AFP Connection Problems

bobbydmarriott

45 posts in this topic

Greetings all.

I have had a nearly flawless installation with Kalyway 10.5.1 on a Compaq with E2140 with the vanilla kernel. I upgraded the network adapter to a D-link DGE 530T, and got it "mostly" working with using the SKGE-E.kext driver available elsewhere in this forum. My Hack Mac is joining a family of 3 other networked Macs that are used as either office or media PCs. For some reason, the original macs recognize the hackintosh under "Shared" in the finder, but when you click on it, it doesn't connect with any of the shares. If I do the same thing from the hackintosh, it connects nearly instantly to any of the other computers on the network. Screen sharing also works flawlessly both ways, so I know that I have a good connection. I can also get a good connection to the shares on the Hackintosh using an SMB connection, but I was hoping to continue to use the auto connect features built into finder of Leopard.

Thanks in advance!

Same problem here, but only when the osx-firewall is enabled. when its off, afp works flawlessly. so maybe this is a os-related bug and we just have to wait for 10.5.2? time will tell i think ;-)

Thanks for the replies!! It is nice to know that I am not alone. I will have to check the firewall thing. I wonder if this is a "feature" of the mac firewall to protect OS X from being entered by another computer on the same network that is not a mac, or if it is inadvertent.Time will tell!!

Quick update. Firewall is off on both ends of the connection on my Macs and my Hack, so it probably isn't the firewall, unless you meant the firewall at your router. At least SMB works, so I am still up and running. Can't beat 380 bucks for a standalone Mac Media Server that can spend its days encoding what it records and serving it up to the other Macs and AppleTVs throughout the house.

Same problem here and its anoying, can't add a shared printer because of this problem..

I do sometimes see other macs at startup on my hackintosh but when I click on them connection fail as if the IP linked to the name was wrong or something.. Same thing from the real macs.

I am using a D-Link DIR-655. Look at my signature for info about my hacintosh and others macs on my LAN.

I have tried correcting permissions on both the real and hack macs as well, and this had no effect. I have also tried directly dialing in an AFP connection through the finder in case it was some type of error with the address, and it was a no go. Two other things that are interesting that I have found is that as I have said before, the Apple Screen Sharing (VNC) works even though the Shared Drive Connection fails (access permission issue)? Connection by SMB works great, and I am getting full benefit of my Gigabit LAN. The new thing that I have found is that my Apple TV will sync to the Hackintosh's iTunes and load music and videos up to its 40 gigs of memory, but it cannot share files (stream) from the hackintosh. I have to stream from one of the other computers on my network.

Do any of you think there is anything else we can try, or is this a sit and wait for 10.5.2 since it seems like the AFP sharing is still buggy on real macs?

Rob

Hackintosh : OSX 10.5.1

Pentium Dual Core E2140 @ 1.6GHZ, Lancaster G8 Mobo (Compaq), PNY GeForce 8400GS 256MB, Belkin DGE 530T Gigabit Ethernet.

Real Macintosh : OSX 10.5.1

Powerbook G4 12", Mac Mini G4 1.42, iMac 17" (intel core duo), AppleTV 40 gig.

Try with the IP adress, like afp://192.168.0.197, its working for me and I can then access via AFP and it does shows as the actual computer name in the finder after (say G4-Home or Macbook).

I guess it must be something quite simple to fix but I go no clue where to look at eh.

Just tried again as you suggested, and it is a no go, but if I switch it to SMB://192.168.0.197, it works fine. The thing that is different for me is that the Hackintosh always shows up in the finder, but when you click on it, you cannot connect to any of the shares, which makes me wonder if it is still a permissions related issue. The SMB shows up in the finder as well, and then works fine. But if it were a permissions issue, and that were the case, why would SMB work, and why can the AppleTV find the same computer and sync to it? Does the AppleTV use SMB or FTP and not AFP for syncing, but AFP for streaming?

Very Strange Glitch, and I agree, that it is probably a simple setting change in one of the info.plist files related to networking, but I don't know enough about "what not to change" to start tinkering with these since everything else is working fine. Unless I get some help from somebody that knows a lot more, I will wait it out for 10.5.2 to arrive.

