername] (2)".

I solved the problem by deleting any network related plist in the "Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration" directory. After a restart the network device was listed but could not receive an IP via DHCP. So I deleted the network device from the list in System Configuration/Network and re-installed the en0 device from the gear button.

That did the trick. I immediately got an IP and could connect via AFP from the other Macs.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't connect to my iMac from my hackintosh. Both are 10.5.7.

The Finder cannot complete the operation because some data in afp:192.168.0.100 could not be read or written. (Error code -36).

This happens with AFP. But SMB works great. But I don't like it. ¬¬

My PC is:

iATKOS v7

AMD Athlon64 3000+ (754 - SSE2)

Voodoo 9.7.0

LAN VIA Rhine II

Audio AC97

GeForce 6800 XT AGP 512MB - Natit CI/QE

HD Sata - Dvd Pata

1GB DDR400

PLEASE HEEEELP!!! =/

• 3 months later...

To fix AFP-Connections to other Macs you have still open terminal and write down the following lines:

cd /usr/sbin
sudo rm AppleFileServer
sudo ln -s /System/Library/CoreServices/AppleFileServer.app/Contents/MacOS/AppleFileServer
sudo unlink /System/Library/Filesystems/afpfs.fs

Good Luck :D

• 1 month later...

Try to delete /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.network.identification.plist

and /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist (as JeanLuc7 propose)

(keep a copy on your desktop)

Reboot,

Goto System Preferences --> Network and Voila , new network interfaces and AFP, Frontrow, etc.. all

of them functions well.