[HowTo] Enable Quartz 2D Extreme

U.C.

51 posts in this topic

according to Quartz debug, my system does not support quartz 2d extreme?! I'm running an AMD 64 system with a Geforce 6800! Any clue?

Nvidia card? thats why - no 'proper' support for nvdia yet as far as i know.

Oh, also have enabled this on my system and the amount of mouse artifacts is now down to bear minimum and the GUI is lightning.

Good unexpected side effect :D

Mark

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

MACVIDIA guys :star_smile: they are moving so slow. They promiced QE in beta 5 but :angel:

Any other known method for Nvidia to enable QE? I need it bad for Final Cut Pro 5.1

GeForce FX 5700:

Chipset Model: GeForce FX 5700

Type: Display

Bus: PCI

VRAM (Total): 128 MB

Vendor: nVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0342

Revision ID: 0x00a1

Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 75 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Not Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

MACVIDIA guys :star_smile: they are moving so slow. They promiced QE in beta 5 but :angel:

Any other known method for Nvidia to enable QE? I need it bad for Final Cut Pro 5.1

So when are you drivers coming out? Since you sound like you can do a better job, you should come out with drivers that support QE/CI/GL. You can't? Then shut up and wait. Np_ never promised anything. If you need it bad, go buy a real Mac.

I enabled Q2DX on my Radeon 9600XT using the Quarz Debug Method and could not find any speed effort (only a little) but I discovered another interesting point: it affects mouse tearing!

Using Safari, the mouse tearing now changes between almost no tearing and sometime with each scroll step (using the scroll wheel). But, in summary, it's less boring than before. Let's say, if I use my scroll wheel a little slower, there's nearly no mouse tearing.

dripple

<dict>

<key>Quartz2DExtremeEnabled</key>

<true/>

<key>Quartz2DExtremeMinimumVRAM</key>

<integer>64</integer>

<key>Quartz2DExtremeMinimumDRAM</key>

<integer>512</integer>

<key>Quartz2DExtremeVendorDisabled</key>

<array>

</array>

</dict>

Got a question regarding the method used to calculate Minimum VRAM & DRAM to use with this tweak-

Given:

My system's VRAM total [system Profiler] = 256MB

On-Chip Buffer Size = 32MB

Bios is set to use DVMT @ 128MB

Total System DDR2 RAM 2GB

So how does one calculate the bare minimum to use for VRAM & DRAM without negatively impacting the system's performance and is there a formula here or by trial & error?

Many thanks,

TeKKi

• 4 months later...

In the System Profiler, you'll see Graphics/Displays along the left side. Click on that and you see some information show up in the right panel and this is where you'll see if QE and CI are enabled or not.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the post. Looked for a long time.

I installed AppleIntel830.kext and AppleIntelIntegratedGraphics.kext along with the GA plugin and GLDriver according to instruction. modified the 0x3582 as described.

After reboot, I notice that AppleIntel830.kext was loaded but AppleIntelIntegratedGraphics.kext cannot be loaded and yield the following error

kextload: extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelIntegratedGraphics.kext appears to be valid

21AppleIntelFramebuffer is not compatible with its superclass, 13IOFramebuffer superclass changed?

kextload: a link/load error occured for kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelIntegratedGraphics.kext

load failed for extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelIntegratedGraphics.kext

(run kextload with -t for diagnostic output)

I have a Dell Latitude X300 laptop with 855GME integrated graphic card. BCM4309 integrated wireless card, BCM5705M integrated network card, right now sound, wireless are all working except the 2D QE, I couldn't run google earth for mac on it.

Please shed some light on this cause, I search all x86 forum and googled it but cannot find any hints.

thanks,

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to install final cut pro and it says that I don't have Quartz Extreme support. So I downloaded a copy of Quartz Debug and I am not able to enable Quartz in the menu. When I tried editing the Config file in my video settings as discussed in this forum the changes were already the defaults. So what can I do to get final cut running?

I'm trying to install final cut pro and it says that I don't have Quartz Extreme support. So I downloaded a copy of Quartz Debug and I am not able to enable Quartz in the menu.

Quartz Extreme and Quartz 2D Extreme are two different things.

