The fight! (?)

9 posts in this topic

Why do you want OSX on your system?

Its buggy, not all apps work , or not natively.

WHY ARE YOU HERE?

Here is my response, I love technology. simple. It move it creates it destroys its like a force that makes changes world wide!

I want to be part of it.

What are you about??

Are these questions we're supposed to answer?

WHY ARE YOU HERE?

;)

not to sound redundant or anything but:

"Here is my response, I love technology. simple. It move it creates it destroys its like a force that makes changes world wide!

I want to be part of it."

Sorry... I was just a little confused by answering "Why do you want OSX on your system?" with "Its buggy, not all apps work , or not natively."

Those aren't the qualities I look for in an OS. :)

Its buggy, not all apps work , or not natively.

WHY ARE YOU HERE?

Here is my response, I love technology. simple. It move it creates it destroys its like a force that makes changes world wide!

I want to be part of it.

What are you about??

1. Not when using it on approved hardware.

2. The Apps will be all unibin soon.

3. I used XP for my everyday OS for a year and found it to be wanting to say the least.

What don't I like.

1. Apple's philosophy on hardware design. I like choice and the "dull little boxes".

2. The overall attitude of my fellow mac users.

OS X is for me the same kind of experience as BeOS (and Zeta) is: some things you need are not (yet) working but the stability and incredible well-thought-of GUI and interface are so tempting that so start to use it more and more every day, even for daily use :)

Running both these OSes (Os X Finder and BeOS Tracker) on my laptop is like having a 6gHz system when comparing it to using Windows XP (explorer) on the same machine...

Simply no more waiting for explorer, not having to bother about what process might be using a file when trying to delete it, etc...

Just my two cents :)

1. I want OS X on my system because Windows XP simply doesn't install on a Mac Mini without Virtual PC... and I tried that, ecchh what a kludge. :gathering:

2. Nope, not my experience at all - Legacy code and Universal Binaries run acceptably well on a Mac Mini. ;)

3. I am intrigued by the efforts made to bring this OS to the x86 platform, but fear that soon Apple will be making those of you without their hardware regret the TLAs (three-letter acronyms) TPM and EFI.

I'm glad people see enough merit in OS X to actually get it working on non-Apple hardware, especially natively. I'm not seeing a horde of people ready to shuck XP and switch, however. Thus far we have mention of 26 confirmed iMac Core Duo buyers who've been won over (although some may be Mac owners already).

I'm also intrigued that there's this huge bounty on dual-booting OS X and XP... Even if someone achieves this, who really enjoys rebooting a computer to run a different OS? I like to settle for one environment where possible.

And given a choice between XP and OS X, isn't almost everything you do available for XP, usually in several more flavors than it is available for OS X? I pretty much have to use Toast for my media burning and mastering needs. The number of alternatives for XP systems in this category alone are staggering.

Don't get me wrong - I am very impressed with Safari, iLife, Toast, Automator, Applescript, even the Unix underlying OS X. Ultimately though we all choose our OS based on apps, and in general, there are few apps that are OS X only without an analogue on XP, and often better analogues at that.