Support for iPhone/iPod touch browser

30 posts in this topic

I know there's two topics about this, but how about we bring them together for a civilized conversation?

Point #1) - A nice icon for webclip

The Insanely Mac logo against the aqua blue would be extremely nice

There was one in the other thread....

post-146431-1201309226.png

EDIT - This one's nice, but the logo should be just a bit smaller..the 'auto curving' of the icon edges look like they would cut into the logo. I realize I'm being picky....

Point #2) - Designed for the iPhone/iPod touch screen

Yes, I realize there's a PDA view. It looks terrible.

Something designed specifically for the mobile Safari? Avatars and Signitures could be cut out to make load time faster. Images could all be auto-reduced....

I can't imagine a full re-design of a web-forum for mobile Safari is something you could toss out in a few hours, and some things, like user profile editing and such probably don't need to be touched. But the constant re-sizing and waiting on a 30 different avatars and signitures to load really gets on my nerves.

Not sure about you guys....

Point #3) - Forum can recognize Safari

Google can do it. Facebook can do it. (Those are really all I use =p )

When accessed with mobile Safari, the forum should be cool enough to load in iPhone version.

Seem like something we could see in the near future?

At least the webclip icon would be really cool....

=D

I was thinking more of "Smaller logo, more background."

I mean, you look at the other icons on the programs, like Mail or Phone or iPod or SMS....the picture in the icon doesn't take up the WHOLE icon....

Like I said...I'm being picky.

Well you can disable avatars and sigs by doing this: My Controls -> Board Settings -> Do you wish to view members signatures when reading topics?

Although a idea for a more portable skin ain't so bad. But it will involve a lot of editing and will deffo not be only made for teh iPhone. Also its not a matter of if we can't do it or not. I know we can do it but the problem is implementing it would be the right choice.

The bad thing about doing something like that is, I view the forum on two things: My iPhone, which has a small screen, and loads pages slow. And then I've got a laptop, but that's hooked up like a desktop to a gorgeous 24" monitor. Now, if I disable that for when I'm out on my phone at work, or even if I change views at the bottom of the page, that immediately affects the view on the other. And I don't really want to switch every time I get on this site. I read a lot of stuff on here, if nothing else, and I post a fair amount.

My point was that it should be possible to run a browser check on page load, and a skin switch to "iPhone view" on Mobile Safari, and a skin switch to normal on everything else. What I was saying was Google does it really well. And I know Facebook does a pretty good job of knowing if you're running Mobile Safari. I mean, I've run a lot of browsers, and I've never had either of those sites revert to their iPhone views while I'm on a desktop....

I'm not saying that I know how easy these things are to implement either...I'm just saying that's a wishlist.

I've been thinking about this for a month or two but can we not have a PDA version which has login so we can send/receive PMs and staff can view the staff forums? I often browse the site with my N95 and often use the PDA version because the full version is just too slow and big. But more recently I've got really frustrated with how insufficient it is. It would be nice to have a better skin layout or maybe some colour but nothing to flashy.

I apologise if this is high jacking the discussion but I just didn't want to create another topic on what really is the same issue. If need be I will create another thread for this but I hope we can merge and discus these similar issues together.

Maybe re-making the PDA skin could be the goal of this...

BTW, I know I can bookmark this site. I still have a bookmark for this site. I like webclip, however, and I like having it on my home screen.

Ah, it's like the old days of optimising sites to run in Netscape :)

As much as I like the idea of optimising sites to run on the iPhone, doesn't it go against everything?

Firstly, the iPhone is meant to be able to view sites like a desktop browser, so we shouldn't need to change anything.

Secondly, web standards exist so there is no need to optimise for a browser...

Just my 1p (2 cents at the current exchange rate)

Firstly, the iPhone is meant to be able to view sites like a desktop browser, so we shouldn't need to change anything.

Yeah, but, it is very annoying to zoom in and out until your fingers hurt....

Ah, it's like the old days of optimising sites to run in Netscape ;)

As much as I like the idea of optimising sites to run on the iPhone, doesn't it go against everything?

Just my 1p (2 cents at the current exchange rate)

Web standards eh?

You men that all my websites should load and work the same, whether I'm using Safari, Camino, Flock, Firefox, Opera, or IE?

'cause let me tell you, that'd be reaaaly nice.

I agree to this. I love to read up on new posts or my Hackintosh on the go.

I'm OK with the full forum skin, but A iPhone based skin would be GREAT.

Maybe you guys could make the posts look like the iChat bubbles. I'd use the forum on my iPod so much more if it was like this. :D

Hope to hear some good news soon!

• 1 month later...

First off I have to come clean and say that I joined this forum for the sole purpose of participating in this topic.

That being said I have to say that I completely support the work you're doing on creating a IPB skin for the iPhone/iPod Touch!

Is there any chance you'd care to share it with anyone? :hysterical: