Dell Dimension 3000 - No Sound

ixcell

2 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I have installed Kalyway OS X 10.5.1 on my Dell Dimension 3000.

I selected MBR, Nvinject Desktop, and one of the sound drivers (Azalia, I believe). The install went great, completing successfully. I have since installed iLife '08, iWork '08, Office: Mac 2008, Audium, Google Earth, Camino, as well as copied all of my files from my backup on my iPod. (iTunes and iPhoto is fully loaded). I then came to realize that my computer was mute!

I quickly searched the forums, and followed at least 7 guides on how to get my sound working. These have lead me to extract and install many audio ktexts (extracted from my Leo install DVD using Pacifist). Only one seems to give me any result; the AppleAC97Audio.ktext. When configured, it gives me the volume slider, and the music progress par in iTunes (the one that shows how far in a song you are) moves, however I still get no sound. I have tried all 3 speaker ports on the back of my computer, (Blue, Green, and Pink, as well as the green port on the front of my computer), all to no avail. When I turn the speakers up to max, all I get is a faint "white noise" type sound, and crackling whenever I switch ports.

I did come across something interesting, however. Under the Audio MIDI setup, under Audio Output, the slider next to Ch "M" is greyed out, and unmoveable. I am guessing that M stands for master, and that could be the source of my problems? (I have attached a screenshot).

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I would love to be able to use my iTunes library again!

My system specs are:

Dell Dimension 3000

Intel Pentium 4 @ 2.8GHz, 533MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache

1024MB OCZ PC-3200 RAM (Custom installed by me)

80GB Seagate 7,200RPM HD

Nvidia BFG Tech. FX 5500 O/C 256MB 128 bit PCI Graphics Card (NOT PCI-Express; Custom installed by me)

Lite-On DVD-ROM Drive (Custom installed by me; ordered from Dell)

Sony CD-RW Drive

Samsung External USB DVD-RW Drive

harmon/kardon External Speakers

Integrated SoundMAX audio

Thanks a million for any and all help!

post-169320-1202002405_thumb.png

BUMP! (I fell to page 3 in 12 hours...)

Any and all help/suggestions/comments is greatly appreciated!!

I really need to get this sond working, as I cannot movie edit, listen to music, or even browse the web efficiently without it; and those are the main purpouses of this computer.

Thanks to whomever can help me!!