Zephiroth Mac OS X 10.5.1 AMD Install Guide

pcmantinker

120 posts in this topic

@bosanci28: No worries. I wasn't able to get Kalyway's DVD to install on my AMD machine so I used Zephiroth's AMD DVD.

@ka911: What you are seeing is a kernel panic. Did you make your hard drive bootable? Or are you trying to boot off the DVD? If you have selected your DVD drive as your boot device, you'll need to change it to your Mac partition hard drive. Also, don't forget to apply the MBR to your mac partition. You won't be able to boot if you don't. Hope this helps.

i downloaded http://thepiratebay.org/tor/3909828/Mac_OS...2_SSE3_(32bits)

i then burnt and booted into it.

i chose to install on my empty ide drive, which was formatted to ntfs.

next i unchecked all the fonts/lang/drivers/etc, then pressed install.

it checked the dvd for faults but then once it was done it crashed and said "The installer could not create this folder "/volumes/Leopard/BaseSystem.pkg.130eyQ2V6"."

this could be because it was formatted wrongly (ntfs), so im going to reformat it to fat32 and see what happens.

my rig:

biostar NF4U AM2G MO

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+

HDD0 80gb ide = blank (did have ubuntu, but it doesn't work with vid card) * tried to install on this one*

HDD1 500gb sata = windows ( half for XP, half for Vista 64bit)

4gb ddr2 ram

evga 8800gts 512mb

dvd writer and a dvd reader

linksys pci wireless adaptor

Dear pcmantinker,

thanks alot for the reply.

this is my steps:

start the PC

load installation DVD

select Disk Utillity

Erase Partition - Option (MBR) with Partition 1 Name (Leopard)

start the installation

reboot - F8

diskutil list

fdisk -e /dev/fdisk0

update

f 1

w

q

reboot

I will upload my error screen shot very soon

Ok cool. Let us know how it goes. This isn't Zephiroth's release, but I am interested to see your results.

it isn't? oh well. :D

well for some reason vista and xp wont format my drive to be fat32. the only option is to format it to ntfs. any (free) suggestions?

Search for some free partitioning software. I used Norton Partition Magic (not free but works) to format my drive to FAT32. Don't format your drive with Mac Drive to HFS+. Let the Mac installer format the partition once you load. I have had issues with this before. I get errors like invalid partition table when I try to add MBR to the partition.

EDIT: Here is something to try: http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?fat32format.htm

Ok cool. Let us know how it goes. This isn't Zephiroth's release, but I am interested to see your results.

it´s not labled zeph but it is. there is afaik just one amd release ...

so you could get specific support in the wiki and forum dedicated to the zeph release.

I tried to install this installation but I get stuck on pick the language screen. I can't use my keyboad or mouse(usb) it seems after that screen comes up it turns my usb off I'm using asus kv8-se delux mobo and standard usb keyboard and mouse. Is there something I can do to fix this.

I tried to install this installation but I get stuck on pick the language screen. I can't use my keyboad or mouse(usb) it seems after that screen comes up it turns my usb off I'm using asus kv8-se delux mobo and standard usb keyboard and mouse. Is there something I can do to fix this.

try this link for help

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=35972

Zeph's AMD 10.5.1 DVD is the only one I can get to sucesfully boot and get to the OSx installation. I have an HP dv6500 with a 140GB SATA drive. I have an 8GB partition that I can't get the Disk Utility to format at all. It freezes every time. Also, I can't get any tools to format it to HFS+.

So I installed OSx on my USB HD. The OSx installa sees and can install to this drive, it fails at the end of the installation with a mesage about unable to write someting. I'll try and install again and see if I can get it. If I reboot and boot off the DVD with the -s and do the fdisk -e /dev/rdisk1 which is the USB hd it says that it updated the MBR etc. When I boot off the USB HD I get the following?

CODE SINGNING: cs_invalid_page: p=32[configd] clearing CS_VALID ID

Feb 7 03:54:40 localhost /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS/loginwindow[22]: Login Window Application Started

Resetting IOCatalogue.

VGA: family specific matching fails

Matching service count = 1

ACPI_SMC_CtrlLoop::initCPUCtrlLoop - pmCPUControl (PMIOSCETPSTATEABLE) returned 0x33db980

NVinject: Probing.

NVInject: Setting rom-revision=NVinject 0.1.3

NVinject: Setting @0,device_type=display

NVinject: Setting NVCAP=<data not shown>

NVinject: Setting @0,compatible=NVDA,NVMac

NVinject: Setting name=display

NVinject: Setting @1,name=NVDA,Display-B

NVinject: Setting device+type=NVDA,Patent

NVinject: Setting @0,name=NVDA,Sisplay-A

NVinject: Setting @1,cimpatible=NVDA,NVMac

NVinject: Setting VRAM,totalsize=<data not shown>

NVinject: Setting @1,device_type=display

NVinject: Setting model=GeForce 8400M GS

Feb 7 03:54:45 localhost mDNSResponder mDNSResponder-164 (Noc 4 2007 13:23:04)[21]: starting

dsmos: Initializing...

dsmos: Hoos and decryption contexts set!

dsmos: Starting...

Feb 7 03:54:47 localhost mds[20]: (/.Spotlight-V100/Store-V1/Stores/3EB05116-44E1-5F75-91E8-6E3650A0EC26)(Error) IndexCl in Content IndexOpenBuld: No Index

Matching service count = 1

NVinject: Probing.

NVInject: Setting rom-revision=NVinject 0.1.3

NVinject: Setting @0,device_type=display

NVinject: Setting NVCAP=<data not shown>

NVinject: Setting @0,compatible=NVDA,NVMac

NVinject: Setting name=display

NVinject: Setting @1,name=NVDA,Display-B

NVinject: Setting device+type=NVDA,Patent

NVinject: Setting @0,name=NVDA,Sisplay-A

NVinject: Setting @1,cimpatible=NVDA,NVMac

NVinject: Setting VRAM,totalsize=<data not shown>

NVinject: Setting @1,device_type=display

NVinject: Setting model=GeForce 8400M GS

NTFS driver 2.0 [Flags: R/0].

NTFS volume name , version 3.1.

Feb 7 03:54:49 localhost configd[32]: Cound not establish network configuration: Success!

|

It just sits there forever! My specs are as follows:

Ext. 40GB USB HD - This is what I'm installing Leopard onto. As stated above I can't get leopard to erase the 8GB partition on my int. SATA drive.

HP Pavilion dv6500 AMDx2 T-60 2.0GHz

1GB Mem

140GB SATA HD

NVidia GeForce 8400M GS

Bluetooth

Broadcom B/G/A/N Wireless (built-in)

etc.

Any help appreciated. I'm going to try and install with deselecting everything in customize.

Been hitting my head against my flatmate's computer for a while now, here's a rough guide that may help. It's mostly cobbled together from other guides, but it is always nice having it in one place :D I'll update it as I find out what causes it to fail at various steps (as it hasn't done the same thing twice yet... :wacko: )

After many, many, attempts to get this to work here is a reasonably comprehensive guide to getting Leopard working on an AMD computer! Not completely working mind you, and the level of workingness will vary according to your hardware.

1. Download Zephyroth's Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.1 for AMD SSE2 SSE3 (32bits) torrent.

2. Unpack the RAR on an NTFS drive using WinRAR (the .iso is > 4GB). (Start with part 001.rar - if you get errors re-download the bad parts).

3. Burn the .iso to a DVD (a 4.7 GB DVD will do).

4. Boot from DVD, press F8 for the boot options. Type -v -x in the command line and hit return.

4a. If you cannot boot from the CD, load your BIOS (usually Delete, F1 or F2, though it varies from computer to computer).

4b. Ensure that SMART is enabled.

4c. Make sure the computer is set to boot from the optical drive first.

4d. Fiddle with the settings until it does boot.

4e. Try disabling USB 2.0.

4f. Disabling USB altogether (you'll need a PS/2 keyboard, which causes problems later on - see step 17).

4g. Disabling the ethernet card.

4h. Disabling Bluetooth/wireless.

4i. Anything else that is non-essential.

5. When the installation screen appears go to Utilities>Disk Utility.

6. In Disk Utility click on your intended Leopard drive, then on the Erase tab. Erase and format a spare drive as a HFS+ (Jounarled) volume named Leopard.

7. In Disk Utility click on your intended Leopard drive, then on the Partition tab. If you don't see the tab, click on the Hard Disk directly above the one you have selected. Format 1 HFS+ (Journaled) partition as a Master Boot Record (click the options button), named Leopard.

8. File>Quit.

9. Continue with the Install, select your Leopard drive. Press the customise button (bottom right).

10. Deselect everything that you can.

11. Hit Install.

12. Wait.

13. Computer should restart when it finishes installing. If you didn't get the 'success' screen repeat steps 4-12. Leopard should now boot from the HDD, if it does, huzzah! If not, read on.

14. Boot from the DVD, press F8 for the boot options. Type -v -x in the command line and hit return.

15. When the installation screen appears go to Utilities>Terminal. Where diskXsX is written you need to type in your drive identifier, if you don't know it type diskutil list in Terminal, the two X's should be replaced with numbers. In my case the Leopard disk was called disk0s1. Type all of this with a return after each line:

diskutil umount /diskXsX

sudo -s

fdisk -e /dev/rdiskXsX

update

f 1

w

q

cd /usr/standalone/i386

dd if=boot1h of=rdisk0s1 bs=512 count=1

./startupfiletool -v /dev/rdiskXsX

bless -device /dev/disk0s1 -setBoot -verbose

diskutil mount /diskXsX

bless -mount "/Volumes/Leopard" -setBoot -verbose

reboot

16. The computer should now reboot and load Leopard from your Hard Disk, go through the User setup process and you should be done! If not try step 18.

17. If you have a PS/2 device you want to use (such as a keyboard or a mouse) you need to do a little more

17a. You need another bootable OS that can read the install DVD and your Leopard drive at the same time.

17b. For Windows you'll need MacDrive (the free trail version), OSX can do this natively.

17c. On your Leopard partition open the System/Library/Extensions folder.

17d. In a new Finder/Explorer window open on the DVD the System/Library/Extensions folder.

17e. Copy the ApplePS2Controller.kext file from the DVD to your Leopard partition

17f. Restart from the Leopard partition, all should now work.

17g. If it doesn't, invest in a new keyboard & mouse.

18. Boot from the DVD once more, and use Disk Utility. Click on First aid and hit 'Repair Permissions'. Then hit 'Repair Disk'. Reboot and try to boot from the Hard Disk. If it works, great! If not reply to this thread and I'll see if I can help :P

Here is the error I have after I reboot.

There's a problem with your drive or the drive controller! ( or the "driver" OS X is trying to use for it )

Look at the messages:

You're getting a "SAM_Multi..." error which generally comes from bad media (we usually see that when trying to boot / install from a defective DVD disc)

Then it "kernel panics" because initializing the boot drive fails.

it isn't? oh well. ;)

well for some reason vista and xp wont format my drive to be fat32. the only option is to format it to ntfs. any (free) suggestions?

well i used gparted to format my drive to fat32, then repeated the install procedure.

but now i have another problem

during the installation it freezes at 3minutes left, and i am forced to do a cold reboot.

suggestions?

Bad DVD or bad HD installation?

If I had a bad DVD Leopard it does not show any error in installation part, even I let the Leopard to check my installation DVD before start installing.

the other thing is I have HP m7640n and I don't have a lot of option in my BISO, and I'm trying to enable and desable some of the option I have like Adio, Network.. etc.

I do have 4 different HDs 2 SATAs, and 2 IDEs, only one of my IDE will work for Leopard The other IDE (40GB) it will work only with Window I can’t see it under Disk utility, even if I format the HD FAT32 ( I’m using PM 8.5 to format the HDs) and the other SATA HDs ( 500MB, I can’t format it with Leopard Disk utility, it will try for over 15 or 20 mins but it give me error that it can’t read this drive.

For that I use the IDE (20GB) for now.

Just looking at the picture you posted: (which doesn't actually show whether you're trying to boot off the Install DVD or a HD - but I'm assuming from the looks of it, it's trying to boot off a HD)

a. It's found some boot files because it's started the process

b. It's actually able to load a few .kexts (ie. MeDevil nforce, Firewire, etc.)

c. Says it "Got boot device = IOService....."

d. Identifies it as "BSD root: disk1s3, major 14..."

( which shows it as "disk 1, partition 3" - using IRQ 14 (typical for IDE HD) - is that you install HD & partition? )

e. then come the "SAM Multimedia:... errors ( normally happens when media can't be read correctly)

f. followed by "disk1s3: I/O error. ..." (which can't be good!)

g. then "hfs_mountroot failed: 5..." blah, blah

h. then to top it all off:

"panic(cpu o caller 0x002D78DE): "nfs_boot_init failed with 6\n"@/Volumes...

When I setup my Mac partition, I formatted the volume with HFS+. I know that FAT32 and FAT (DOS) partitions can be read/written to, but I just wanted to be sure that Mac wouldn't have any issues. The only thing is that the HFS+ partition only took up the first 128GB of my 200GB (186GB formatted) drive. I know this is a common problem but I have been able to make an NTFS partition utilizing the unallocated space. However, I cannot get it to mount in the Darwin startup. I am familiar with OS X's ability to read NTFS partitions. I just need to figure out how get it to mount properly.

im stuck as well. i get through the install just fine, but for some reason i cant boot it without the disk initiating it. the method posted here doesnt work for me. i think the drive is missing the darwinloader somehow. ive been looking at another thread (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=73874&st=0&p=521829entry521829) on how to make it bootable, but it doesnt work. any ideas anyone?

sys info:

AMD 4200 x2

A8N SLI mobo

nvidia 7900 gt

3 sata drives

update: ok, I did everything I can do and I still get this error, I tryed to get a nice pic but this what I have for now.

if any one can till me what else I need to do!

Now THAT'S just your standard, run-of-the-mill "kernel panic" caused by Zephyroths nVidia GeForce .kexts! Just about everyone gets that... See the Wiki - known issues.

All the files that start "GeForce" and "NVD" (or maybe just "NV") need to be REMOVED from the /System/Library/Extensions Folder. There are a couple of ways to do this. I usually just boot in safe mode ( -x ) and use Finder to move them to the Trash Bin once I'm in the OS X Desktop. You'll need to get past "Account Creation" first though... The Wiki describes a way to do this from the command line (Terminal).

but the thing is I can't login to Mac even with "-x" it will boot Leopard installation not my HD, and where is the link for Wiki

You can find the link for the wiki and a lot of info on my sign and also,on the forum started by Max33:greetings...

I have one problem

my mouse and keyboard stop working randomly and i have to unplug them and plug them back in to get them to work

everything else works fine except for that

i have a logitech G15 keyboard and a logitech g5 mouse

amd 5200+ athlon 64 X2

asus m2n-sli deluxe

nvidia 8800 gts 640mb

can anyone help me please