10.5.2 update. I have a working 10.5.2 w/ graphics update on my system, and this lingering AFP problem remains. It has got to be something simple in one of the I/O related Kexts. Anybody got any hints on where to look. The Hack shows up in Finder fine under the shared drives on my other 3 real macs, but can't open any of the disks on the computer. SMB works fine. AFP out from the Hack to the other works fine. Screen sharing works fine.

Same thing with 10.5.2 here too

From boot log, I noticed an error related to network initialization ;

08-02-12 17:49:18 mDNSResponder[35] mDNS_SetSecretForDomain: ERROR: Could not convert shared secret from base64: domain . key jeanphilippe.

Which I am pretty sure is the source of our problem ; (from apple doc)

2. What is mDNSResponder?

mDNSResponder is a Bonjour system service that implements Multicast DNS Service Discovery for discovery of services on the local network, and Unicast DNS Service Discovery for discovery of services anywhere in the world. mDNSResponder is built into Mac OS X and can be downloaded as part of Bonjour for Windows. Applications like iTunes, iPhoto, iChat and Safari use mDNSResponder to implement zero-configuration network music sharing, photo sharing, chatting and file sharing, and discovery of remote user interfaces for hardware devices like printers and web cameras. mDNSResponder is also used to discover and print to Bonjour printers and USB printers connected to the AirPort Extreme and Express base stations. mDNSResponder is open source, and hardware device manufacturers are encouraged to embed the mDNSResponder source code directly into their products to benefit from zero-configuration networking.

I did a lot of search and I now understand quite well what mDNS is. It is part of "bonjour" network service which allow discovery of other applications on same area (afp, screen-sharing, itunes, etc) without specific configuration. So bonjour is screwed up here in our case since the mDNSResponder service (which is an important part of bonjour) won't start correctly.

But I still got no clue how to fix it since I don't know exactly where the daemon is loaded from (must be from a boot shell-script) and also got no clue where he got his key.. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Hi guys... you have another member for this thread.

As I noticed...most of us have retail macs along side our homebrews...which is the way Apple should let it be!! Its not like they have any machines that fit these builds... its either a screeming 8 Core late machine or iMac!

anyway!

I have a dotmac account, love to use BTMM but am experiencing a lot of the same issues you guys are...

We also have the same boards for the most part.

I know that the problem is directly related to the LAN chip... I have actually ordered another card to test that some people have had great success with. Trendntiteg-pcitxr I will have it in a few days and will report back

In regards to what I am seeing ... and what I think..

What I think is that we need to do some EFI string mods to our com.apple.Boot.plist EFI STRING INFO

Look, I just started doing this stuff like 3 months ago...so I don't have all the answers .. but I'm sure we can figure this out..

Here is what I see in my box (BTW, I installed the RTL drivers from REALTEK today and a lot the errors in my logs went away.

Some examples:

AT BOOT:

2/13/08 4:44:33 PM kernel AppleRTL8169Ethernet: Ethernet address 00:1a:4d:5f:06:08

2/13/08 4:44:34 PM mDNSResponder[16] Adding registration domain drez.members.mac.com.

2/13/08 4:44:34 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.openssh.sshd) Unknown key: SHAuthorizationRight

2/13/08 4:44:34 PM DumpPanic[54] Error getting a reference to IODeviceTree:/options

2/13/08 4:44:34 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.DumpPanic[54]) Exited with exit code: 1

2/13/08 4:44:34 PM rpc.statd[42] statd.notify - no notifications needed

2/13/08 4:44:34 PM fseventsd[51] bumping event counter to: 0x9cf1af (current 0x0) from log file '00000000009ce95b'

THRU THE DAY:

2/13/08 7:05:29 PM mDNSResponder[16] Permission denied (NOAUTH): HEAT._device-info._tcp.drezn.members.mac.com.

2/13/08 7:05:29 PM mDNSResponder[16] hndlRecordUpdateReply: Registration of record HEAT._device-info._tcp.drezn.members.mac.com. type 16 failed with error -65537

2/13/08 7:21:19 PM mDNSResponder[16] Permission denied (NOAUTH): _autotunnel._udp.HEAT.drezn.members.mac.com.

2/13/08 7:21:19 PM mDNSResponder[16] hndlRecordUpdateReply: Registration of record _autotunnel._udp.HEAT.drezn.members.mac.com. type 33 failed with error -65537

2/13/08 7:22:20 PM mDNSResponder[16] Permission denied (NOAUTH): _kerberos.HEAT.drezn.members.mac.com.

