Computer Names

Swad

105 posts in this topic

Ok, here's a truly 1337 question. What are the names of your computers, both at home and at work? What kind of theme do you use?

You can tell a lot about a geek by the girls he dates the names he gives his computers. (Ladies, we're curious about yours too. :hysterical:)

Mine:

I have a server named Aslan.

The computer that I built (the one I use most often) is called Homebrew (in homage to the Steves)

My laptop has the most original name: mylaptop. I really need to come up with a better one than that...

Ive foolowed various schemes,

one network I had was above the herbgarden cafe, so the machinbes were basil, parsley, tarragon, garlic etc..

When I set up a new network at one of my previous jobs, I let the users name their own workstations, and they all ended up being London tube stations!

At the moment Im using frankensteiny themes, my trusty server Igor, the frankenmac etc.. oddly enough one machine has a boring name: winbox.

fwiw..

Trees. My machines are called Poplar, Yew, Aspen etc. for no better reason than I was staring out of the window trying to think of names for the current installation and saw a tree... I have one odd-one-out machine called "Stephanie" because it's a total {censored}. Stephanie, if you are reading this you know who you are! ;)

Edit - for a long time I had to look after a server which I called Andrew (after an ex-boyfriend) because it was unreliable, slow, sometimes lost data and always let me down when the going got tough.

My computer's named Frankenstein, after the fact that it took about a year to get it working (first the processor, then the hard drive overheated; now the power supply fan has started to only work about half the time).

The other computers were named by my mom; she decided to name one "Whirled Peas" and the other "Stop the Violins." Yeah... :D

heh.. as far as unreliable machines go I had a powerbook 5300 for a while, called Cicero. The hard drive was called Al Capone because it kept getting corrupted, and the scsi drive I backed up to was Lifeboat 13.. :D

Haha... I was with you until you got to Tilly Teapot... :withstupid:

Ouch, I'm certainly down with the A-Team references. I'd love to be able to go to my server and say, "What's the plan, Hannibal?"

I'm also a huge fan of the names with meanings, like metrogirl's ex and "Al Capone." Those are great.

mine is bigmac

Holy COW !!!!!!! Thats exactly wht i named my computer. I named it that because first when i had 10.4.1, it had a 6GB Partition Limit. After like a week of trial and error I finally got it to 10 GB. Thus the name BigMac stuck.

My boxes:

Trillian (24/7 downloader/media server, P3 733)

Zaphod (main machine, hackintosh - PD 920 2.8Ghz)

Marvin (Living room media box, AthlonXP 2400)

Ford (PowerBook G4 12'' 1.33Ghz)

I tend to reuse names when upgrading, so the names follow the role rather than the actual machine - eg Zaphod used to be a P4 2.4 until last weekend when I sold it to my bro. However, the Pentium D replacement is now Zaphod. Also when I sell my Powerbook and buy an intel iBook, it shall become the new Ford.

(I would also like to add that this naming convention started several years ago, when the books and radio series ruled, and way before the bollocks film came out.)

My previous naming convention was to simply name each machine '{censored}', because they were notoriously unreliable and generally {censored}. I suspect my growing up and developing some sort of sense of sexual politics (not to mention maturity) led to my changing tack.

At work my servers are named after Superheros.

Superman is a dual Xeon database server.

Spiderman is a dual Opteron the web server.

Batman is a Dual Athlon MP file server.

Robin is the backup to Batman.

Flash is the Mail server.

Human Torch is the firewall.

Wonderwoman and Captain Marvel are the Development servers.

At home I used to have a dual Athlon MP file server called "ZeroOne" from the matrix.

Now my machines are named after characters in one particular comic book "Mage" by Matt Wagner.

Edsel

Mirth

Matchstick

My boxes:

Trillian (24/7 downloader/media server, P3 733)

Zaphod (main machine, hackintosh - PD 920 2.8Ghz)

Marvin (Living room media box, AthlonXP 2400)

Ford (PowerBook G4 12'' 1.33Ghz)

Get that man a beer. The film did suck, the bbc tv series was great if only for its Dr Who-esque low budget appearance!

Server - SirLancelot

Desktop - KingArthur

Next server (getting the cash together for it now ;)) - SirRobin

Next desktop (again cash is needed :)) - SirGalahad

It eventually will filter down the list to the likes of BlackKnight and AnarchoSyndicalistPeasant :P