How can I get AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext?

bond00

5 posts in this topic

I have a 2.2 Ghz Core 2 Duo processor with ICH8 chipset mobo. I am having a h3ll of time getting a stable system!! My main problem is CPU overheating. The temperature will get up to 100 C...and then of course do an emergency shutdown. The idle temp is often around 70 C, which seems very high. Also, if I run it on battery, the system will usually lock up on boot just after "starting dsmos...". Between that and the overheating issue, I'm close to giving up. I've tried Kalyway, iATKOS, and 3 different versions of Tiger!!

I know alot of people have problems with AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, but I've heard a select few actually have that kext solve their problems....that is what I'm hoping. My CPU and mobo are very close to stock Apple hardware so I'm hoping having that kext installed with help me.

My problem is that I don't know how to get it...in all of my installs, the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext has not been in /System/Library/Extensions. Does anyone know where I can get the kext and install it? Or if you have other ideas as to why my install is so unstable regarding power management I would love to hear!! Thanks!

the appleintelcpupowermanagement kext does not function on almost all hackintosh setups. and core duos and core 2s (like mine and yours) DEFINITELY don't work with it. in some cases the kext causes panic. what you need to do is re apply thermal compound on your cpu and check the air flow in your case. maybe get a new heatsink/fan for your cpu. no speedstep function is going to lower a temp of 100C. thats a hardware problem my friend.

• 1 year later...

Ok forgive the n00b questions here. I have installed 10.5.8 successfully on almost every mb I have (ASUS, Intel and Dell desktop and laptop) but I just cannot seem to get SL to work! In fact, I can't even get it to install! On my ASUS P5B-E (using Empire EFI) it just hangs after I put in the SL DVD (retail) at the appleIntelCPUPowerManagement timeout.

I created a read/write DMG of the SL Install DVD, but I can't re-burn it to disc because it is too big. My hope was to just delete the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext file entirely, but not sure if that will work. If you haven't installed the OS yet, how do you delete a kext file? Would that really fix it, or do I need fakesmc? I guess my first stumbling block is that I don't know how to edit files since I can't get it installed to begin with.

Thanks,

xtort

Try deleting the AppleCPUthermo.kext; see if that helps.

the appleintelcpupowermanagement kext does not function on almost all hackintosh setups. and core duos and core 2s (like mine and yours) DEFINITELY don't work with it.

No, you're wrong. Check your sources, if they are wrong about something as fundamental as this..

AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext can work with any Core-microarchitecture based CPU, and (this is a guess though but Apple are using those now) Nehalem CPUs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core_(microarchitecture)

If it doesn't work, it's not the CPU's fault, something else is wrong.

AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext does not work with Pentium 4/D CPUs and earlier because it makes use of an instruction that these CPUs do not have.

/EDIT

wow didn't see the OP was almost two years old. Well it was true two years ago too.