2/13/08 7:22:20 PM mDNSResponder[16] hndlRecordUpdateReply: Registration of record _kerberos.HEAT.drezn.members.mac.com. type 16 failed with error -65537

2/13/08 7:22:44 PM mDNSResponder[16] Permission denied (NOAUTH): HEAT.drezn.members.mac.com.

2/13/08 7:22:44 PM mDNSResponder[16] hndlRecordUpdateReply: Registration of record HEAT.drezn.members.mac.com. type 28 failed with error -65537

2/13/08 7:23:26 PM mDNSResponder[16] Permission denied (NOAUTH): AutoTunnel-02-1A-4D-FF-FE-5F-06-08.drezn.members.mac.com.

We will figure this out... cuz its def an issue with the LAN... and while lots of people are saying its working fine...they are not power users like us.

Glad to find this thread

Gator

btw if you got into:HD>system>Library>Coreservices>mDNSResponder.bundle>Resources>You can look around... my localizable strings showed errors:"The name of your computer " = "The name of your computer ";"This computer’s local hostname " = "This computer’s local hostname ";"“" = "“";"”" = "”";" is already in use on this network. " = " is already in use on this network. ";"The name has been changed to " = "The name has been changed to ";"." = ".";"To change the name of your computer, open System Preferences and click Sharing, then type the name in the Computer Name field." = "To change the name of your computer, open System Preferences and click Sharing, then type the name in the Computer Name field.";"To change the local hostname, open System Preferences and click Sharing, then click “Edit” and type the name in the Local Hostname field." = "To change the local hostname, open System Preferences and click Sharing, then click “Edit” and type the name in the Local Hostname field.";"All attempts to find an available name by adding a number to the name were also unsuccessful." = "All attempts to find an available name by adding a number to the name were also unsuccessful.";"This may indicate a problem with the local network. Please inform your network administrator." = "This may indicate a problem with the local network. Please inform your network administrator.";What do you guys see?i clearly was still working... all the docs in each language say the sameI think that the:2/13/08 8:26:00 PM mDNSResponder[16] hndlRecordUpdateReply: Registration of record AutoTunnel-02-1A-4D-FF-FE-5F-06-08.drez.members.mac.com. type 1 failed with error -65537 2/13/08 8:26:49 PM mDNSResponder[16] Permission denied (NOAUTH): _autotunnel._udp.HEAT.drez.members.mac.com. 2/13/08 8:26:49 PM mDNSResponder[16] hndlRecordUpdateReply: Registration of record _autotunnel._udp.HEAT.drez.members.mac.com. type 33 failed with error -65537 may actually crash my system ... how bout you guys?have you guys noticed this in your IP settings?IPv6_info.tiffIPv6 info is not being updated ... this could be an issue for us

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=29436

http://www.mediafire.com/?fzmowvle1bc

Those 2 things seems to have fix my problem. Now everything is working ; afp in finder, screen-sharing, itunes. All work both way (from real mac to hackintosh and vice-versa).

Still got the shared key error during boot so it wasn't the problem.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=29436 http://www.mediafire.com/?fzmowvle1bcThose 2 things seems to have fix my problem. Now everything is working ; afp in finder, screen-sharing, itunes. All work both way (from real mac to hackintosh and vice-versa).Still got the shared key error during boot so it wasn't the problem.
So are you saying that you installed both of those? in that order?
http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=29436 http://www.mediafire.com/?fzmowvle1bcThose 2 things seems to have fix my problem. Now everything is working ; afp in finder, screen-sharing, itunes. All work both way (from real mac to hackintosh and vice-versa).Still got the shared key error during boot so it wasn't the problem.
I installed the first and see a major improvement so far... back to my mac is working...but who is to say, I will let you guys know more as the day progresses I would like to know more about what the second package does.. I looked at the authors website but he does not discuss it muchthanks for the find tho... the first one is working wonders so far

does anyone know what these are related to?

2/14/08 5:49:23 PM mDNSResponder[15] SetupAddr invalid sa_family 0

2/14/08 5:49:23 PM mDNSResponder[15] SetupAddr invalid sa_family 0

2/14/08 5:49:38 PM mDNSResponder[15] SetupAddr invalid sa_family 0

2/14/08 5:49:38 PM mDNSResponder[15] SetupAddr invalid sa_family 0

I wonder if that second install would make this go away?