For Quartz Extreme, you need proper drivers for your video card. For Quartz 2D Extreme, you need Quartz Extreme and then enable it with Quartz Debug/Quartz Simple/file edit.

According to another post:

I have a GeForce 5200 with 128mb and I installed the latest MacVidia pakcage

Macvidia doesn't support Quartz Extreme or Core Image in the current version. Maybe the next version.

I just thought I'd share my experiences here, in the hopes that someone doesn't make the same mistakes I did activating Quartz 2D Extreme. Within a few hours of adding Q2D Extreme, I began experiencing severe kernel panics--so much so that I could no longer boot my system. After a tedious complete reinstall of JAS's 10.4.7, I researched Q2D Extreme and discovered that the technology has been left unactivated in Apple's most recent OS releases because of its "extreme" instability. It causes Kernel Panics, people. Be warned.

P.S. I'm running an Intel P4 3.2 Ghz (Prescott), 2 gigs of RAM, ATI Radeon x300 SE, inside a Medion M3 Composer 5200. Everything--with the exception of my ViaRhine ethernet card--worked out of the box.

????!

• 3 weeks later...
Is it me, or when i open that file, the texts it totally messed up??

same for me ..

bplist00Õ &2_Quartz2DExtremeEnabledZCompositor[DisplaySets_CGSInterocitorSelectMode\GLCompositorÑ _deferredUpdates¡¡ ß !"#$%&&' )&*%&&+&+)&-./&01VHeight_UnmirroredOriginXXMirrorIDYDisplayID_StereoBlueLineSyncVActive

UnmirroredWidthTUnitWIOFlags_UnmirroredHeightXMirrored_DisplaySerialNumber

ModeWOriginX^UnmirroredModeUWidthXIsStereoWOriginYUDepth_DisplayProductID_IO

isplayLocation_UnmirroredOriginY_DisplayVendorID_RefreshRate16.16°_@

@=_†IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/XVR0@E/IOPCI2PCIBridge/display@0/OMNI,CALLISTO/CallistoFB/display0/AppleDisplayunknUÒ3455ZtileHeightYtileWidth,7C^klo?ƒ…‡ºÁÕÞèý#6?UZbqw€ˆŽ¡µÉÛîñóøùüÿ ’—œ¡¬¶6¹

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
same for me ..

bplist00Õ &2_Quartz2DExtremeEnabledZCompositor[DisplaySets_CGSInterocitorSelectMode\GLCompositorÑ _deferredUpdates¡¡ ß !"#$%&&' )&*%&&+&+)&-./&01VHeight_UnmirroredOriginXXMirrorIDYDisplayID_StereoBlueLineSyncVActive

UnmirroredWidthTUnitWIOFlags_UnmirroredHeightXMirrored_DisplaySerialNumber

ModeWOriginX^UnmirroredModeUWidthXIsStereoWOriginYUDepth_DisplayProductID_IO

isplayLocation_UnmirroredOriginY_DisplayVendorID_RefreshRate16.16°_@

@=_†IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/XVR0@E/IOPCI2PCIBridge/display@0/OMNI,CALLISTO/CallistoFB/display0/AppleDisplayunknUÒ3455ZtileHeightYtileWidth,7C^klo?ƒ…‡ºÁÕÞèý#6?UZbqw€ˆŽ¡µÉÛîñóøùüÿ '—œ¡¬¶6¹

same for me..

Am i doing something bad?? :unsure:

I used Quartz Debug to test to see if Q 2D E benifits me.

First of all, I have a GeForce 5200 FX with full support to CI/QE currently installed.

To test I decided to use xbench:

Before running Quartz Debug my score was 74.10.

After enabling Q2DE my score was 74.10 and no noticable difference in fps or cpu usage.

Turning off Bean Synch raised my score up to 89.77, but visibly no difference at all and no noticable page tearing, just higher fps.

I then noticed Quartz Debug has a Display Window List option. Running that I noticed nothing was using Q2DE no matter what I tried. No wonder why it didn't change my xbench.

All in all, when enabling Q2DE check using some sort of benchmark or program that tells you how much it is increasing or decreasing preformance. It might end up being a hassle that isn't worth it to begin with. It isn't like a normal mac user has it enabled anyways.

• 5 months later...