Naked this, naked that

superstition

19 posts in this topic

There are how many idiotic "naked" shows on TV now?

Naked Chef

Naked Archaeologist

Naked Historian

Naked Brothers Band (Nickelodeon)

I've lost count. I'm sure there are at least twelve more I've seen on Dish when flipping through channels.

These programs (as well as food products like juice that use Naked in the name) highlight the absurdity of American culture's simultaneous obsession with the naked body and fear of it. There was a program on Spike (a cable channel) after Star Trek Next Gen years ago that was a stripping game show where the contestants wore so many layers of clothing they never ended up naked. In America, though, the point isn't about actually getting a payoff. (Even if someone did, imagine!, get naked, they would be blurred out.) American culture is about being led with a carrot on a stick to a dry well.

Even Fox's "SexyCam" blurs people out, despite being broadcast at 2 am on satellite, and having people go naked routinely in the show. It's cognitive dissonance in action. At least that show is funny sometimes, unlike the abomination that is "Pants Off Dance Off".

There are how many idiotic "naked" shows on TV now?

Naked Chef...................................

These programs (as well as food products like juice that use Naked in the name) highlight the absurdity of American culture's simultaneous obsession with the naked body and fear of it.

Actually The Naked Chef (Jamie Oliver) is better known as a British program (unless it has been imitated in the US).

http://www.jamieoliver.com/tv/the_naked_chef_series_one

The idea behind The Naked Chef was to strip food down to its bare essentials - to prove that you didn't need to dress up ingredients or buy a load of fancy gadgets to make something really tasty. Despite my Nan's worries, it definitely didn't mean that I was cooking in the nude!

I am not aware that the British culture has a "simultaneous obsession with the naked body and fear of it", at least not any longer.

Actually The Naked Chef (Jamie Oliver) is better known as a British program (unless it has been imitated in the US).

http://www.jamieoliver.com/tv/the_naked_chef_series_one

I am not aware that the British culture has a "simultaneous obsession with the naked body and fear of it", at least not any longer.

British or not, such a use of "naked" in a program's name where the host doesn't appear naked is bait and switch. However, the British generally aren't as ridiculous about nudity, as far as I know, making the usage somewhat less disingenuous.

British or not, such a use of "naked" in a program's name where the host doesn't appear naked is bait and switch.

either you don't know what 'bait and switch' means, or you've forgotten that words can have more than one meaning and "naked" applies to more than clothes:

Definitions of naked on the Web:

bare: completely unclothed; "bare bodies"; "naked from the waist up"; "a nude model"

having no protecting or concealing cover; "naked to mine enemies"- Shakespeare

(of the eye or ear e.g.) without the aid of an optical or acoustical device or instrument; "visible to the naked eye"

devoid of elaboration or diminution or concealment; bare and pure; "naked ambition"; "raw fury"; "you may kill someone someday with your raw power"

lacking any cover; "naked branches of the trees"; "lie on the naked rock"

British or not, such a use of "naked" in a program's name where the host doesn't appear naked is bait and switch. However, the British generally aren't as ridiculous about nudity, as far as I know, making the usage somewhat less disingenuous.

So basically it only counts when it's American, because...you know...it's American. I see.

either you don't know what 'bait and switch' means, or you've forgotten that words can have more than one meaning and "naked" applies to more than clothes:
Or, you're being disingenuous and petty.
So basically it only counts when it's American, because...you know...it's American. I see.
Straw man ad hominem. Why are you so upset?

I would like a lot of things to be naked that aren't.

I concur. Like {censored}. Or hairdresser places, barberess I guess so it doesn't sound really girly, that have naked haircutters. Or more topless nudie bars.

• 2 weeks later...