[HowTo] Broadcom wireless cards in 10.4.3

DrJohn

41 posts in this topic

I have a Siemens Gigaset PC Card 54 Wireless card. It uses a Broadcom Chipset and is a 14e4 4320 card. When I had 10.4.1 installed it recognized the card (baseball diamond appeared), but with 10.4.6 i cannot seem to get it to even see that the card is plugged in. My IO80211Family.kext plist does include the 4320. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
You only have to do this step if your onboard ethernet isn't detected or you only have one network interface (the wireless one). The process that does the "baseball diamond" signal strength meter is stupid and always assumes the wireless interface to be the 2nd interface in the laptop, so it only works if the interface is en1.

*If your onboard (wired) ethernet is already working you shouldn't have to do this step*

op

Hey, I too have the Broadcom 4311 problem and this (post #10) works for me! Thanks man!

Edited by renbulao

• 5 weeks later...
*** Re-Edit *** Brain-fart. Had it right the first time. Arrrrgh stupid cp confuses me too much by changing behavior depending on whether you put a slash at the end of your directory name. Example.

cp -R Foo/ Bar/ Puts any contents of Foo/ into directory Bar/

However, cp -R Foo Bar/ puts the directory Foo into directory Bar.

So, the first gives you /bar/junk from foo/ The second gives you /Bar/Foo/junk from foo/

*** EDIT *** First post was WRONG. If you followed the instructions for copying IO80211Family.kext into your Extensions folder you would NOT have installed it correctly. I have marked it with an arrow.

This was found in another thread, but it took me a LONG time to find it. First, you must have one of the broadcom wireless cards. I am using the Motorola wpci80211g card from RadioShack, model 4320. You do the IO80211Family.kext fix, which goes like this: Unzip the 10.4.4 kext package (Search google, that's where I found it.)

Open a terminal, cd to the directory where IO80211Family.kext is located. Make sure you're not in a Windows partition, or else you can't put the permissions how you need it.

Here comes the code

cd IO80211Family.kext

cd Contents

cd Plugins

cd AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext

cd Contents

nano Info.plist

Here you want to add a line <string>pci14e4,4320</string>, replacing the 4320 with your own model number. You can find your model number in Windows XP Device Manager if you know where to look.

<array>

<string>pci14e4,4320</string>

<string>pci14e4,4312</string>

<string>pci14e4,4324</string>

--> <string>pci14e4,4320</string>

</array>

Now you need to change the owner and group to root:wheel

cd ..

cd ..

cd ..

cd ..

cd ..

I think that's the right number of cds, to be sure type ls IO802* and see if IO80211Family.kext shows up.

Now change the permissions.

sudo chown -R root:wheel IO80211Family.kext

sudo chmod -R 755 IO80211Family.kext

Now move it to your Extensions folder

sudo cp -R IO80211Family.kext /System/Library/Extensions/

Now reboot, you should see the white baseball diamond next to your clock.

Now do this in a terminal:

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

You want to edit these lines:

<key>BSD Name</key>

---> <string>en0</string> (Change the en0 to en1)

<key>IOBuiltin</key>

<false/>

<key>IOInterfaceType</key>

<integer>6</integer>

<key>IOInterfaceUnit</key>

---> <integer>0</integer> (Change the 0 to 1)

If they are already set to en1 and 1, then that's not your problem and I don't know how to help you.. But for me, then when I rebooted, I was able to configure AirPort in a snap. BTW, in nano, to exit and save the file, just press Ctrl-X, then if the filename printed there is correct, just press enter. I'm on a standard PC keyboard, so Ctrl may be something else on a mac keyboard, I have no idea. I still can't figure out WTF is a ? ? ?. BTW, if you can't see those, it's a funny T, Cloverleaf, Apple. Needless to say, I'm posting this in Safari!!! WOO! Been trying to get some networking on here for 4 days nonstop. GIGGLE!

EDIT: Removed attachment violating DMCA

Thanks Alot for this information my Gateway MX6214 with a Broadcom 14e4 4312 Wireless Worked with the information provided above please followed directions. thanks alot now to fix Sound....:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, i tried your instructions and followed them bit for bit untill the first reboot. Now i get stuck in a never ending boot screen (white with apple) and I cant boot into OSX. Any suggestions?

p.s

I might just want to buy a different wireless card.

can anybody tell me where to get an Atheros wireless card that will fit in my socket?

it should look like this one (see pic)

post-89407-1178752225_thumb.jpg

Worked great on my Sony TXN15P!! Only need to do the last part though (editing the .plist). The original Intel 3945 abg didn't work at all, but the Dell 1490 I put in works great now. Its faster and has better signal than the Intel chip in Windows.

• 4 months later...

very good worked 100% for me but instead of all the terminal commands i got lazy and logged in as root and just opened all the kexts in finder and edited the plists with text editor XD but anyway i got my "AirPort Extreme" working 90% now i just need to figure out how to fix the connecting with encryption... If anyone has figured out how please let me know no matter what key i enter it wont connect to my WEP encrypted WiFi.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have a strange problem that I can not find the answer to anywhere. I have ToH 10.5.1 (Zephyroth's version) running on an HP tx1220 with a Broadcom 4328, I have been through this and other tutorials and as far as I can tell my card is recognized. Here is my situation:

I have the signal bar icon, but it is "greyed out". If I click it I can "Turn Airport Off", "Join Other Network", "Creat Network", "Open Network Preferences..". If I select "Join Other Network" and then "Show Networks", nothing comes up. I am in an apartment that usually has many wireless routers including my own, but airport just can not find any. (I should also mention it works in Vista). I have tried manually configuring the IP, no avail. I have also tried iStumbler as well..it still can not see any networks.

In System Profiler it shows up under "AirPort Card" as "Third Party Wireless Card". I have switched "NetworkInterfaces.plist" from "en0" to "en1" and back (including the integer value).

I can switch the wifi on/off with the switch on the laptop, and the icon turns to the "Baseball Diamond".

I have noticed a few others with this situation, does anyone know of any possible causes or a solution, or even an idea as to what may be wrong here? Thank you in advance.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
very good worked 100% for me but instead of all the terminal commands i got lazy and logged in as root and just opened all the kexts in finder and edited the plists with text editor XD but anyway i got my "AirPort Extreme" working 90% now i just need to figure out how to fix the connecting with encryption... If anyone has figured out how please let me know no matter what key i enter it wont connect to my WEP encrypted WiFi.

Same problem here. Any solution?

Thanks!

• 1 year later...

See i tried all of these suggestions and maybe i screwed up somewhere but i have the pci14e4,4318 card and i can not getting it to show the snowball wireless next to the time. I have added the numbers to the list where array is and i still get nothing. Nothing seems to be working here.