KEXTs as Folders [SOLVED]

HackintoshPlease

14 posts in this topic

Can anyone help me understand why a good number of the .kext files in /System/Library/Extensions show up as Kind-Folder instead of Kext? I think they're working (maybe) but I'm also not having any luck getting network action, so I thought this might help.

Any ideas?

EDIT:

I fixed it by running Cocktail and having it Rebuild Launch Services and Repair File Associations.

A Kext IS actually a folder.....

If they do not end in XXXXXX.kext like XXXXXXX.kext.toh OR XXXXXX.kext.old then they will show up as a folder!

If you need to use them, rename them ending with .kext and do permissions on them and they should work again!

SticMAN

edit. Sorry, hecker you beat me to it! :wallbash::wacko::wacko::D:D

I should have stated my problem more clearly. I know that kexts are folders. These DO end in .kext. The affected files include 80% of the .kext files in /System/Library/Extensions. I have repaired permissions many times. I've also erased /System/Library/Extensions.mkext and rebooted. The kexts in question (for instance NVInject.kext) seem to work (I have working video), but they show as Kind-Folder. Some of the other kexts in the same directory are Kind-Kernel Extension. There is no problem with the File Names, and as I said, I've repaired permissions repeatedly. Any other ideas?

ps- I think that one or two of the .bundle files have the same issue.

A Kext IS actually a folder.....

If they do not end in XXXXXX.kext like XXXXXXX.kext.toh OR XXXXXX.kext.old then they will show up as a folder!

If you need to use them, rename them ending with .kext and do permissions on them and they should work again!

SticMAN

edit. Sorry, hecker you beat me to it! :D:D:D:D:D

• 1 year later...

i am having the same problem with 10.5.8.

I know this is waking the thread dead, but the title says that this is solved. I don't see the solution.

Can someone tell me how to get the os to not see these kext as folders?

• 1 month later...
Can anyone help me understand why a good number of the .kext files in /System/Library/Extensions show up as Kind-Folder instead of Kext? I think they're working (maybe) but I'm also not having any luck getting network action, so I thought this might help.

Any ideas?

EDIT:

I fixed it by running Cocktail and having it Rebuild Launch Services and Repair File Associations.

Hi,

I am in the same situation, but being a noob, I don't really understand how you solved the issue.

Would you mind sharing your experience, with some more detail-explanation-please?

I've run repair permission half a dozen times and also tried "onyx" "OSX tools", but nothing seems helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I am in the same situation, but being a noob, I don't really understand how you solved the issue.

Would you mind sharing your experience, with some more detail-explanation-please?

I've run repair permission half a dozen times and also tried "onyx" "OSX tools", but nothing seems helpful.

Thanks in advance.

run an application called cocktail:

http://prmac.com/release-id-4482.htm

"I fixed it by running Cocktail and having it Rebuild Launch Services and Repair File Associations."

• 1 month later...

hi!

i have the same problem and i'll try cocktail, but in my case

the kexts in admins account are shown like kexts and in the

other account (with admin permissions) they look like folders.

diskutility and osx86tools didn't help and now i'll try cocktail...

my extensions have changed their look since i droped accidentally

a kext into textedit. unfortunately my timemachine doesn't work

from this point up - the right usb-volume is mounted,

but timemachine cannot accept it.

so i cannot restore a previous well running system. sh**!

strange......

"...never touch the running system!"

• 1 year later...

Any ideas?

EDIT:

Thanks fixed it for me too, the problem happened to me after updating to 10.6.5