P5W DH Deluxe and Jmicron SATA controller - working?

pj42

5 posts in this topic

The title pretty much says it all. I'm looking to build a big honking fileserver, and I'm going to need at least 4 SATA ports. I've seen some vague references to Jmicron support on the P5W DH Deluxe (to enable the second set of four SATA ports) but nothing conclusive, and nothing at all in regards to speed and/or stability with the Jmicron driver.

I've pretty much settled on the P5W DH Deluxe and the only thing preventing me from ordering is confirmation on the number of SATA ports that are actually usable. Failing this, are there any other stable motherboards that support more than four SATA devices? And failing this, are there any PCIe SATA boards that are supported and don't cost an arm and a leg?

Many thanks in advance!

• 7 months later...

The jmicron controller on the P5W dh works, as in it's detected and you can access the drives.

however i've had nothing but problems with it, under linux, mac os x and windows.

In OSX, sometimes the drive on the eSATA port isn't detected, sometimes the one on the internal SATA stops responding.

In Windows, i get hangs every few minutes when transferring large amounts of data (mouse pointer gets stuck and audio stutters).

In Linux, sometimes the OS loses access to the drive and i have to umount and remount the partitions.

Furthermore i've had problems when using the PATA connector where my PATA drives drop to PIO mode for no apparent reason.

Long story short, don't use the onboard jmicron controller.

I do however have a Bytecc/Jmicron PCIe SATA/PATA RAID card and it works great with all OSes except that hardware RAID isn't supported in OSX.

If you're looking for RAID, this controller seems to be supported on OSX by the manufacturer : http://canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=Sh...;cid=IO.898.149

• 2 months later...

I have a P5W DH Deluxe, Kalyway 10.5.2 to 10.5.5. 1 SATA DVD, 2 SATA HDs, all connected to the first 3 ports controlled by Intel ICH7R.

I want to use another hard drive. Which port should I use? I suppose I need the one in the back, SATA_RAID1, controlled by JMicron. Are there any drivers for that?

Thanks,

Rodrigo

• 4 weeks later...
I have a P5W DH Deluxe, Kalyway 10.5.2 to 10.5.5. 1 SATA DVD, 2 SATA HDs, all connected to the first 3 ports controlled by Intel ICH7R.

I want to use another hard drive. Which port should I use? I suppose I need the one in the back, SATA_RAID1, controlled by JMicron. Are there any drivers for that?

Thanks,

Rodrigo

You can disable the ez-raid function and use the first ez-raid port as a regular intel ICH port. If you want to use the onboard JMicron, set your controller to AHCI mode in the bios (Onboard Devices > JMicron) and use either JMicronATA.kext or AppleVIAATA.kext (probably included in your install DVD, or you can try http://code.google.com/p/darwin-ata/downloads/list. The official drivers from JMicron.com.tw gave me kernel panics.)