• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

-.-

-.-

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
But still there many good points about mac that can't be overlooked, lots of things to love about it and the best part is it isnt windows. Installing an app by just draging into the hd's app folder is just plain amazing.

It's beyond amazing it's downright :sorcerer: magical.

David -.-

39thRonin

39thRonin

Mac OS X - 10 Steps into the future of Computing...

• Retired
  • 356 posts
Well, think it depends on your training. My original UNIX training was with SunOS 3.5 - which was based on BSD. When Solaris came out, it was a pretty massive change. So, I'm not surprised that you are having issues. I mean it took me a very long time to stop using ps -ax (SunOS) and use ps -ef (Solaris), now I'm back to using ps -ax again... It is the small things like that you are used to flying through that can be a pain on any new OS.

Metrogirl

Metrogirl

Resistance is futile...

• Retired
  • 1,177 posts

Well, think it depends on your training. My original UNIX training was with SunOS 3.5 - which was based on BSD. When Solaris came out, it was a pretty massive change. So, I'm not surprised that you are having issues. I mean it took me a very long time to stop using ps -ax (SunOS) and use ps -ef (Solaris), now I'm back to using ps -ax again... It is the small things like that you are used to flying through that can be a pain on any new OS.

Haha! I had the same problem! I just hate it when you type command -blah and get a message saying that -blah is deprecated. I mean, why did they change it? As an occasional Luddite I have been known to compile stub apps, scripts and aliases that intercept my antique commands in the path and spawn the new command with the appropriate flags and switches. 'ps' is one of them. Bah.

Doug the Impaler

Doug the Impaler

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
Dude, you're trying WAY too hard. Xcode is on the 10.4.3 disc in the Developer Tools folder...at least, REAL Mac OS X DVD's are this way, I can't remember about the pre-release beta x86 version.

In fact, if you customize your installation, you get the dev tools as one of your options. You could have saved yourself some headache from the get-go had you just installed it all when you installed the OS. Sure, it's not the default, but it's on the CD.

mikesown

mikesown

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Whenever I heard about the exotic macs I was always told that it was incredibly easy to use and very neat looking. I'll agree about the neat looking. And if you use only the software that either ships with OSX or can be purchased from Apple Store then yea it just might be so easy.

But it's ridiculously hard to install basic applications that aren't already packaged like the installers or mini-drives (dmg files). Today I realised that OSX 10.4.3 comes shipped with Python 2.3 and the editor I wanted would probably prefer 2.4.... So, I went to python.org to get a backage but no beef, tar.gz is the only available thing. Being a penguin at hard that didn't scare me so down it went, but I can't compile it, obviously Apple delivers their Unix-derivative without proper compile tools. After searching the net I find out about Xcode.. Then I spend 20 minutes trying to get an Apple ID in order to download the 833mb monstrosity.

I chrash twice and give up, turning my attention toward a few prepacked python installers, they install Python2.4 and wxPython2.6 (what I wanted in order to run SPE, a brilliant python editor) -but- it's not overriding the default installations, no it's put as *.app files (a bit like *.kext and *.dmg files, more or less a small directory with subdirectories and files) and thus it won't help when I try to install SPE..
This is not impressive, it's almost as hopeless a fight as getting windows XP set up right!

Had this been any distro but the most obscure, I could've downloaded the packages precompiled and ready to go or in a worst-case-scenario, compile them mysel (<sarcasm>*SHOCK!* 3 commands and 5 minutes required! </sarcasm>). In OSX I've found no easy way, I suppose I'll have to get Xcode, but I would not expect your everday mac user to get Xcode in order to get his software running, unless you sell those macs with a broadband connection :)
What do you think ? Is everything smooth sailing for you or do you have some troubles of your own?

You're missing the fundamental point that Apple was built on. They build all software THEMSELVES. With the exception of applications like Photoshop and Word, Apple pretty much dominates the application market for its operating system. Think about it-- Final Cut Pro, Logic Pro, DVD Studio Pro, Motion. The list goes on and on. Even if apple doesn't make the application, they encourage developers to abide by their standards(use XCode to make a cocoa complient application in a .dmg installer file). The reason Apple computers 'just work' is because Apple has complete control over their market.

As for your python issue, again, Apple deals with it for a reason. They compile it, and get it running on Mac OSX flawlessly. However, because they have a very specific operating system, sometimes it will not work. Everything on Mac OSX is best done by apple. If apple offers an update for python-- get it.

Mac OSX is not the ideal operating system for you if you are picky about what you want to run. If you HAVE to run *nix tools, use Linux. If you love Apple's tools, and are happy with them, as many people are, then it is a great operating system!

xenopod

xenopod

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
guys take a chill pill !! omg !! who needs the differant arguments between operating systems stuff anyway, here a real point of viewi feel is relevant to all your arguments

1) i am a windows user

2) i have tried linux (various distros) and sorry i really dont like it

3) tryed mac osx 10.4.3 and actually i liked it alot, installed it played around with it for a week and found it to be quite an easy operating system to use, and to be honest only things keeping from buying a intel based mac is price and software availability

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy