Apple System Profiler crashes

Gantlett

5 posts in this topic

Hello everyone

I just happily installed Kalyway 10.5.1 on my wonderful PC and it all works great, except for one problem:

Apple System Profiler keeps crashing. It will not work.

I've got Vanilla, GUID and EFI. Sleep and Reboot work perfectly.

My rig:

E6550 2.33 @ 2.975GHz

2x1GB Kingston 800MHz RAM @ 850MHz

GA-P35C-DS3R, Rev. 2.0

nVidia 8400GS 256MB (works thanks to Punk92's great package)

SATA DVD and HD's

Also, from time to time, MacOS just freezes. The mouse moves but nothing works, not even the Force Quit menu.

How can I fix the Apple System Profiler crash and the general sudden crashes?

This computer has been running Vista perfectly for the past 4 months, so I know it's not a hardware problem.

Thanks in advance.

My Kalyway install did the same thing. System profiler would always crash when I would click on "more info" button. I got it to work fully by turning off MAXCPUID in the BIOS. Now it works great. You might want rto try that if your mobo BIOS has that option. Good Luck with it in any case.

Thanks, that solved the problem! :rolleyes:

However, I have another problem (which I had before disabling LIMITCPUID too):

Oddly enough, my Leopard won't shut down.

It restarts, sleeps and wakes from sleep, but when shutting down it gives me the black screen of death ("You need to shut down your computer. Press and hold the power button...").

Any ideas on that?

• 9 months later...
My Kalyway install did the same thing. System profiler would always crash when I would click on "more info" button. I got it to work fully by turning off MAXCPUID in the BIOS. Now it works great. You might want rto try that if your mobo BIOS has that option. Good Luck with it in any case.

Just an FYI, after updating my Kalyway 10.5.2 install to 10.5.5, System Profiler crashed with a divide by zero error. Turning off the MAX CPU ID in the BIOS completely fixed it. Thank you isotome!

• 1 year later...
Thanks, that solved the problem! :(

However, I have another problem (which I had before disabling LIMITCPUID too):

Oddly enough, my Leopard won't shut down.

It restarts, sleeps and wakes from sleep, but when shutting down it gives me the black screen of death ("You need to shut down your computer. Press and hold the power button...").

Any ideas on that?

Hi,

did this also solved your freeze (color spinning wheel) problem ?

I have the same problem.