RTL8139D card not detected on P5K-V w/ Kalyway 9A581

okalex

10 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,I've just recently gotten Leopard working on my Asus P5K-V motherboard (G33/ICH9) using the Kalyway 10.5 disk. With the exception of the integrated graphics (running in VESA mode) and the on-board LAN (no driver for Attansic L1) the system is working well. Today, I bought a generic 10/100 NIC with a Realtek RTL8139D chip because the compatibility lists claim that this chip works out of the box (not sure if it matters that the card is some no-name brand). However, I haven't been able to get Leopard to detect the card. I've tried it in every PCI slot, and I've also tried using the driver provided here, but I still can't get it to work. I don't think this matters, but when I first set up OS X, I chose the option "This computer does not connect to the internet".Can anyone help me to get the networking up and running?

By the way, under PCI Devices in System Profiler it says, "This computer does not appear to have any PCI cards installed." I know that the card is installed correctly because it works in XP Pro, which is installed on another partition. I'm not sure if the PCI interface works on this motherboard or not. Does anyone else know?

Edit: Okay, I just read that System Profiler has a problem listing PCI devices. Using DPCIManager I could see all of my PCI devices. The RTL8139D card is listed at address 1904:8139. Do I need to tweak AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext to get this to work?

Update: I added my vendor and device IDs to Info.plist of AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext, repaired permissions, and reset the kext cache. The card is now being detected during startup, but in the initAdapter function, both the software and hardware resets are failing. I've added the output of "sudo dmesg" below.

Thanks,

Alex

alex-parkinsons-mac-pro:~ alex$ sudo dmesg | grep "8139"
com_apple_driver_RTL8139: vendorID = 0x1904 deviceID = 0x8139 revisionID = 0x0001
com_apple_driver_RTL8139: found PIO accessor at febffc00
com_apple_driver_RTL8139: found MMIO accessor at E801
com_apple_driver_RTL8139: using PIO access mode...
com_apple_driver_RTL8139: io access at csrBase=2df19c00.
com_apple_driver_RTL8139: Software reset failed...
com_apple_driver_RTL8139: Attempting hard reset...
com_apple_driver_RTL8139: chip reset timed out
com_apple_driver_RTL8139: initAdapter() failed
com_apple_driver_RTL8139: vendorID = 0x1904 deviceID = 0x8139 revisionID = 0x0001
dsmos: Starting...com_apple_driver_RTL8139: Software reset failed...
com_apple_driver_RTL8139: Software reset failed...

Hi, can you explain to me how you add the device and vendor IDs to the file?

Sure. In Finder, go to /System/Library/Extensions and right-click IONetworkingFamily.kext. Select "Show Package Contents." In the new window the pops up, go to Contents/Plugins and right-click AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext. Again, select "Show Package Contents." Then go to Contents and open Info.plist in either TextEdit, Property List Editor (if you have XCode installed), or some other text editor. In this file, there's a key named "IOPCIMatch" followed by a string entry. The string entry is what you want to modify. You can just add the new entry to the existing list (separated by a space). The value should be of the format "0x<deviceID><vendorID>", replacing <deviceID> with the device ID and <vendorID> with the vendor ID. Also, don't use quotation marks. As an example, my device ID is 8139 and my vendor ID is 1904, so I added 0x81391904 to the string, resulting in the following entry:

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>
<string>0x813910ec 0x13001186 0x12111113 0x81391904</string>

Hope this helps!

Good luck,

Alex

I installed the 8139d card before installing Kalyway. I also installed Realtek WiFi drivers (from the Kaly distro). When the system booted first time, card was present and was fully functional.

I also have "This computer does not appear to have any PCI cards installed." in PCI cards in About this mac. Maybe it's not the card, but your net setup?

I installed the 8139d card before installing Kalyway. I also installed Realtek WiFi drivers (from the Kaly distro). When the system booted first time, card was present and was fully functional.

I also have "This computer does not appear to have any PCI cards installed." in PCI cards in About this mac. Maybe it's not the card, but your net setup?

After talking to a few other people with the same problem, I've come to the conclusion that the card has a fake RTL8139D. It works in Windows, but only because I installed custom drivers. I assume that an actual RTL8139D would work out of the box in Windows, as well. Rather than waste any more time with it, I'm just going to get a card that I know will work. It's not a big deal because I only spent $8 on it, but I wish I could have my Saturday back.

Also, it seems that System Profiler doesn't detect PCI cards on any Macs, not just our hackintoshes. I get the same message on my (real) Macbook, and I've read other posts confirming this. You can use DPCI Manager to see the PCI devices attached on your system.

Cheers,

Alex

After talking to a few other people with the same problem, I've come to the conclusion that the card has a fake RTL8139D. It works in Windows, but only because I installed custom drivers. I assume that an actual RTL8139D would work out of the box in Windows, as well. Rather than waste any more time with it, I'm just going to get a card that I know will work. It's not a big deal because I only spent $8 on it, but I wish I could have my Saturday back.

Also, it seems that System Profiler doesn't detect PCI cards on any Macs, not just our hackintoshes. I get the same message on my (real) Macbook, and I've read other posts confirming this. You can use DPCI Manager to see the PCI devices attached on your system.

Cheers,

Alex

Sorry to hear that Alex! Very weird. Yeah my 8139d works out of the box on win system. It's a pretty old card, I think at least 5-6 years old. Still it's rather strange, why would someone fake that chip. Doesn't make sense.

I just checked my Macbook, I also have the same thing. Also, thanks for the hint on DPCI Manager, Alex.

• 1 month later...
Sure. In Finder, go to /System/Library/Extensions and right-click IONetworkingFamily.kext. Select "Show Package Contents." In the new window the pops up, go to Contents/Plugins and right-click AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext. Again, select "Show Package Contents." Then go to Contents and open Info.plist in either TextEdit, Property List Editor (if you have XCode installed), or some other text editor. In this file, there's a key named "IOPCIMatch" followed by a string entry. The string entry is what you want to modify. You can just add the new entry to the existing list (separated by a space). The value should be of the format "0x<deviceID><vendorID>", replacing <deviceID> with the device ID and <vendorID> with the vendor ID. Also, don't use quotation marks. As an example, my device ID is 8139 and my vendor ID is 1904, so I added 0x81391904 to the string, resulting in the following entry:

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>
<string>0x813910ec 0x13001186 0x12111113 0x81391904</string>

Hope this helps!

Good luck,

Alex

Thanks a lot

• 3 months later...

Well, if youre like me and you f**** up your intergrated gigabit LAN... Here's what you do..

1. Stick the PCI Card in. Make sure it is detected by your BIOS or it displays in your POST.

2.Don't worry about losing your data on your computer. This wont touch your files.

3. Install Kalyway without using "Disk Utility" to format your drive. Just install it normally.

4. Select ALL of the Network Drivers and any Wireless Drivers you need.

5. When you've finished installing Kalyway, boot into it. Now use the drivers posted above and install them.

6. Restart. Youre done!

• 1 month later...