First install has made my networking purr compared to yesterday... altho when our DNS server went down and came back up... it fubar'd me and I had reboot...or end up in :

2/14/08 4:27:14 PM mDNSResponder[15] Permission denied (NOAUTH): HEAT.drez.members.mac.com.

2/14/08 4:27:14 PM mDNSResponder[15] hndlRecordUpdateReply: Registration of record HEAT.drez.members.mac.com. type 28 failed with error -65537

2/14/08 4:27:27 PM mDNSResponder[15] Permission denied (NOAUTH): HEAT._device-info._tcp.drez.members.mac.com.

2/14/08 4:27:27 PM mDNSResponder[15] hndlRecordUpdateReply: Registration of record HEAT._device-info._tcp.drez.members.mac.com. type 16 failed with error -65537

2/14/08 4:27:33 PM mDNSResponder[15] Permission denied (NOAUTH): AutoTunnel-02-1A-4D-FF-FE-5F-06-08.drez.members.mac.com.

2/14/08 4:27:33 PM mDNSResponder[15] hndlRecordUpdateReply: Registration of record AutoTunnel-02-1A-4D-FF-FE-5F-06-08.drez.members.mac.com. type 1 failed with error -65537

Land when my machine tries to update for B2MM which leads to a GUI freeze... FUN

Those 2 things seems to have fix my problem. Now everything is working ; afp in finder, screen-sharing, itunes. All work both way (from real mac to hackintosh and vice-versa).

one more question .. are you using dot mac? back to my mac? do you see errors like this?

2/14/08 7:19:12 PM mDNSResponder[15] Permission denied (NOAUTH): HEAT._ssh._tcp.drez.members.mac.com.

2/14/08 7:19:12 PM mDNSResponder[15] Error -65537 for refresh of service HEAT._ssh._tcp.drez.members.mac.com.

2/14/08 7:19:50 PM mDNSResponder[15] Permission denied (NOAUTH): HEAT._rfb._tcp.drez.members.mac.com.

2/14/08 7:19:50 PM mDNSResponder[15] Error -65537 for refresh of service HEAT._rfb._tcp.drez.members.mac.com.

2/14/08 7:22:21 PM mDNSResponder[15] Permission denied (NOAUTH): _autotunnel._udp.HEAT.drez.members.mac.com.

2/14/08 7:22:21 PM mDNSResponder[15] hndlRecordUpdateReply: Registration of record _autotunnel._udp.HEAT.drez.members.mac.com. type 33 failed with error -65537

2/14/08 7:26:44 PM mDNSResponder[15] Unable to refresh LLQ _afpovertcp._tcp.drez.members.mac.com. (PTR) - will retry in 250 minutes

2/14/08 7:26:44 PM mDNSResponder[15] Unable to refresh LLQ _rfb._tcp.drez.members.mac.com. (PTR) - will retry in 250 minutes

2/14/08 7:26:44 PM mDNSResponder[15] Unable to refresh LLQ _dm-notification._udp.drez.members.mac.com. (TXT) - will retry in 250 minutes

2/14/08 7:29:45 PM mDNSResponder[15] Permission denied (NOAUTH): AutoTunnel-02-1A-4D-FF-FE-5F-06-08.drez.members.mac.com.

2/14/08 7:29:45 PM mDNSResponder[15] hndlRecordUpdateReply: Registration of record AutoTunnel-02-1A-4D-FF-FE-5F-06-08.drez.members.mac.com. type 1 failed with error -65537

2/14/08 7:29:47 PM mDNSResponder[15] Permission denied (NOAUTH): HEAT._device-info._tcp.drez.members.mac.com.

2/14/08 7:29:47 PM mDNSResponder[15] hndlRecordUpdateReply: Registration of record HEAT._device-info._tcp.drez.members.mac.com. type 16 failed with error -65537

2/14/08 7:30:45 PM com.apple.RemoteDesktop.PrivilegeProxy[135] mach_msg_server: (ipc/send) invalid memory

ok, but are familiar with what the second patch does? cuz frankly, the first patch helped, but i just got home and i can not see my mac across the WAN

thanks